Best tricep exercise?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Best tricep exercise?

Yes, I'm that dude posting from the gym! But I just realized aftr I caught a glimpse of them in the mirror here that my triceps suck. I always thought (from reading) that close grip bench was best for tricep mass gains. What are your favorite tri exercises or the ones that you've seen the most returns on?

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

skull crushers SS into CGBP!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.

My favorite exercise would be CGBP w/boards.
    PrimeNutrition.com > 20% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    10% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    •   

The real key to arm growth, is heavy back work outs consisting of rows rows and more rows!!!!!!!!!!! add in some weighted dips and you are golden.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

When I was focusing on weights the best gains I saw in my triceps is when I added in a circuit of Pushdowns at the end of my arm routine.

Looked like this

Pushdowns 6-10 reps
    Reverse Pushdowns 6-10 reps
    Overhead push downs 6-10 reps
    Repeated 3 times
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Interesting question, lets take a look at triceps anatomy. As the name implies, there are three heads, lateral, medial, and long. You'll notice the medial and lateral both attach directly to the humerus (upper arm bone), while the long head attaches to the scapula (shoulder blade).

So whats the significance? The medial and lateral head are involved in all elbow extension exercises, from chest press to over head presses to press downs, etc. The long head, which coincidentally comprises a huge portion of the upper is not fully recruited during these movements.

For the long head to be fully recruited, the shoulder must be flexed and horizontally adducted; iow, the lockout position of a close grip press. Then, elbow must be flexed and extended while maintaining this arm position.

So, the (one of the) most essential exercises for developing the triceps is the lying triceps extension, or skull crusher. Make sure you keep your upper arms fixed, however. This means elbows must not flare out, and no upper arm swing.

Br
  7. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tbarrows View Post
    Yes, I'm that dude posting from the gym! But I just realized aftr I caught a glimpse of them in the mirror here that my triceps suck. I always thought (from reading) that close grip bench was best for tricep mass gains. What are your favorite tri exercises or the ones that you've seen the most returns on?
    Weighted Dips
    Next best: Close-Grip BB Bench Press

~Rosie~
    The Primordial Woman
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

I noticed my best tricep development when I focused on delts. IMO it can be easy to overtrain triceps since we hit them with chest and delt movements so we need to monitor that along with tricep exercises. I like dips but I got a weird pain on the sternum after a while.
  9. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Interesting question, lets take a look at triceps anatomy. As the name implies, there are three heads, lateral, medial, and long. You'll notice the medial and lateral both attach directly to the humerus (upper arm bone), while the long head attaches to the scapula (shoulder blade).

So whats the significance? The medial and lateral head are involved in all elbow extension exercises, from chest press to over head presses to press downs, etc. The long head, which coincidentally comprises a huge portion of the upper is not fully recruited during these movements.

For the long head to be fully recruited, the shoulder must be flexed and horizontally adducted; iow, the lockout position of a close grip press. Then, elbow must be flexed and extended while maintaining this arm position.

So, the (one of the) most essential exercises for developing the triceps is the lying triceps extension, or skull crusher. Make sure you keep your upper arms fixed, however. This means elbows must not flare out, and no upper arm swing.

Br
    I just love it when a man uses his brain to train his muscle.
  10. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tbarrows View Post
    For short periods of time the one that will work the best is the one you are currently not using.

Otherwise ZiR RED nailed it.

Unless you can really lay into real heavy cable push-downs their really, IMO, just good for a pump.
  11. Ms9

When performing CG bench, keeping the elbows in where they are supposed to be and going down to about 6 inches from the chest makes a huge difference then just benching with your hands in closer.

I believe the number one problem with most peoples triceps routines is they cheat. And by most people I mean all the *******s at my gym doing pushdowns with the entire stack and leaning in and moving their elbows everywhere.
  12. Registered User

My favourites are close grip bench, skullcrushers and military press.. I think the last one gives me best gains.. Usually I prefer heavy presses but skullcrushers give me so sick DOMS that it has to be beneficial.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Cgbp to fatigue and then go into skull crushers. I like to finish with dips to failure, or if I have a partner I will do bench dips with plates on my legs
    P-Mag + P-Stanz Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/174851-p-mag-p.html
  14. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

Br
    So....yeah skull crushers supper sets into cgbp.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.

skull crushers used to be my favorite but my tendons don't like those anymore

weighted dips and CGBP are my favorites. But mostly weighted dips. I do 3 sets of almost 20 with a hundred pounds strapped to me and i feel like i am done working triceps lol... Always a fan of training with high weight and dips/CGPB are the exercises that enable this.
    Mostly answered PM's
    Don't post on my profile, I don't read that stuff, PM me instead
    <------ Hard to believe, but I wasn't on any anabolics in the avatar shot
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.

Best for me are heavy weighted dips, keeping my body and legs vertical. Next is heavy single dumbell overhead extensions while seated, followed by close grip bench press.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need a good tricep exercise I can do at home
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 06:15 PM
  2. tricep girth
    By bi0hazurd in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
  3. tricep help!!!!
    By Russsssssssss in forum Training Forum