My Bench Max Came to a Pause...Help!

2 Real

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Okay, so i've been benching for 8 months now....the numbers where going thru the roof....but now i hit 210, and it stopped! On good days, i can bench 210 6 times...but other days, i struggle to hit 4, even 2 reps. Im 200lbs...and im a pretty solid guy. I tried taking off a week or 2, but it didnt help. I can bench 190, 10 times, but for some reason, that 210 gives me trouble. What can I do to break the 210 barrier and keeop moving up?

2 Real

Banned
Awards
  • Established
10 days ago, i benched 200, 8 times, and today, i couldnt do 3 reps of 210.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
That happens to me alot, too, but I just try to eat and rest a bit more, change up the routine a bit, then try again.

Like now I do a push/pull/legs, and do bench after military press. Whichever one I wanna improve on more I do first, so right now my bench is down, since I wanna gain more shoulder mass.

So I'll do some declines for a month or so, then my flat will end up even lower, but once I do it a few times I'll be up 5-10 pounds and more reps than I was say a month and a half ago, before I stalled out.

Another thing I noticed, is say I'm stuck on bench, but the smaller lifts (flyes, dips, tri ext.) go up, soon enough the bench will follow. As long as something increases each workout, I'm a happy camper.

Second thought:

Since you say 8 months, have you been doing the same routine for the 8 mos? Changing that will probably be your answer.

carnivalhobo

Awards
Perfect your form, Improve triceps strength, improve upper back strength

rest, eat.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you need a decent progression scheme. Simply going in and trying to do max reps with a similar weight (200-210 lbs.) every time will only get you so far. One simple way to do things is to pick a rep target and drop your weight for that rep target 15-20%. Then start working up to a set or two of the target reps and add 5 lbs. a week to that top weight. For example, if you can do 190x10, drop your weight to 150-160 lbs. and do 2 sets of 10 with that weight. Next week add 5 lbs. to that weight and do 2 sets of 10 and then keep adding 5 lbs. a week until you can't complete 2 sets of 10.
Another option is to simply do a program like 5/3/1 that has all your weights and progressions planned out for you. Remember that you don't have to operate at your max capabilities every single workout to make progress. Sometimes taking a step back and ramping back up over a period of time with help you break through that barrier.

2 Real

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yea, i've just been stuck on 210 for 3 months now. Plus, my friend only weighs 180lbs, and he's benching 400lbs, 5 times. He makes me look sooo pathetic at da gym, and it pi$$es me off lol. He's on juice tho.

2 Real

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I mainly did flat bench, but now im doin alot of incline benching and dumbells as well. My tricep pull downs increased. Went from 130 and now im pulling down 180 8 times. If i cant pass 210 in another month, ima just start juicing...lol JK

carnivalhobo

Awards
Dips, skullcrushers, close grip bench, JM presses are all way more important than cable work

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
FORM FORM FORM... Numbers go up when you learn to bench right.

2 Real

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used to grip the bar with a full hand, but now i dont wrap my thumbs around the bar. Are u supposed to let the bar touch your chest? If so, then ima have to go back to 190 again. I cant bring 210 all the way down...but i get it pretty close. My friend is a douchebag...everytime i ask him for advice, he says..."Just do it"

Turk1976

Awards
I can't post link but google "Dave Tate's 6 week bench press cure" and yes it should touch your chest

