My Bench Max Came to a Pause...Help!

1. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.69%

My Bench Max Came to a Pause...Help!

Okay, so i've been benching for 8 months now....the numbers where going thru the roof....but now i hit 210, and it stopped! On good days, i can bench 210 6 times...but other days, i struggle to hit 4, even 2 reps. Im 200lbs...and im a pretty solid guy. I tried taking off a week or 2, but it didnt help. I can bench 190, 10 times, but for some reason, that 210 gives me trouble. What can I do to break the 210 barrier and keeop moving up?

2. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.69%

10 days ago, i benched 200, 8 times, and today, i couldnt do 3 reps of 210.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.14%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

That happens to me alot, too, but I just try to eat and rest a bit more, change up the routine a bit, then try again.

Like now I do a push/pull/legs, and do bench after military press. Whichever one I wanna improve on more I do first, so right now my bench is down, since I wanna gain more shoulder mass.

So I'll do some declines for a month or so, then my flat will end up even lower, but once I do it a few times I'll be up 5-10 pounds and more reps than I was say a month and a half ago, before I stalled out.

Another thing I noticed, is say I'm stuck on bench, but the smaller lifts (flyes, dips, tri ext.) go up, soon enough the bench will follow. As long as something increases each workout, I'm a happy camper.

Second thought:

Since you say 8 months, have you been doing the same routine for the 8 mos? Changing that will probably be your answer.
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.93%

Perfect your form, Improve triceps strength, improve upper back strength

rest, eat.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

How much can you do on Bent Over Rows?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.76%

Sounds like you need a decent progression scheme. Simply going in and trying to do max reps with a similar weight (200-210 lbs.) every time will only get you so far. One simple way to do things is to pick a rep target and drop your weight for that rep target 15-20%. Then start working up to a set or two of the target reps and add 5 lbs. a week to that top weight. For example, if you can do 190x10, drop your weight to 150-160 lbs. and do 2 sets of 10 with that weight. Next week add 5 lbs. to that weight and do 2 sets of 10 and then keep adding 5 lbs. a week until you can't complete 2 sets of 10.
    Another option is to simply do a program like 5/3/1 that has all your weights and progressions planned out for you. Remember that you don't have to operate at your max capabilities every single workout to make progress. Sometimes taking a step back and ramping back up over a period of time with help you break through that barrier.
  8. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.69%

Yea, i've just been stuck on 210 for 3 months now. Plus, my friend only weighs 180lbs, and he's benching 400lbs, 5 times. He makes me look sooo pathetic at da gym, and it pi$$es me off lol. He's on juice tho.
  9. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.69%

I mainly did flat bench, but now im doin alot of incline benching and dumbells as well. My tricep pull downs increased. Went from 130 and now im pulling down 180 8 times. If i cant pass 210 in another month, ima just start juicing...lol JK
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.93%

Dips, skullcrushers, close grip bench, JM presses are all way more important than cable work
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.96%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

FORM FORM FORM... Numbers go up when you learn to bench right.
    ACSM-CPT
  12. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.69%

I used to grip the bar with a full hand, but now i dont wrap my thumbs around the bar. Are u supposed to let the bar touch your chest? If so, then ima have to go back to 190 again. I cant bring 210 all the way down...but i get it pretty close. My friend is a douchebag...everytime i ask him for advice, he says..."Just do it"
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.35%

I can't post link but google "Dave Tate's 6 week bench press cure" and yes it should touch your chest
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    FORM FORM FORM... Numbers go up when you learn to bench right.
    not really, ive lost about 20lbs on my bench since ive learned to have a better form suited to my arm length and upper build, I used to bench a close grip, maybe a half inch away from a close grip tricep press it wasnt brutal but it wasnt building the outside of my chest either, just the inside. I started with 200 and would press it 5 times with a wide more accepted grip and when I tried to bench 260, I barely got it 3 times, my max before that was 285. Im not saying you should stick to a bad benching habit because you are stronger in that suit, but learning good form will not make your bench stronger immediately, wich is what I kinda get the feeling some of yall are making him think, unintentionaly most likely.
    if your stuck at a lighter weight like 210 then chances are your not ripped if your a 200lb guy, I benched 285 for 2 solid reps when I weighed 178 - 180 and I was a little chubby from bulking, what im getting at... Is first make sure you have good spotter, someone that will make you press your fails
    then if you have a bench at home?
    put about 190 on it and after a big meal instead of resting a minute, go to your bench and hit 190 as many reps as you can in one set, put 200 on it hit it as many times but dont do 210
    ( do this on days even when you work out because this low volume should not be considered a work out by anyone, IMO if you do consider it one then you are lazy )
    stay away from your max but kind of float right beneath it, in the not dangerous but I feel beastly area. and after a week of extra benching in the evenings everyday after working out, EATING & RESTING
    attempt your max or 210 with a spotter
    see how many times you can hit it safely and fully
    repeat and tweek
    repeat and tweek
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%

