Are we ahead or behind

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
The more I study Kung Fu (Hung gar) the more I realize how we lost so much of the iron game. We have special exercises that dont use weight or much at all that build nasty physiques for the guys who are taking in enough calories. When I was younger 18-20 I had a fascination with old time strongman and I discovered them.

There was Maxick

Trained with very little weight and mostly dynamic tension. Crazy physique huh? Trained tons of people the same way.

Otto Acro

weights and dynamic tension

Are we missing a key link here guys. Is there something we dont know that they truly did. Interesting to think what these guys would have done with better than early 20th century nutrition and some supplements. These guys also set tons of strength records for their time.

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The more I study Kung Fu (Hung gar) the more I realize how we lost so much of the iron game. We have special exercises that dont use weight or much at all that build nasty physiques for the guys who are taking in enough calories. When I was younger 18-20 I had a fascination with old time strongman and I discovered them.

There was Maxick

Trained with very little weight and mostly dynamic tension. Crazy physique huh? Trained tons of people the same way.

Otto Acro

weights and dynamic tension

Are we missing a key link here guys. Is there something we dont know that they truly did. Interesting to think what these guys would have done with better than early 20th century nutrition and some supplements. These guys also set tons of strength records for their time.
First off, his name is Otto Arco.
Second he's just over 5' tall.

Have you seen modern gymnasts?
I think you're a bit confused. What are you trying to say? You're not athletic?

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
First off, his name is Otto Arco.
Second he's just over 5' tall.

Have you seen modern gymnasts?
I think you're a bit confused. What are you trying to say? You're not athletic?
I think you are taking the fact I reversed to two letters and are making that a point. Do we all not have typos?

Yes I have seen modern gymnasts which would actually go with some of the points I am making. We spend time after time trying to hoist heavier barbell after barbell to gain size yet there are so many other methods. We seem to live in a linear society of what works and what does not and throw everything else out of the picture for the newest craze. Now the point of me not being athletic it depends what you define as athletic. I know for a fact I do a lot of things that others can not, then again others can do things I can not. So it is all up in the air.

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think you are taking the fact I reversed to two letters and are making that a point. Do we all not have typos?

Yes I have seen modern gymnasts which would actually go with some of the points I am making. We spend time after time trying to hoist heavier barbell after barbell to gain size yet there are so many other methods. We seem to live in a linear society of what works and what does not and throw everything else out of the picture for the newest craze. Now the point of me not being athletic it depends what you define as athletic. I know for a fact I do a lot of things that others can not, then again others can do things I can not. So it is all up in the air.
I just don't understand your point at all.
There are a lot of people that do staight bodybuilding type training, there are others that do powerlifting, and others do statics, or endurance.
I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say "We seem to live in a linear society of what works and what does not and throw everything else out of the picture for the newest craze."
How is bodybuilding a new craze? How is being a gymnast thrown out? How is anyone stopping you from doing whatever kind of workout you please? What is your point?

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I just don't understand your point at all.
There are a lot of people that do staight bodybuilding type training, there are others that do powerlifting, and others do statics, or endurance.
I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say "We seem to live in a linear society of what works and what does not and throw everything else out of the picture for the newest craze."
How is bodybuilding a new craze? How is being a gymnast thrown out? How is anyone stopping you from doing whatever kind of workout you please? What is your point?
The point is we are in a society that does not believe certain things work. Tell someone you are going to train for a PL meet using this concept with one workout a weak with weights. You will get told everything in the book. Tell someone you are going to do a strongman meet without doing a single event you will get told you will fail. We live in a society today where if you are not training the mainstream way for a mainstream idea then you will fail. Bodybuilding is a very new craze. Last 70 years or so. All of it before that was about function as well as physique. You can train as you want but society will call you an idiot for training your style for a contest.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
i think we have got so wrapped up in the supplement game to enhance our physique , we forget that in the 30s 40 s 50 s and so on , a muscular physique was attainable without all the so called sophisticated and variety of supplements that are available today

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
i think we have got so wrapped up in the supplement game to enhance our physique , we forget that in the 30s 40 s 50 s and so on , a muscular physique was attainable without all the so called sophisticated and variety of supplements that are available today
It is interesting to see how supplements changed the world to. I am not totally against them but I am very minimalist.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
on the subject of gymnasts, whilest im not too familiar with their training methods , i would suspect that the physiques they attain are due to high repetitious work using their own bodyweight. The parallel bars , vault are two disciplines that spring to mind .There are other factors ;nutrition , rest , maybe supplements but im just looking at the training aspect.