Biceps after Back

  1. Registered User
    RJW719's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    379
    Answers
    0

    Biceps after Back


    How many people here train back and biceps on the same day?

    I am interested in trying this, but am concerned that by the time i am done with my back work my bis will be shot and i wont be able to do much for the isolation work.

    Just wondering if those of you who train bis after back have experienced better gains in doing it that way instead of doing bis on a separate day.

  2. Registered User
    waynaferd's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,172
    Answers
    0


    I do them after a back routine, and they do get worked pretty well from the compounds, but I always get a good pump going fairly easily afterwards with some curls.

    And the compounds are what will build your arms, not curls and extensions, BTW....
    True story:

    I give a f**K!!
  3. Registered User
    way8lifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by RJW719 View Post
    How many people here train back and biceps on the same day?

    I am interested in trying this, but am concerned that by the time i am done with my back work my bis will be shot and i wont be able to do much for the isolation work.

    Just wondering if those of you who train bis after back have experienced better gains in doing it that way instead of doing bis on a separate day.
    Good! that means you won't need many sets or much time to fry them
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,253
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by waynaferd View Post
    I do them after a back routine, and they do get worked pretty well from the compounds, but I always get a good pump going fairly easily afterwards with some curls.

    And the compounds are what will build your arms, not curls and extensions, BTW....
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Just make sure you're contracting your muscles as much as you can for the last few sets you do for biceps. You don't need much isolation at all after doing most of the movements that your typical back day consists of.

    Also you can try more grip work so that you grip is stronger and you use your arms less during back movements so that you can work them harder at the end. But waynaferd said it pretty well: they do get worked pretty well from compound movements
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  5. Registered User
    urbanski's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,195
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by waynaferd View Post
    I do them after a back routine, and they do get worked pretty well from the compounds, but I always get a good pump going fairly easily afterwards with some curls.

    And the compounds are what will build your arms, not curls and extensions, BTW....
    ^^that. but as an aside, on my push/pull split i do curls on pull day after deads, and on 5/3/1 i do them on arm day after OH press.
  6. Registered User
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    864
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by RJW719 View Post
    How many people here train back and biceps on the same day?

    I am interested in trying this, but am concerned that by the time i am done with my back work my bis will be shot and i wont be able to do much for the isolation work.

    Just wondering if those of you who train bis after back have experienced better gains in doing it that way instead of doing bis on a separate day.
    While staying about the same body weight, my biceps have gotten larger in the past year or so since I've been doing biceps after back routinely. After a back workout your biceps are very warmed up, but still do one acclimation set before you hit them hard just to get them warmed up through a full range of motion.

    I think the trick is to do low volume, high intensity stuff. I usually work back/biceps twice per week but as far as total volume for biceps, I do about 5-6 exercises a week for them. Sometimes as low as 4-5 total sets per week. Technique is extremely important here. Your biceps undergo a lot of positive stress from heavy back work, but where you get that quality biceps training is all in the technique. Form is way more important than poundage, especially with biceps. I'm not saying don't train heavy, but never trade form for more weight.

    Here are some of my favorite biceps exercises -

    Barbell biceps curls: Pick a weight that will allow you to do at least 6-8 full, quality reps. Grip the bar a little wider than shoulder width so that when you curl the bar, your forearms should be perpindicular to the floor or maybe a bit wider. Keep your wrists straight when you start the curl so that the biceps do as much work as possible; When you curl the wrist at the beginning of a barbell curl, the extra forearms work will be taking away from the biceps.. Curl the bar through a wide arc while keeping the elbow movement to a minimum. At the top of the curl, sqeeze your biceps just so you never let up on that tension in the muscle. Then lower the weight slowly and under control. At the end of my regular set I may do a couple reps of cheat curls where I use a little extra umph to get the bar up (just enough, not a lot), then lower the weight slowly. By doing this, you're using extra muscle to get the bar up but your biceps are still having to work as hard as they can (so even though it's "cheating," you're making the exercise harder for the biceps). That's how you get the most bang for your buck with barbell curls!

    Any curl with dumbbells: Start with the wrists facing forward and as you curl the weight up, rotate the wrists so that at the top of the movement you're pinky is trying to go higher than your thumb. With DBs, it's all in that wrist supination. Still keep a wide arc to the curl, squeeze at the top and lower slowly and under control. I espeically like incline DB curls and seated alternating DB curls (with DBs, keep it strict.. Good biceps "isolation.").

