Question on Chest

tgw85

Awards
I've seen some pics of Arnold when he was really young (age:20), and in some of the pics/vids of him (age 20) the very bottom of his chest looks slightly thicker then compared to some pics/vids of him in his prime (age:27/28). Almost as if while his whole chest was growing, the very bottom grew as well but got thinner?

My question is, AS YOUR VERY LOWER CHEST GROWS would it EVER start to physically get thinner? I don't mean atrophy, or "grow thinner". I mean as the muscle grows so big it droops slightly b/c of gravity. Well as it grows, it slides down slightly, again b/c gravity, and basically it looks like the chest gets longer, as overall it gets bigger. As it starts to droop more, would the bottom start to get thinner, even though the fibers still grew bigger?...For example, Ronnie Coleman (back in his prime)... if his chest were to keep growing... as it drooped down more, grant it slightly, would the bottom get thinner? OR would the bottom continue to get thicker and look like it gets thicker?

Attachments

SamuraiSid

Awards
If Im correct, you are refering to Arnold while doing a front lat spread? Although Arnold has a thick lower chest, while performing this pose the lower portion of the pecs seems to get "thinner" and striated.

As the pectoral majorialis (I know thats not what its really called) grows, it does tend to sag ever so slightly... or I suppose a lot depending on your genetics. And that would be represented by the guy on the left in your picture. But doing a hands over head type pose will firm the muscle, and give it that thinner appearance...

I hope I answered your question... Im so confused!

tgw85

Awards
If Im correct, you are refering to Arnold while doing a front lat spread? Although Arnold has a thick lower chest, while performing this pose the lower portion of the pecs seems to get "thinner" and striated.

As the pectoral majorialis (I know thats not what its really called) grows, it does tend to sag ever so slightly... or I suppose a lot depending on your genetics. And that would be represented by the guy on the left in your picture. But doing a hands over head type pose will firm the muscle, and give it that thinner appearance...

I hope I answered your question... Im so confused!
Uhh, no, thanks for trying haha, I'm sorry.
I mean just standing, completely relaxed....I know they don't "grow thinner", or atrophy, just as far as physicall appearances goes. As it's growing, is any point where it would stop getting thicker but instead start getting thinner, like droop down a lot b/c of gravity and go down to being paper thin, like in the pic?

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
awesome pic. haha. take your first pic and move the upper curve to give it more upper chest.. it already will look much more like what you are trying to achieve.

you need to get more upper chest. most people with a good upperchest look like your second picture.

if you are overweight then around the nipple and bottom chest is where fat deposits giving it that look. If you are not at 8% or below then it is a good possibility you have a nice fat layer there.

if you stand sideways and flew your chest, if that part come up looking more like your second pic, then i suggest you hit he upper pecs more. As the chest grows, like all muscles we see different "bellies" haha fill up with time. Some people might first grow bottom chest, then fill in the middle, then outside, then inside, then upper clavicular region for example.

I know you dont want the "teets" look. but if you are lean then adding upper chest and growing the overall size of your chest should fix it

tgw85

Awards
Thanks for the replies, but my question's hasn't been answered yet.
What I mean is AS YOUR LOWER CHEST GROWS would it EVER start to physically get thinner? Go from first man in pic.... to second man... I don't mean atrophy, or grow thnner, I mean as the muscle grows, it slides down slightly b/c of gravity, and basically looks like the chest got longer. As it starts to droop more, would the bottom start to get thinner?... Like i said even though the fibers are still technically growing.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Genetics.

tgw85

Awards
Genetics.
No it's not... it how gravity affects the appearance of the muscle. Muscle is muscle, it grows bigger or atrophies, no matter what genes... I'm asking: once it grows so big it starts to hang slightly, like Ronnie Coleman in his prime, and as the bottom and chest in general continue to grow, it starts to droop down more, grant it slightly, b/c of gravity. As it's doing this would the bottom get thinner, even tho the fibers still technically grew? Or will it continue to look like it's getting thicker as it's actually growing? That's what i mean in the pic i made.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gravity effects the boobs of women. Gravity does not effect muscle. Wouldn't your biceps and deltoids start to sag as well? ****, in that case, my glutes should be down around me knees, and my calves at my ankles.

