Please critique my new MaxOT routine

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, it's been years since I've followed a strict workout protocol, and I think that's why results have been stalling. Usually I just go in the gym and do whatever I feel like. I remember when I was in high school, however (I am 25 now), I made great gains using MaxOT, so I want to give it another go.

Here is the split I was thinking of. Can you guys critique it for me? Am I missing anything major? BB stands for barbell, and DB stands for dumbbell.

Day 1: Chest/Triceps

Flat BB Bench x3
Incline DB Bench x3
Weighted Dips x3
Skullcrushers x3 (seated, behind the head DB arm extensions)

Day 2: Back/Biceps

BB Row x3
Weighted Pullups x3
DB Row x3
Straight bar preacher curl x3

Day 3: Delts/Traps

DB Presses x3
BB Upright Rows x3
BB Shoulder Press x2
BB Shrug x3

Day 4: Legs

Squat x3
Straight leg deads x3
DB Lunges x3
Calf Raises x4 (toes on a platform under a smith machine)

Too much? Not enough? The days are numbered instead of assigned to weekdays so that I can have a little freedom as to when I can take an off day or two.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
By the way, there is no deadlift in there because I think squats and deads in the same week would be too much. Am I wrong on that? I was going to exclude squats and include deads on the next 8 week cycle.

anoopbal

Awards
If that is what is MAX-Ot, what do you wanna change it?

Try it as it and then tweak it as you o.

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would add some flys for your chest ! and some more bi workouts

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's been a long time since I've read the huge PDF. I can't remember if more isolation exercises for the supporting muscle groups are supposed to be performed. I'll read it again, but can anyone refresh my memory in the meantime?

way8lifter

way8lifter

Awards
Hey guys, it's been years since I've followed a strict workout protocol, and I think that's why results have been stalling. Usually I just go in the gym and do whatever I feel like. I remember when I was in high school, however (I am 25 now), I made great gains using MaxOT, so I want to give it another go.

Here is the split I was thinking of. Can you guys critique it for me? Am I missing anything major? BB stands for barbell, and DB stands for dumbbell.

Day 1: Chest/Triceps

Flat BB Bench x3
Incline DB Bench x3
Weighted Dips x3
Skullcrushers x3 (seated, behind the head DB arm extensions)

Day 2: Back/Biceps

BB Row x3
Weighted Pullups x3
DB Row x3
Straight bar preacher curl x3

Day 3: Delts/Traps

DB Presses x3
BB Upright Rows x3
BB Shoulder Press x2
BB Shrug x3

Day 4: Legs

Squat x3
Straight leg deads x3
DB Lunges x3
Calf Raises x4 (toes on a platform under a smith machine)

Too much? Not enough? The days are numbered instead of assigned to weekdays so that I can have a little freedom as to when I can take an off day or two.
not sure what a max OT is ..bu the flaw in this routine is ..it should be a 3 day sptlit ..not a 4 /// just do shoulders with thighs ...take a day off and repeat ..

db rows and barbell rows ...kinda repeating yourself...

ditch the stiff leg deads ( most people do them soooo wrong) ..and replace it with hack or leg press ..and just plain ditch the lunges ...waste of time ..

carnivalhobo

Awards
ditch the stiff leg deads ( most people do them soooo wrong) ..and replace it with hack or leg press ..and just plain ditch the lunges ...waste of time ..
you took out the only direct ham work in favor of more quad work? Leg press with a high foot position will hit the hamstrings also, but not working both sides of the leg is only going to lead to injury.

The original Max-OT leg day is:

Squat 3x4-6
Leg Press 2x4-6
SLDL 2x6
Standing Calf 2x6-8
Leg Press Calf 2x6-8

I think I would start there and then make changes. I always thought Deads should make it into this program, either on leg or back day. The basic back routine is:

lat pull 3x 4-6
seated cable row 2x4-6
good mornings 2x4-6
hypers 2x4-6

To me, I think weighted hypers in this rep range and good mornings in that rep range are going to lead to more injuries than not and would seriously consider replacing those with deadlifts. Also the high intensity low rep scheme works well with deads.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, I've got it figured out now. I replaced the injury prone exercises like squats with the 8 rep range though, as I don't feel comfortable doing a 4-6 rep to failure heavy set on them.