    Preacher curls: This is a good exercise where you can't really cheat and your biceps are doing a lot of work. But what I really like is one-arm DB preacher curls. This way you work each arm in complete isolation so you can give your full concentration. Also at the end when you can't do any more reps, you can use your free hand to give just a little help to get 1 or 2 more reps. Lower the weight very slowly.


    Occassionally throw in some hammer curls, reverse curls or concentration curls as a biceps exercises or maybe some extra forearm work (behind the back barbell wrist curls and DB wrist exentions mostly).


    After a biceps (short, intense) biceps workout, supinate/pronate your wrist back and forth until you get a crazy pump in the biceps, then flex them for a little bit. Then stretch them out really well. If you're lean enough, you'll be able to tell a difference in definition from doing this. Flexing some between sets helps as well.


    Doing this, I've added about 1/2 inches to my arm in a year while keeping about the same bodyweight (+/- 2-3lbs). And my goal really isn't to bulk up either.

    Before this I thought poundage mattered more than it did (for biceps anyway). The only biceps exercise where I really think about poundage is heavy barbell curls.

    Anyway, that's what I've been doing and it really works.
  7. Registered User
    RJW719's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    379
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    While staying about the same body weight, my biceps have gotten larger in the past year or so since I've been doing biceps after back routinely. After a back workout your biceps are very warmed up, but still do one acclimation set before you hit them hard just to get them warmed up through a full range of motion.

    I think the trick is to do low volume, high intensity stuff. I usually work back/biceps twice per week but as far as total volume for biceps, I do about 5-6 exercises a week for them. Sometimes as low as 4-5 total sets per week. Technique is extremely important here. Your biceps undergo a lot of positive stress from heavy back work, but where you get that quality biceps training is all in the technique. Form is way more important than poundage, especially with biceps. I'm not saying don't train heavy, but never trade form for more weight.

    Here are some of my favorite biceps exercises -

    Barbell biceps curls: Pick a weight that will allow you to do at least 6-8 full, quality reps. Grip the bar a little wider than shoulder width so that when you curl the bar, your forearms should be perpindicular to the floor or maybe a bit wider. Keep your wrists straight when you start the curl so that the biceps do as much work as possible; When you curl the wrist at the beginning of a barbell curl, the extra forearms work will be taking away from the biceps.. Curl the bar through a wide arc while keeping the elbow movement to a minimum. At the top of the curl, sqeeze your biceps just so you never let up on that tension in the muscle. Then lower the weight slowly and under control. At the end of my regular set I may do a couple reps of cheat curls where I use a little extra umph to get the bar up (just enough, not a lot), then lower the weight slowly. By doing this, you're using extra muscle to get the bar up but your biceps are still having to work as hard as they can (so even though it's "cheating," you're making the exercise harder for the biceps). That's how you get the most bang for your buck with barbell curls!

    Any curl with dumbbells: Start with the wrists facing forward and as you curl the weight up, rotate the wrists so that at the top of the movement you're pinky is trying to go higher than your thumb. With DBs, it's all in that wrist supination. Still keep a wide arc to the curl, squeeze at the top and lower slowly and under control. I espeically like incline DB curls and seated alternating DB curls (with DBs, keep it strict.. Good biceps "isolation.").

    Preacher curls: This is a good exercise where you can't really cheat and your biceps are doing a lot of work. But what I really like is one-arm DB preacher curls. This way you work each arm in complete isolation so you can give your full concentration. Also at the end when you can't do any more reps, you can use your free hand to give just a little help to get 1 or 2 more reps. Lower the weight very slowly.


    Occassionally throw in some hammer curls, reverse curls or concentration curls as a biceps exercises or maybe some extra forearm work (behind the back barbell wrist curls and DB wrist exentions mostly).


    After a biceps (short, intense) biceps workout, supinate/pronate your wrist back and forth until you get a crazy pump in the biceps, then flex them for a little bit. Then stretch them out really well. If you're lean enough, you'll be able to tell a difference in definition from doing this. Flexing some between sets helps as well.


    Doing this, I've added about 1/2 inches to my arm in a year while keeping about the same bodyweight (+/- 2-3lbs). And my goal really isn't to bulk up either.

    Before this I thought poundage mattered more than it did (for biceps anyway). The only biceps exercise where I really think about poundage is heavy barbell curls.

    Anyway, that's what I've been doing and it really works.

    Wow, nice write up! Im definitely gonna try implementing these ideas into my routine and see how it goes.

