Alternative to leg ext/curls?

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
I found out yesterday that the ONLY leg extension/curl machine in my antiquidated gym has broke. I doubt they will fix that machine in the near future. So now my question is... what options do I have for substituting the leg ext/curl superset segment in my routine? The only other leg machine is a seated leg press. I've got a power rack and barbells/dumbells of course.

Should I sub in a squat variation? Or perhaps lunges?

Turk1976

Awards
How about:
Squats/Front Squats
and
Stiff Leg Deadlifts

You can also move your foot position to the very top of the plate on the leg press to get more focus on the hamstrings.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I found out yesterday that the ONLY leg extension/curl machine in my antiquidated gym has broke. I doubt they will fix that machine in the near future. So now my question is... what options do I have for substituting the leg ext/curl superset segment in my routine? The only other leg machine is a seated leg press. I've got a power rack and barbells/dumbells of course.

Should I sub in a squat variation? Or perhaps lunges?
With out a doubt, straight leg dead lift.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I stopped doing extensions and curls ( The back of my left knee starts aching) and started doing lunges instead, with a 45 plate in each hand so far, and I've been feeling it all around.

So I would add this if you don't do them already, I spose.

But I'm going to get back to the curls when I can do them without aches.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
I like the targeting of the hams w/ a straight leg DL, but I'm afraid that my back won't be able to support the weight since I workout my back the day prior.

I start that day's routine w/ hack squats and seated calf super set. Next is leg ext/curl superset, which I need to replace... hmmmm... any other ideas?

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I would go with lunges and the aformentioned putting your feet high on the legpress to involve hams more!!! Worked well for me!

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I stopped doing extensions and curls ( The back of my left knee starts aching) and started doing lunges instead, with a 45 plate in each hand so far, and I've been feeling it all around.

So I would add this if you don't do them already, I spose.

But I'm going to get back to the curls when I can do them without aches.
Walking lunges with DBs are good in my book.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That machine breaking may be the best thing to happen to your leg development.

Look into rumanian deadlifts for the hams. Unike stiff leg, the back is straight and there is a slight bend at the knee.

You can do split squats for the glutes and quads and superset this with swiss ball leg curls.

Br

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
That machine breaking may be the best thing to happen to your leg development.

Look into rumanian deadlifts for the hams. Unike stiff leg, the back is straight and there is a slight bend at the knee.

You can do split squats for the glutes and quads and superset this with swiss ball leg curls.

Br
I started using the machine 2 weeks ago... used it twice. I just started the Layne Norton routine. Not that I really need more size in my legs though.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll go with the lunges and a high position on the seated press.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
How about:
Squats/Front Squats
and
Stiff Leg Deadlifts

You can also move your foot position to the very top of the plate on the leg press to get more focus on the hamstrings.
x2 in dc they call it a sumo press