Drop sets

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Whats your take on drops sets? Are they worth it? Good for strength or size or both?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whats your take on drops sets? Are they worth it? Good for strength or size or both?
Drop-sets are great to add to your training programme. You can use them to help achieve ANY body goal.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
Drop sets are my fav....
my Bi drop set
Seated preacher with an ez bar wide grip
5,10,5,10,5= 35 on each side..
Slow movement. 4sets.. arms will be hurting

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I reserve my drop sets for either the dumbbell rack (make sure NOBODY is going to get in your way, or you in anyone else's way) or an easy to adjust machine.

A true drop for me takes me down to zero weight and single digit reps...and hurts like nothing else. GREAT every once in a while.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I don't think drop sets are optimal for building strength, but can be good for hypertrophy. I think it can be a tool in your arsenal, but I wouldn't use it exclusively. If you really want a combination of size and strength I would recommend using big compound movements (BP, SQ, DL, military press, etc...) for heavy sets of 3-5 reps and then do some assistance work that could include drop sets. For instance, work up to a couple heavy sets of 5 on the the bench press. After that you could do dumbell BP drops sets and maybe drop sets of a tricep exercise. I just wouldn't go crazy with the drop sets and only use them for select exercises.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is how i incorporate drop sets:
Example: Chest day

Barbell Bench - 4 sets 10,8,6,4
DB Incline - 3 sets 12,10,8
Incline DB Fly 3 sets 15 reps followed by a drop of DB Flat flys

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
this is how i incorporate drop sets:
Example: Chest day

Barbell Bench - 4 sets 10,8,6,4
DB Incline - 3 sets 12,10,8
Incline DB Fly 3 sets 15 reps followed by a drop of DB Flat flys
I would call those "rest-pause" sets, not drop sets. I've always thought of drop sets as doing a set, reducing the weight, and immediately doing another set, stripping the weight again, doing another set, etc...
While rest-pause can be used for certain purposes, they are different than drop sets. I guess we should clarify what the OP meant by "drop sets" so everyone is on the same page.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
call it what u want. i never do what ur doing. for me, its always best to do it with a different exercise so it hits the muscle at a different angle