Is there any reason not to war ankle braces all the time?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.26%

Is there any reason not to war ankle braces all the time?

I turn my ankles a lot, and have sprained each one pretty badly over the last 10 years. I'd really like to avoid this common injury, and I wonder if wearing ankle braces while running and lifting will in some way weaken my stabilizing muscles. I already think I need to wear them any time I play basketball or soccer.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.7%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Well, if it were me, I wouldn't use them until it was the day of a competition or more strenuous event. I would think of them kind of like a belt or straps. They can help you through a lift, but if you use them too much then you do lose out on the key components to your lifting such as a strong core (belt,) and wrist strength (straps.) In fact, using them for everything could actually weaken your ankles making you more susceptible of rolling/turning your ankles when you don't wear them.

But then again, I could be wrong. Those are just my thoughts on the subject.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

It will weaken your ankles if you wear them all the time. As silentbob said, use them to supplement already strong ankles that are simply prone to be being sprained.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.19%

Well I used to skate and rolled my ankles so bad that the tendons are so loose they will never tighten back up and the tendons wrap and slip around the bone and my ankles used to be very weak. Now the tendons are not the same and they never will be but I strengthened my ankle muscles up enough that they are just as strong. Take A 2.5 pound weight and wrap it to the end of your foot. Then sit on the edge of your bed and cross one leg over the other so that it is hanging. Then write the the ABCs forwards and backwards in the air with your foot as a set and do it 3 times. Or untill the burn is insane. Do that each night and then increase to 5 lbs for a while. Then if they ever start to get weak again just do it like once a weak or so to keep them strong

Similar Forum Threads

1. Wrist, Ankle, Knee wraps/braces/etc.
    By Zero V in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 06:26 PM
  2. HOW TO FIX A F****D UP ANKLE
    By panther77 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM
  3. another Reason to Recreate--Very good reason
    By Guest in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10