It has to do with development and genetics. What you are seeing is a greater development of the upper fibers of sternal head and the clavicular head of the pecs. This is giving the impression, or illusion, that the lower are dropping and getting thinner.

Br

tgw85

Awards
Gravity effects the boobs of women. Gravity does not effect muscle. Wouldn't your biceps and deltoids start to sag as well? ****, in that case, my glutes should be down around me knees, and my calves at my ankles.

It has to do with development and genetics. What you are seeing is a greater development of the upper fibers of sternal head and the clavicular head of the pecs. This is giving the impression, or illusion, that the lower are dropping and getting thinner.

Br
Well it does affect it but not as much. If you look at Ronnie in his prime, his chest sags, grant it slightly... his lats do too...it's just b/c the muscle has grown soo much it has overstepped it's natural boundary and started to succumb to gravity, again although slightly. But thank you for your answer.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
maybe extra tension from more upper pec size will pull your lower chest up and make it flatter. or get a BRO. it is a bra for men

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Well it does affect it but not as much. If you look at Ronnie in his prime, his chest sags, grant it slightly... his lats do too...it's just b/c the muscle has grown soo much it has overstepped it's natural boundary and started to succumb to gravity, again although slightly. But thank you for your answer.
What's your source for your conclusion that gravity plays a role in muscular development? Do you have any idea how stretched your muscle fibers actually are at rest/unstressed/not contracted? Thus, the force requirement to deviate a muscle fiber from its origin and insertion. Gravitational force would not be sufficient enough to cause sagging.

tgw85

Awards
What's your source for your conclusion that gravity plays a role in muscular development? Do you have any idea how stretched your muscle fibers actually are at rest/unstressed/not contracted? Thus, the force requirement to deviate a muscle fiber from its origin and insertion. Gravitational force would not be sufficient enough to cause sagging.
All I'm asking is... would the force of gravity eventually affect either: 1) the way the muscle grows by causing the fibers to eventually start actually "grow thinner", or 2) if the fibers never "grow thinner" but continue to grow bigger, would gravity ever pull down on the very bottom of the chest in such a way making the bottom get thinner, even though the fibers were still growing? I understand my question is in the realm of astronomical, but I just wanna know.
And this:
Obviously, the inferior origin of the pec is not on top of the abdominal...
Same with the lats, in his case it is even if he's relaxed.
The only thing I have concluded is that gravity can affect the appearance of a muscle, grant it slightly, and while uncontracted. I don't know about the whole thinning part. That is why I am asking and hoping someone cares enough to explain things to me.

Attachments

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
gravity affects depending on how you are positioned. if a woman lies down her breasts no longer go toward the floor. Any fat/muscle etc that gets so big that the tension from the tendon at rest doesn't hold it up will succumb to gravity and droop down. If you had a fatty cyst on your leg, when it is small it will be pearky and round and as it grows will droop down toward the ground when standing. If ronnie layed down his chest would look more evenly distributed, if he flexes tension on the tendon pulls up that lower part toward the tendinous insertions, so up and towards the clavicle/shoulder/tricep region.

so i would say muscle getting too big and tension on the tendon not being able to hold it perky any longer. fact of life...

Also could just be ronnies bottom chest grew way faster/bigger than the upper and droops down like a breast would because there is so much of it.

Other than that i don't know what you want from us... WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US?!?! hahaha :)

tgw85

Awards
gravity affects depending on how you are positioned. if a woman lies down her breasts no longer go toward the floor. Any fat/muscle etc that gets so big that the tension from the tendon at rest doesn't hold it up will succumb to gravity and droop down. If you had a fatty cyst on your leg, when it is small it will be pearky and round and as it grows will droop down toward the ground when standing. If ronnie layed down his chest would look more evenly distributed, if he flexes tension on the tendon pulls up that lower part toward the tendinous insertions, so up and towards the clavicle/shoulder/tricep region.

so i would say muscle getting too big and tension on the tendon not being able to hold it perky any longer. fact of life...

