Bodyweight Exercise Routine

KBD

KBD

Awards
  • Established
So i have a different route i want to go. I have a pull up and dip station with push up bars.

I want to really lean up and just maintain the mass i already have. Does anyone know a good Bodyweight exercise routine for increasing strength and definition?

The Legs i will continue to do Squats Leg Presses for.

But my goals:

Get a few one armed pull ups (I can get 2 one armed chins)
Lean out and just look good
Maintain mass (Which i know can be done with BW exercises)
Increase total strength of BW exercises.

Going to take a break from the weights on the upper body and just hit the BW.

But one thing im confused on is how often i can do BW exercises and what exactly to do to get the best results.

Let me know guys

Im on Torem and the TRS+TCF-1 with SARMs S4 during PCT trying to lean up. Help me out guys!

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Don't know of a routine but I've used hand stand pushups and tiger bends in my routines. I actually use the tiger bends a fair amount. Even though your still going to do weights for you legs you should give the exercise a try where you lay flat on a bench and lock your feet or have someone hold your legs and you raise up from the knee. Ha I suck at explaining it and I'm not sure of the name but I'm sure someone else knows. Those are very difficult.. at least fo rme.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
On frequency I would try 3 times a week. Also google pave tsatsouline I think he has a hole book about bodyweight trianing. I had one of his other books awhile ago.

KBD

KBD

Awards
  • Established
So ur saying like Pullups Dips Pushups and Squats 3 days week?

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Look up rosstraining.com on google. Lots of great bodyweight routines/info. You tube also is a good source for bodyweight routines like boxing and MMA routines, ghetto workouts ect.

I went through all this bodyweight stuff ages ago for awhile.

Crossfit is another i guess you could take out the BW routines from some of there posted exercises on there site!

I personally enjoyed the change when i tried it.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Brother, the old school concept of certain weight ranges or rep ranges "toning" muscle is BS. The ONLY way to gain definition is to lose body fat, and this can only be achieved by either changing your diet or adding cardio.

Just stick to the normal weights routine, and add in some cardio and/or change your diet if you want to cut.

Now, that being said, gaining proficiency with bodyweight exercises is a good skill set to have. It will give you endurance, and lets face it, doing 30 pullups is damn cool. Just understand that doing it will not help you lose weight, unless you get a good cardio workout from doing it. To get to your multiple one arm pullups, I'd suggest training normal pullups with added weight. To help the effort along move your body to one side while performing the pullups. This will put more emphasis on the arm your body is closest to. In this way you can adjust the percentage of bodyweight on each arm.

Your second and third goals can be achieved through diet and/or added cardio.

Your fourth goal (if by "strength" you mean reps) can be achieved by just doing the bodyweight exercises each week, or even each day. In normal weightlifting we increase weight and reps each week to make progress. In bodyweight exercises your body weight is mostly fixed, so the only way to improve is in reps.

I did three weeks of P90x, and went from 32 to 47 total pullups in the chest/back day, and from 64 to 89 on back day. These are all spread out over about an hour, mind you, but still, that is good improvement. When I had a pullup bar in my old apartment, I would do a set to failure multiple times a day, and got to about 23 or so in short order. So I have reason to believe with body weight exercises, you can train a lot more, maybe even every day.

edit: you should try P90x. I did it for three weeks and it was a great break from weights. I did it on a calorie restricted diet, and when I went back to weights I did not lose any strength. Most of the fat loss effects will come from diet, though.

Dr.Lang

Dr.Lang

Banned
Awards
Brother, the old school concept of certain weight ranges or rep ranges "toning" muscle is BS. The ONLY way to gain definition is to lose body fat, and this can only be achieved by either changing your diet or adding cardio.

Just stick to the normal weights routine, and add in some cardio and/or change your diet if you want to cut.

Now, that being said, gaining proficiency with bodyweight exercises is a good skill set to have. It will give you endurance, and lets face it, doing 30 pullups is damn cool. Just understand that doing it will not help you lose weight, unless you get a good cardio workout from doing it. To get to your multiple one arm pullups, I'd suggest training normal pullups with added weight. To help the effort along move your body to one side while performing the pullups. This will put more emphasis on the arm your body is closest to. In this way you can adjust the percentage of bodyweight on each arm.

Your second and third goals can be achieved through diet and/or added cardio.

Your fourth goal (if by "strength" you mean reps) can be achieved by just doing the bodyweight exercises each week, or even each day. In normal weightlifting we increase weight and reps each week to make progress. In bodyweight exercises your body weight is mostly fixed, so the only way to improve is in reps.

I did three weeks of P90x, and went from 32 to 47 total pullups in the chest/back day, and from 64 to 89 on back day. These are all spread out over about an hour, mind you, but still, that is good improvement. When I had a pullup bar in my old apartment, I would do a set to failure multiple times a day, and got to about 23 or so in short order. So I have reason to believe with body weight exercises, you can train a lot more, maybe even every day.

edit: you should try P90x. I did it for three weeks and it was a great break from weights. I did it on a calorie restricted diet, and when I went back to weights I did not lose any strength. Most of the fat loss effects will come from diet, though.
I have to agree, I feel that diet is 75 percent of the battle.