Advice on training.

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27%

Advice on training.

Hi guys. I think I posted this in the wrong place before.

I have just started this new routine. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Im bulking currently, naturally. Im looking to follow the same routine when I cycle next year. Any help or tweeking would be welcomed.

Monday-Bi's and tris.

standing curls uni-lateral X3
    Close grip bench X3
    Bi lateral curls parellel grip(fingernails up)X3
    behind the head tri bar(dont know what its called)X3
    BI lateral hammer curlsX3
    pull downs X3

Sometimes i'll do more than 3 sets depending on how i feel.(that counts for all my work outs)

Tuesday-Delts and traps

Forward dumbell raisesX3
    Side dumbell raisesX3
    Barbell shrugX3
    Dumbell shrugX3
    Mill press(barbell)X3

Thursday-Legs and lower back

SquatsX3
    Ham curlsX3
    Leg raisesX3
    Dead liftsX3
    CalfsX3

Friday-Chest and back

Flat Bench press(barbell)X3 (I swap this for incline every 4-5 weeks)
    decline bench(barbell)X3
    FlysX3
    Standing reverse grip rowsX3(barbell)
    Lat pull downsX3
    Single arm dumbell rows(knelling on bench)

Thats it for weights. On the off days I do cardio, kick boxing and on the sunday im in the mountains off roading on the mountain bike.

I suppose my questions are these.(though I open to other suggestions outside of my queries)

1. Do I need to move my dead lift to delts and traps day? And do I need to move my Mill press to another day or even discontinue mill press all together(over training??)

2. When I go mountain biking im full on pushing it for 2.5 hours. I know this will make bulking difficult, but will it seriously hinder gains. Ive had 3 weeks off mountain biking and ive slamed on some weight(some fat to be honest to lol).

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.95%

A couple thoughts. The first is switching arms to friday. If you fry your arms at the beggining of the week then it will hurt your lifts, therefore hurting development in all your other muscles.

When doing bodypart splits I always work arms before my biggest rest period.

I'm also questioning why you are giving a whole session to arms, but back and chest are combined. Make your chest and back bigger, and your arms will get huge too, without fail. If anything I'd give chest almost a whole session with 1, maybe two tricep moves at the end, then do a back with with just 1 or 2 bicep moves at the end.

Another suggestion is to drop some of the isolation moves, like flies. When bulking you want to hit as many muscles as possible with as much weight as possible, especially since you're doing so much cardio too.

One of the biggest mistakes I think you could make is putting in incline bench in leu of flat bench. If you MUST do incline, then drop decline. A well performed bench press (with arched upper back and chest stuck out the whole time) will hit both mid and lower chest anyways.

To minimize negative affects on bulk from all that biking, make your leg sessions HEAVY and short. Just a suggestion of course, but drop the isolation leg work. Squats, front squats, leg presses are the way to go. Get in, go heavy, get out.

Do atleast one pressing motion for shoulders. Raises aren't for mass. Dumbells or barbell, your call.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27%

Ah ok. I was deliberately looking at hitting my bi's and tries twice a week as an experiment i.e doing a dedicated arm day then doing chest and back on a seperate day. I see a few people here suggesting smaller muscle groups can be hit twice a week. So you think it best to just hit them once i.e do tris when i do chest and bis when I do back. Thats what I was doing before this routine.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.95%

I've done dedicated arm days before, and if you want to do that then you can definitely hit them twice in a week. I guess I just thought more time could be given to chest and back and less dedicated to just arms. Remember, when you hit your chest and back harder with more volume, your arms are getting hit too. The same can't be said of dedicated arm movements. Also, the heavy weights you move when doing compound movements for the bigger muscles put a ton of tension on the arms and can produce great growth.

But hey, we all react differently to different types of training, and you really do have some great compound movements already in there. The little things I suggest are just the product of my probably overly analytical brain. In the end the one thing I'd really push is switching arms to friday. This way you can really kill them and still have semi-fresh arms when the next upper body session comes up.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27%

Quote Originally Posted by TateFTW View Post
    I've done dedicated arm days before, and if you want to do that then you can definitely hit them twice in a week. I guess I just thought more time could be given to chest and back and less dedicated to just arms. Remember, when you hit your chest and back harder with more volume, your arms are getting hit too. The same can't be said of dedicated arm movements. Also, the heavy weights you move when doing compound movements for the bigger muscles put a ton of tension on the arms and can produce great growth.

But hey, we all react differently to different types of training, and you really do have some great compound movements already in there. The little things I suggest are just the product of my probably overly analytical brain. In the end the one thing I'd really push is switching arms to friday. This way you can really kill them and still have semi-fresh arms when the next upper body session comes up.
    Thanks alot for the advice. Im going to move it around asap. I know it sounds silly but im obsessive. I have to stick to a routine for at least 4 weeks LOL so im actually 3 weeks into this one now. I'll finish next week and Im actually due a week off. After my week of I will definatelt switch things around and hit my arms at the end of the week. They have been feeling the fatigue now im 3 weeks in.

I probably will go back to doing my bicepts on back day and tris on chest, I agree its the way to get the best out of the arms. If im feeling fresh on other days I can always add in a set or two of pull ups or close grip benches to get the arms going.

Thanks alot for yor help.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need Advice on Training Log
    By tarheel10 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM
  2. Training Advice
    By ideatrade in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 03:59 PM
  3. advice for leg training
    By jcreedon in forum Training Forum