dip bar

newman897

newman897

Awards
so the dip bar at my gym is like V i see people doing it towards the back where it is more narrow and towards the front where it is wider ? my question is what is the difference does it hit something more or harder ?

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes Wider will help hit lower and outer pecs more and narrow will target triceps more....

I honestly do it where its somewhere in the middle, about shoulder width apart, to try and get both as much as possible.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes Wider will help hit lower and outer pecs more and narrow will target triceps more....

I honestly do it where its somewhere in the middle, about shoulder width apart, to try and get both as much as possible.
This ^^^^ compounded with how much you do or don't tilt forward. More tilt, more chest, more erect, more tri's.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When it comes to dips, play it by feel. If you want to put more emphasis on the chest, lean forward until you feel the chest doing more work. If you're wanting to hit the triceps hard, keep the back straight and make sure you're feeling the triceps doing a lot of work.

Dips are great because you can change it up during the exercise.

drvinnybombat

Awards
You want to perform a dip at a grip width where your elbows are point nearly straight back and your hands are like 3'' wider than your waist. This will cause your upper arms to stay tight to your body and the exact spot is different for everyone. The V bar is to accommodate everyones body size in one set.

Anywhere else on the bar is essentially a different exercise. The wider the grip, the more it is like a fly. I tend to think that you should do 90% standard form/grip in exercises. For instance, I wide grip bench press or squat with a power stance or sumo deadlift only once in a while but do the standard exercises every week.

newman897

newman897

Awards
thanks guys just something that i always thought about at the gym