Dumbbell Press or Chest Press -- Do you go all the way down?

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey

this is confusing... I used to go all the way down and hit my chest but some big dude told me to not do so.

I looked up pro bbs videos, Ronnie Coleman and Markus Ruhl didn't bring them all the way down but Kevin Levrone and Arnold did... so I'm wondering who is right and who is wrong ?

I do use my shoulders everytime I go all the way down and I feel them

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, if you can't do it, then train your antagonists, do your MFR, and narrow your grip.

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I talked to someone who knows his ****, he told me if you go all the way down you work your chest but you work your shoulders more which is useless...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I talked to someone who knows his ****, he told me if you go all the way down you work your chest but you work your shoulders more which is useless...
That "someone" doesn't know his ****. Your scapula should be retracted throughout the whole ROM. Doing so will lessen not only the shoulder involvement, but also the chance of injury.

Reactions: Ms9
jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I have gone all the way down since i started, i do see people who stop with about 4-5 inches left sometimes less, sometimes more. I feel like i obviously put up more weight if i dont go all the way down, but i find the key is you cant bounce it off your chest you have a nice solid movement down and explode up.

Moozkillzman

Moozkillzman

Awards
Honestly I go down till I stop feeling my chest working, whether that be all the way down or not.