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
FORM FORM FORM... Numbers go up when you learn to bench right.
not really, ive lost about 20lbs on my bench since ive learned to have a better form suited to my arm length and upper build, I used to bench a close grip, maybe a half inch away from a close grip tricep press it wasnt brutal but it wasnt building the outside of my chest either, just the inside. I started with 200 and would press it 5 times with a wide more accepted grip and when I tried to bench 260, I barely got it 3 times, my max before that was 285. Im not saying you should stick to a bad benching habit because you are stronger in that suit, but learning good form will not make your bench stronger immediately, wich is what I kinda get the feeling some of yall are making him think, unintentionaly most likely.
if your stuck at a lighter weight like 210 then chances are your not ripped if your a 200lb guy, I benched 285 for 2 solid reps when I weighed 178 - 180 and I was a little chubby from bulking, what im getting at... Is first make sure you have good spotter, someone that will make you press your fails
then if you have a bench at home?
put about 190 on it and after a big meal instead of resting a minute, go to your bench and hit 190 as many reps as you can in one set, put 200 on it hit it as many times but dont do 210
( do this on days even when you work out because this low volume should not be considered a work out by anyone, IMO if you do consider it one then you are lazy )
stay away from your max but kind of float right beneath it, in the not dangerous but I feel beastly area. and after a week of extra benching in the evenings everyday after working out, EATING & RESTING
attempt your max or 210 with a spotter
see how many times you can hit it safely and fully
repeat and tweek
repeat and tweek

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not really, ive lost about 20lbs on my bench since ive learned to have a better form suited to my arm length and upper build, I used to bench a close grip, maybe a half inch away from a close grip tricep press it wasnt brutal but it wasnt building the outside of my chest either, just the inside. I started with 200 and would press it 5 times with a wide more accepted grip and when I tried to bench 260, I barely got it 3 times, my max before that was 285. Im not saying you should stick to a bad benching habit because you are stronger in that suit, but learning good form will not make your bench stronger immediately, wich is what I kinda get the feeling some of yall are making him think, unintentionaly most likely.
if your stuck at a lighter weight like 210 then chances are your not ripped if your a 200lb guy, I benched 285 for 2 solid reps when I weighed 178 - 180 and I was a little chubby from bulking, what im getting at... Is first make sure you have good spotter, someone that will make you press your fails
then if you have a bench at home?
put about 190 on it and after a big meal instead of resting a minute, go to your bench and hit 190 as many reps as you can in one set, put 200 on it hit it as many times but dont do 210
( do this on days even when you work out because this low volume should not be considered a work out by anyone, IMO if you do consider it one then you are lazy )
stay away from your max but kind of float right beneath it, in the not dangerous but I feel beastly area. and after a week of extra benching in the evenings everyday after working out, EATING & RESTING
attempt your max or 210 with a spotter
see how many times you can hit it safely and fully
repeat and tweek
repeat and tweek
You're also assuming that your correct form is biomechanically correct (e.g. driving through the glutes/hams, scapula adducted, etc.).

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
I am in process of getting a med degree
and you have to know every single muscle and good form and function for them and every bone in the human body in the earliest classes ive seen. So im not just throwing hogwash and bull**** out there for him to read, if you dont believe that my theory is correct then try it, if you fail then somethings wrong, but Im pretty sure it will help with any weight below the 400 range

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
and let me add, im not telling him to not use good form, he should fix his form if anything before attempting any max in high volume, but fixing his form will not help him get stronger instantly, maybe he already has good form, I just gaving him a platue busting technique that works REALLY well for me

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dips, skullcrushers, close grip bench, JM presses are all way more important than cable work
These....as heavy as you can go for 6-8 reps, 5-6 sets.

2 Real

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, im almost 200lbs...im 193...but i can bench 210 6 times on good days...and 250 once...but only when im really pumped. I wouldnt say im shredded, but people can look at me and know that i lift weights.

2 Real

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Also, i never cut down...i mainly eat all that i can, work my @ss off at the gym, and the food seems to go to the right places. Last time i tried cutting, my strength went down the drain!

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
the winter time is perfect for bulking up and setting new pr's brah if you hit 250 before get on that and try to pass it

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dang he always has to be medically correct and crap. so stupid. anyways, if u wanna increase ur bench 1.) focus on form 2.) eat more than ever 3.) change reps for a few weeks 4.) do heavy squats and deads as well.

trickyazn

Awards
I have the same issue as you, some days I can push harder than before.. try keeping yourself pumped (blood going) with power cleans or push ups. When your muscles are cold its hard to get to your max rep.