Also could just be ronnies bottom chest grew way faster/bigger than the upper and droops down like a breast would because there is so much of it.
Other than that i don't know what you want from us... WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US?!?! hahaha :)

Okay you said it better lol, but that's what I meant by "droop".
What I want to know, and I know this will sound stupid, but this is virtually what I'm asking: For example, Ronnie, in this pic...... if his "lower chest" (nipple area-down)/very bottom, u get the idea.... if this area, were to grow/hypertrophy..... would "this area/very bottom" get thicker and appear thicker than what it is now?... and him being in the exact same position he is now and looking at the same angle it is now, would it get thicker and look thicker?

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
yah and it would droop even more!

if you drew a circle around the thick lower part of ronnies chest. kind of like from the armpit accross and down. this is the thick part. if he flexes hard this thick part gets pulled by the tendon and moves up. but when not flexing his muscles are so damn big he basically has muscle boobs and the entire heavy part of the muscle belly hangs down due to whichever way gravity is pulling.

so really if any part below that armpit line got any bigger/more mass it would cause that bottom to be wider and droop more.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Jesus christ. No.

KashMoni

KashMoni

Awards
If that was the case then our meats would be touching the ground when we got older....and you could call it ground beef...

Umm to answer your question, I will say no. It has to do with fat and age, look at womens boobs for example. When a girl is young her boobs are firm and stay up well...despite the majority of the breast being fat. But as they age, it just sags so much that you could be eating something and nibbling on another at the same time...

Ps nice pics

tgw85

Awards
If that was the case then our meats would be touching the ground when we got older....and you could call it ground beef...

Umm to answer your question, I will say no. It has to do with fat and age, look at womens boobs for example. When a girl is young her boobs are firm and stay up well...despite the majority of the breast being fat. But as they age, it just sags so much that you could be eating something and nibbling on another at the same time...

Ps nice pics
Sorry can you be more specific, what are you saying no to? 'Cause I've phrased my question different ways so I don't know which question you're saying no to.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All I'm asking is... would the force of gravity eventually affect either: 1) the way the muscle grows by causing the fibers to eventually start actually "grow thinner", or 2) if the fibers never "grow thinner" but continue to grow bigger, would gravity ever pull down on the very bottom of the chest in such a way making the bottom get thinner, even though the fibers were still growing? I understand my question is in the realm of astronomical, but I just wanna know.
And this:
Obviously, the inferior origin of the pec is not on top of the abdominal...Same with the lats, in his case it is even if he's relaxed.
The only thing I have concluded is that gravity can affect the appearance of a muscle, grant it slightly, and while uncontracted. I don't know about the whole thinning part. That is why I am asking and hoping someone cares enough to explain things to me.
Actually, it is. The inferior portion of the sternal fibers of the pec major attach to the apneurosis of the external oblique.

Br

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Plus, you forget the force of gravity has little to do with mass! This is simple physics. Any object will fall at 9.62 m/s^2 (if i remember correctly). Thus, 100lbs and 10lbs are under being pulled via the same force. Assuming each fiber is equal in strength, then mass has nothing to do with it.

Finally, you also forget that each muscle fiber, bundle of fibers, and muscle belly is held in place by muscle fascia. This fascia is very strong, strand for strand stronger than steel.

I think you need to re-evaluate and formulate a new hypothesis.

Br

KashMoni

KashMoni

Awards
Sorry can you be more specific, what are you saying no to? 'Cause I've phrased my question different ways so I don't know which question you're saying no to.
I'm saying no to it Looking thinner/longer and getting droopy.

And zirreed is right on with gravity.

tgw85

Awards
Thank you everyone for your answers, appreciate it.
Oh, and the force is 9.82, just fyi, hehe ;)