PHA periphreral heart action: any success with this? - AnabolicMinds.com

Poll: PHA training review

PHA periphreral heart action: any success with this?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.

PHA periphreral heart action: any success with this?

I have been reading around on PHA training to maintain and build muscle while also being a cardiovascular endeavor. This somewhat appeals to me as I like to lift and hate normal cardio, but I really need to loose some fat%% and have been having knee issues, so running is out.
    Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has tried a PHA style program with any success? What ACTUAL pos/neg results did you see? I have done my research on the program in general, but I am skeptical about the benefits as mixing cardio and weights seems to be counter-intuitive.

I appreciate the feedback.

2. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I am a huge fan of PHA training and use it almost exclusively for clients who want to lose fat (rather than incorporating cardio). You can build muscle and burn fat simultaneously with this type of training or spend time doing cardio where any lean mass gained tends to be minimal.

Personally I have found male clients to be able to hold weight while losing fat while women are more likely to lose weight as well.

Pointing out the obvious it is extremely difficult if done properly. Going for fat loss you should feel nauseous for lactate and subsequent GH release. Take it into account with your programming because what you think you can do and what you can do may vary dramatically!

As a parameter I prefer to overload using rest periods rather than weight/rep increases to start with to increase work capacity. If you go in with all exercises being 10 seconds rest you are likely to throw up way before you finish the programme (again, if done properly).

If you work out in a commercial gym it makes sense to pair exercises that use the same equipment. Going from a Back Squat to a Barbell Bench Press to a Pull Up leaves a lot of room for someone to jump on the equipment and negate your training effect. Going from Dips to Pull Ups on the same piece of equipment paired with Dumbbell Split Squats means you only have one pair of Dumbbells and one other piece of equipment.

Ideally you monitor fat percentage while doing this because so many people rely on the scales to judge the success, in which case they will often be bitterly disappointed.

I hope this helps.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.

There is a lack of info on AM for PHA training. As such, do you have a preferred resource for "canned" programs (to get started with)

Reps for excellent answer.
    •   

4. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thank you.

I enjoyed variations of Charles Poliquin's German Body Composition programmes which are in his book. Alternatively another fat loss, work capacity style programme goes under the article title "Lactic Acid Training for Fat Loss" on TNation. It is the 6-12-25 programme, which although doesn't use PHA tactics is aiming to stimulate the same physiological effects.

Some clients did better on PHA, some did better on 6-12-25.

Realistically you can transform most programmes into something that burns fat and creates EPOC solely through rest interval shortening. Even 5 x 5 programmes would do this if you used a superset and only 30 seconds rest.

Another point is to make sure you use a spotter and/or equipment which you can drop freely as it can be very hard to judge the critical drop off point on subsequent sets.

My honest belief to the reason you don't read/see more about this style of programme is
    1) it is bloody hard
    2) it requires an extra level of effort and programming to time your rest intervals, a loading parameter which some programmes don't even touch on yet makes a huge difference to training effect.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Pos: Great for conditioning and body comp. Have noticed positive results with both clients and myself.
    Neg: I (personally) and some of my clients have lost strength while on this type of program.

Another canned version you can look into is Marc McDougal's "Burn fat like you're on crack".

Br
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.

Had some issues today with the routine. The machines would still be available (Hammer machine mostly due to lack of spotter). The issue was relocating plates and reloading as someone had used it and done what they were supposed to, rerack the weights. On the ones that werent like mentioned, the machines/bench/squat were so far away I think I got a standard rest in before my next set. I did find the higher rep scheme more taxing as I am normally a MAX-ot 5x5 etc guy, but the wait was too long. I will have to really plan this out to make it work. I could go straight machine, but that isnt really my style -- I like free wieghts and if a machine, at least a hammer where the r/l arms etc are independant.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.

Man you were right. I didnt have as many issues today with other people. Did the followung
    Cycle 1
    Squats x15
    Hammer machine bench x12
    laying leg curl x12
    hammer shoulder press x 10
    mid grip cable row x 12

took 1 min break (well maybe 2) then did group 1 again

Had to cut some out of group 2 as I thought I might pass out or puke.
    lat pulldown x12
    machine leg press x 6
    cable calf raise x17
    stiff leg deal x18

Between these I ACTUALLY felt like I was going to puke. I was actually looking for the trash can. I avoided it by leaning foward and lowering head and deep breaths alone. Took me like 15 min till I moved. I have felt a bit drained now all day.

I have done up to 30 some sets before and been tired, but not like this. The effects above are from a 15 set routine high reps, good form, and small to no rest. Since noone else has, I am considering logging this. Will let everyone know if I do.
  8. Diamond Member

You could approach it in different ways.
    1) Stick with the circuit as it is and build on how many times you can complete it
    2) Complete the entire programme with longer rest intervals and shorten them with each subsequent workout

I prefer the latter as you still get to complete your intended workout volume as well as being more motivating mentally. As you shorten the rest intervals you will eventually create enough room to add in another circuit.

I like something like this:
    Week 1- 3 x 12-15
    Week 2- 3 x 10-12
    Week 3- 4 x 8-10

It allows you to vary the volume very easily. The proposed changes can be a global scheme across the board or for specific exercises. Some exercises you wouldn't necessarily want the reps as high e.g. fast twitch muscle groups or something where instability will compromise the training effect.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    You could approach it in different ways.
    1) Stick with the circuit as it is and build on how many times you can complete it
    2) Complete the entire programme with longer rest intervals and shorten them with each subsequent workout

I prefer the latter as you still get to complete your intended workout volume as well as being more motivating mentally. As you shorten the rest intervals you will eventually create enough room to add in another circuit.

I like something like this:
    Week 1- 3 x 12-15
    Week 2- 3 x 10-12
    Week 3- 4 x 8-10

It allows you to vary the volume very easily. The proposed changes can be a global scheme across the board or for specific exercises. Some exercises you wouldn't necessarily want the reps as high e.g. fast twitch muscle groups or something where instability will compromise the training effect.
    Thanks for the good advice. Would rep ya but I have to spread the wealth, or so it says....
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. p mag success!
    By roidsrcool in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 12:17 AM
  2. 84 day Log to success
    By Schecterx in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 04:32 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 03:59 PM