    Thanks for the advice!
  8. Registered User
    KashMoni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    155
    Answers
    0


    I do...although I'm always concerned about the fact that can't get all those variations of curls in for that small muscle in...
    P-Mag + P-Stanz Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/174851-p-mag-p.html
  9. Board Supporter
    hypo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    524
    Answers
    0


    Dumbbell preacher curls are the only exercise anyone needs for biceps. Preferably with elbow on the vertical side of the pad. Impossible to cheat, feels great, full range of motion, you can angle your wrist any way you want, safe for the back, even development of both bis, and you can even self assist/spot with your other hand to force some reps if you want.

    I also have just always done them after back day.
  10. Registered User
    cvs766's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    58
    Answers
    0


    I do them on a separate day for the reason you mentioned...they can have a much better workout if you work them with triceps (what I do), chest, etc.
    I used to train them on the same day but found what I do now to be more effective...to each his own.
  11. Registered User
    RJW719's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    379
    Answers
    0


    I have now been doing biceps after my back routine for the last couple weeks and am really liking it.

    I had been reluctant to switch because of the decrease in the amount of weight I could use for my bis, but I decided to leave my ego at the door and drop down in weight. I have really been focusing on form and the negative portions and it feels like my arms are getting a better workout than when I was doing them on a different day w/ more weight.
  12. Registered User
    Newtonselite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    477
    Answers
    0


    I do shoulder/biceps and keep back on its own day.
  13. Registered User
    RickRock13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    40
    Posts
    9,352
    Answers
    0


    I do Back/Bi's and have for some time now. hitting your Biceps after working out Back can certainly fatigue your Bi's quite a bit and take a little off of your lifts. To remedy this, I have a seperate day that I hit my arms on their own with legs. It translates out to a light day for arms (when I do Chest/Tri's & Back/Bi's) and a heavy day later in the week when they are rested and I can add a lot more weight. It has been pretty sucessful for me since I started that.
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"
  14. Banned
    gidemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    174
    Answers
    0


    i just started doing a push pull split again after doing a year of abreviated splits and have to say im really liking it again and making good progress im doing a mixture of dc and 5x5.now about back and bis on the same day...since my biceps are getting some good stimulation from the backs compound moves to me its only logical to do really good isolation moves for my biceps and im keeping it simple.... i do 2-3 sets of incline bench dumbell curls at a 45 degree angle and make a point to get a really good stretch,for me this movement really makes the biceps do most of the work raher then barbell or dumbell curls,after those i do 2-3 sets of dumbell hammer curls and thats it...i try to keep the weight mod..i think you can make gains doing biceps after back as long as you are smart about which movements you choose.after the incline dumbell curls and hammers i have an amazing pump and soreness for days ...ez
  15. Registered User
    Deeerdre's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,401
    Answers
    0


    I do bis and tris...I dunno it works for me. I have tried doing bis/back and my biceps never get sore. And when I hit bis/tris they do so dunno
  16. Registered User
    BaDgErFaN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    426
    Answers
    0


    I switched to training back and biceps together about a month ago. I had been really enjoying it and i was feeling like I was getting a better workout in my biceps. But,


    ...I measured my arms today and my arms have lost about 1/4 inch!! WTF is up with that?!?!?


    Thinking about going back to doing biceps on a different day.
  17. Registered User
    N.Woods Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    313
    Answers
    0


    Ive been doing bis after back for a while and really like it. Everyone is different though and you just gotta play around with your routine and figure out what works for you. It might be a good idea to mix it up though and do bis on a separate day for a while, then put them back w/ your back to keep your muscles guessing.
  18. Registered User
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    864
    Answers
    0


    Been trying this lately and loving it and it fits this thread perfectly, so...

    On my back/biceps day when I'm doing BB curls, once I can't do any more reps of regular curls, I'll lean over into a bent over row position (with the same underhand grip) and do a rowing type motion. The biceps can't do any more full ROM curls but when you go straight into an underhand rowing motion you can definitely tell the biceps are still working.

    If you're looking for a way to increase biceps intensity (as well as finding something that burns like hell) give this a try.

    After this, rotate your wirst back and forth a few times to get more blood into the muscle and then flex the **** out of your biceps! Good stuff!!!

    Cheers!
  19. Registered User
    CaponeCEO's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    694
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    Been trying this lately and loving it and it fits this thread perfectly, so...

