How Many Sets To Not Overtrain ? Is this good ?

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Chest - 12

Triceps - 9

Biceps - 9

Back - 12

Shoulders - 9

Legs - 12

Off the juice sets of course ! around 3000 - 4000 calories a day

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
frankly no.if youre confusing sets for reps then the numbers arent too bad but for sets of one exercise its far too many.However if for example you are doing chest and you do 4 sets of bench 4 sets of flyes 4 sets of incline , then i think its ok.Providing the total no of sets is as a result of hitting the muscle from different angles then its not too bad.
i think tris and bi ceps you could cut down , with them being a small muscle and will come into play doing other upper body exercises.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are so many factors that play into this (rep range, genetics, sleep, stress, etc.) that it's impossible to give a finite answer.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
One miiillion!

Truthfully, just go by how you feel. If you get to the point where you're taking weight off the bar or lifting less than the set before, it's a good time to stop. I usually go fairly low rep for mid/high number of sets for the compound lifts and mid/high reps and just a couple sets for isolation stuff.

Turk1976

Awards
There are so many factors that play into this (rep range, genetics, sleep, stress, etc.) that it's impossible to give a finite answer.
this, need a lot more info if you want a better answer

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Those are all the sets I do for one muscle group... 12 for chest, for example 4 sets of dumbbell press, incline dummbell press, flys = 12

and Sleep, I sleep late but I always get my 7 8 hours.

SolidusSnake

SolidusSnake

Awards
  • Established
sometimes I like a good 12-15 sets on chest and leg and back day..

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This can't be answered, too many factors like was stated, it comes down to what works for you.

drvinnybombat

Awards
Don't create a routine. Not because you don't know how to work out or anything...just that there's no good reason to do so. There are proven routines that remove all of the places where you can go wrong. For instance, I get the impression that you focus too much on the smaller muscles of your arms and are neglecting the importance of squats and deads. Just find an existing routine that you like; any PROVEN routine is good, some are better, but they're all good. Switch around a bit, and you'll never be bored.

I like these (two totally different philosophies BTW)

http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geocities/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

http://crossfit.com/