Quote Originally Posted by 10bathroomsO View Post
    not really, ive lost about 20lbs on my bench since ive learned to have a better form suited to my arm length and upper build, I used to bench a close grip, maybe a half inch away from a close grip tricep press it wasnt brutal but it wasnt building the outside of my chest either, just the inside. I started with 200 and would press it 5 times with a wide more accepted grip and when I tried to bench 260, I barely got it 3 times, my max before that was 285. Im not saying you should stick to a bad benching habit because you are stronger in that suit, but learning good form will not make your bench stronger immediately, wich is what I kinda get the feeling some of yall are making him think, unintentionaly most likely.
    if your stuck at a lighter weight like 210 then chances are your not ripped if your a 200lb guy, I benched 285 for 2 solid reps when I weighed 178 - 180 and I was a little chubby from bulking, what im getting at... Is first make sure you have good spotter, someone that will make you press your fails
    then if you have a bench at home?
    put about 190 on it and after a big meal instead of resting a minute, go to your bench and hit 190 as many reps as you can in one set, put 200 on it hit it as many times but dont do 210
    ( do this on days even when you work out because this low volume should not be considered a work out by anyone, IMO if you do consider it one then you are lazy )
    stay away from your max but kind of float right beneath it, in the not dangerous but I feel beastly area. and after a week of extra benching in the evenings everyday after working out, EATING & RESTING
    attempt your max or 210 with a spotter
    see how many times you can hit it safely and fully
    repeat and tweek
    repeat and tweek
    You're also assuming that your correct form is biomechanically correct (e.g. driving through the glutes/hams, scapula adducted, etc.).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I am in process of getting a med degree
    and you have to know every single muscle and good form and function for them and every bone in the human body in the earliest classes ive seen. So im not just throwing hogwash and bull**** out there for him to read, if you dont believe that my theory is correct then try it, if you fail then somethings wrong, but Im pretty sure it will help with any weight below the 400 range
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

and let me add, im not telling him to not use good form, he should fix his form if anything before attempting any max in high volume, but fixing his form will not help him get stronger instantly, maybe he already has good form, I just gaving him a platue busting technique that works REALLY well for me
  18. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.25%

Quote Originally Posted by carnivalhobo View Post
    Dips, skullcrushers, close grip bench, JM presses are all way more important than cable work
    These....as heavy as you can go for 6-8 reps, 5-6 sets.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  19. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.69%

Well, im almost 200lbs...im 193...but i can bench 210 6 times on good days...and 250 once...but only when im really pumped. I wouldnt say im shredded, but people can look at me and know that i lift weights.
  20. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.69%

Also, i never cut down...i mainly eat all that i can, work my @ss off at the gym, and the food seems to go to the right places. Last time i tried cutting, my strength went down the drain!
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

the winter time is perfect for bulking up and setting new pr's brah if you hit 250 before get on that and try to pass it
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.44%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

dang he always has to be medically correct and crap. so stupid. anyways, if u wanna increase ur bench 1.) focus on form 2.) eat more than ever 3.) change reps for a few weeks 4.) do heavy squats and deads as well.
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.5%

I have the same issue as you, some days I can push harder than before.. try keeping yourself pumped (blood going) with power cleans or push ups. When your muscles are cold its hard to get to your max rep.

Similar Forum Threads

1. REP-PAUSE TRAINING
    By Pinky355 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 09:48 AM
  2. what exactly is rest pause?
    By 1517 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 05:48 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 12:44 AM
  4. Rest-Pause for close grip bench