    On my back/biceps day when I'm doing BB curls, once I can't do any more reps of regular curls, I'll lean over into a bent over row position (with the same underhand grip) and do a rowing type motion. The biceps can't do any more full ROM curls but when you go straight into an underhand rowing motion you can definitely tell the biceps are still working.

    If you're looking for a way to increase biceps intensity (as well as finding something that burns like hell) give this a try.

    After this, rotate your wirst back and forth a few times to get more blood into the muscle and then flex the **** out of your biceps! Good stuff!!!

    Cheers!
    Looks good from an intensity perspective. Muscle fatigue must set in pretty quick though. Personally back day is my day to kill it, so I spend the entire time on back. There are so many individual muscles to work out and without a strong back you will get no where.
  20. Registered User
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    864
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by CaponeCEO View Post
    Looks good from an intensity perspective. Muscle fatigue must set in pretty quick though. Personally back day is my day to kill it, so I spend the entire time on back. There are so many individual muscles to work out and without a strong back you will get no where.
    Yeah, back should be the priority, even if your intention is to blast the biceps. In my opinion.

    On average I do 2-3 sets of biceps AFTER I work back.

    Past few times I've been doing barbell curls as my first set, followed by the rowing motion thing, then maybe a set of preacher DB curls or incline DB curls or something. As far as muscle fatige though, I can blast my back with my hardest workout but can still lift about as much for biceps as I could fresh. Maybe it's because after the back workout my biceps are pumped up like crazy? I dunno, I don't try to fight it though
  21. Banned
    gidemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    174
    Answers
    0

    Talking


    Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    Been trying this lately and loving it and it fits this thread perfectly, so...

    On my back/biceps day when I'm doing BB curls, once I can't do any more reps of regular curls, I'll lean over into a bent over row position (with the same underhand grip) and do a rowing type motion. The biceps can't do any more full ROM curls but when you go straight into an underhand rowing motion you can definitely tell the biceps are still working.

    If you're looking for a way to increase biceps intensity (as well as finding something that burns like hell) give this a try.

    After this, rotate your wirst back and forth a few times to get more blood into the muscle and then flex the **** out of your biceps! Good stuff!!!

    Cheers!
    thats a pretty nifty idea man,im going to remember that one for shure
  22. Registered User
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,253
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    Yeah, back should be the priority, even if your intention is to blast the biceps. In my opinion.

    On average I do 2-3 sets of biceps AFTER I work back.

    Past few times I've been doing barbell curls as my first set, followed by the rowing motion thing, then maybe a set of preacher DB curls or incline DB curls or something. As far as muscle fatige though, I can blast my back with my hardest workout but can still lift about as much for biceps as I could fresh. Maybe it's because after the back workout my biceps are pumped up like crazy? I dunno, I don't try to fight it though
    Very similar here. After my back workouts, my biceps are torn up... Feels great.

    Tonight I hit deads and rows, i could barely curl anything lol... Still a major pump in my biceps.. They were swole up, wish they were that big all the time
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  23. Registered User
    JayDee6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    211
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by RJW719 View Post
    How many people here train back and biceps on the same day?

    I am interested in trying this, but am concerned that by the time i am done with my back work my bis will be shot and i wont be able to do much for the isolation work.

    Just wondering if those of you who train bis after back have experienced better gains in doing it that way instead of doing bis on a separate day.
    Your bis will NOT be shot. I train bis and back every week and get stronger with both muscles every time I train. Yes, your biceps are secondary muscles to most back exercises like rows, pull ups, etc, but that's just it: secondary muscles. You will be fine, just try it...
    Advanced Muscle Science/Forerunner Labs Sponsored Athlete
  24. Registered User
    JayDee6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    211
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    Yeah, back should be the priority, even if your intention is to blast the biceps. In my opinion.

    On average I do 2-3 sets of biceps AFTER I work back.

    Past few times I've been doing barbell curls as my first set, followed by the rowing motion thing, then maybe a set of preacher DB curls or incline DB curls or something. As far as muscle fatige though, I can blast my back with my hardest workout but can still lift about as much for biceps as I could fresh. Maybe it's because after the back workout my biceps are pumped up like crazy? I dunno, I don't try to fight it though
    ^^this.
    Advanced Muscle Science/Forerunner Labs Sponsored Athlete
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 5x5 for Biceps???
    By BaDgErFaN in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 09:49 PM
  2. Question on working Biceps back to back
    By kprimm in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
  3. Back double biceps challange
    By John Smeton in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 11:22 PM
  4. biceps
    By jkaz182003 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 08:58 PM
  5. What do you all do for biceps?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in