Motivation! Gone!

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys. I've been an on and off lifter pretty much all my life. Sometimes on for longer that off and vice versa. Basically, I got out of the military about 18 months ago and it's been hard to keep motivated. My new job, I have hardly anything to do for the last two hours and I think that makes it difficut, combined with the fact that I have no one who is willing or able to be my training partner, as most of my friends don't work out. I was wondering...what keeps everyone else out there motivated? A large issue for me, too, is that I'm not on any type of pro-hormones or steroids or anything like that anymore. I wanna stay away from that stuff now, but it really kinda helped me want to stay on track before because when that was a part of my day all day, I could keep motivated. Now, as I said, I'm just sitting towards the end of my work day, I have no person that is willing to be a workout partner for me, and I'm not taking any supplements. We all know the best motivation of staying healthy and looking good, but I don't think that alone is good for the common man. What do you guys do? Even if it's a good pre-workout shake that I can take at work. That may do some good. I hope someone out there can help. I appreciate any replies. Please don't judge! Haha.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you tried setting specific goals for yourself for the next 3 months? 6 months?

I find that a lot of people that lack some motivation are lacking specific and attainable goals for a given time-frame. It's very easy to fall into a rut and feel like you're just treading water unless you have a specific task you're trying to complete.

drvinnybombat

Awards
First, try to get someone...anyone to workout with you; I'm in the same boat though, I workout alone. Also, setting arbitrary goals does help too. I like to do CrossFit workouts and improve time, or a power lifting routine and improve weight. Then there's getting jacked up on caffeine and stimulants. If you started taking Jack3d before workouts, it will get you going guaranteed.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
I feel kind of stupid having not thought of setting goals. That was always a big help for me. I'll have to try and reincorporate that into my training plan. I don't know what has made it so difficult for me during the last while. I've been depressed lately as well. We don't need to get into that. Nothing I can't handle. Just woman issues. Plus now it's dark when I get off of work. It's just a bunch of stupid excuses that keep me from going. I haven't been active on AM since the old format either. Hopefully if I can get back into the forum that will help too. Thanks guys! I'll look into that supplement too!

Turk1976

Awards
Have you tried setting specific goals for yourself for the next 3 months? 6 months?

I find that a lot of people that lack some motivation are lacking specific and attainable goals for a given time-frame. It's very easy to fall into a rut and feel like you're just treading water unless you have a specific task you're trying to complete.
good advice, can you have a race to a specific weight in a lift(s)? Competition is always good, even if it's over internet. I've been doing a race to 1,000lb for a powerlifting total and its been a huge motivator and kept me from missing any sessions.

good luck,

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I've been depressed lately as well. We don't need to get into that. Nothing I can't handle. Just woman issues. Plus now it's dark when I get off of work.
That's probably what it is bro, When your feeling blue you have no motivation. Keep your goals and routine very simple for now. If all you can do is pushups and pullups do that. Baby steps, don't overwhelm yourself with this huge routine. Most guys is the gym do too many exercises. The darkness sucks because your body starts releasing melatonin and you get tired and don't feel like working out. Add some vitamin d to your diet. What keeps me motivated? Well I'm a machine, I just do it no matter the cost or how my head feels. Even through severe depression I managed to get to the gym even if all I could do was pick up a few weights.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
As far as structure download the Advanced 5x5 spread**** and have at it!!

But after a cycle I lose A LOT of motivation, which is the worst time, too, usually after PCT. But after a good rest, some tired of looking/feeling "blah", I get back at it harder than before.

You prolly just need to change a few things to keep your interest.