First post. Looking for input on 5x5 routine.

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.17%

First post. Looking for input on 5x5 routine.

I've been lurking for a couple months, so I figured it was time to register. I've been training on and off for the last 13 years or so, but I've been getting more and more serious about building some serious muscle in the last 6 months or so. Just started my first "real" bulking cycle, and I'm going to try a 2 week bulking 2 week cutting pattern with the goal of bulking while keeping fat gain down. I've gained 10 lbs in 11 days on a steady diet of chicken, eggs, milk, wheat bread, natty pb and protein powder (I think much of the weight is fluid, as before I started I had been cutting for about 6 months, but some of it is definitely muscle), although gaining weight has NEVER been an issue.

Sorry, rambling.

I've been doing bodypart splits with high volume and a combo of mid-heavy weights, but the DOMS are killing me. My legs are sore for upwards of 5 or 6 days. I also wanted a program that worked on a 7 day weekly split instead of the 6 day split I've been running, to help me stick to my 2 week bulk, 2 week cut cycle. I also wanted a focus on compound movements that would hit ceartain bodyparts twice a week. This is what I came up with;

edit; the numbers listed below are the possible days on which I can do each workout. This is there for flexability since my schedule shifts around a lot. Each workout will only be done once a week, which means 4 days training and 3 resting.

Sat- #1
    Sun- #1 or #2
    Mon- #2
    Tues- #2 or #3
    Wed-#3
    Thurs-#3 or #4
    Fri-#4

Squats 5x5
    Deadlifts 5x5
    Pullups 5x failure

Bench press 5x5
    Dips 5x just short of failure
    Close grip bench 3x8-12
    Calf raises 5x5

Cleans 5x5
    Bent over rows 5x5
    Chins 5x just short of failure
    Barbell curls 3-5x5-12

Overhead press 5x5
    Upright rows 5x5
    Skull crushers 3x8-12
    Calf raises 5x5

The idea is that each session starts with one body part and fades into another, i.e. bench press hits chest with some tricep, then dips hit both, then close grip bench hits mostly triceps with a little chest. Dips, chins and pullups are just short of failure because I can't do them weighted. Hell, I'm strong, but I also weigh 215 lbs. Back and calves are twice a week because my calves are small and my waiste is naturally wide so I need as much width as I can get in my back.

90 seconds rest between each set.

What do you guys think of this workout? Will it be enough volume to keep putting on mass?

2. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

The idea of training everyday is a little overkill. You NEED rest. You are going to be hurting yourself in the long run without it.

Also how do you plan on doing 2 week cut and 2 week bulk? Are you planning on alternating between calorie deficit and calorie surplus? This seems silly to me as well. I have never been a fan of bulking and cutting and 2 weeks doesn't seem like enough time to successfully accomplish each of those goals. Why not go for more of a recomp? Thats what it sounds like you want. There are different ways you can manipulate your diet to help you with a slow lean bulk. Than again maybe I am wrong, if you got this idea of a 2 week cut then bulk type cycle please let me know from where. Maybe it could work but I don't think it could. Anyway best of luck to you
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.17%

Oh, my bad, I forgot to say that each workout will be done ONCE a week. So 4 days of training a week. That part with the days listed is for flexability. Each workout COULD be done on the days iwth the corresponding number if I have things that keep me out of the gym on other days.
    •   

4. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by TateFTW View Post
    I've been doing bodypart splits with high volume and a combo of mid-heavy weights, but the DOMS are killing me. My legs are sore for upwards of 5 or 6 days. I also wanted a program that worked on a 7 day weekly split instead of the 6 day split I've been running, to help me stick to my 2 week bulk, 2 week cut cycle. I also wanted a focus on compound movements that would hit ceartain bodyparts twice a week. This is what I came up with;

Sat- #1
    Sun- #1 or #2
    Mon- #2
    Tues- #2 or #3
    Wed-#3
    Thurs-#3 or #4
    Fri-#4

Squats 5x5
    Deadlifts 5x5
    Pullups 5x failure

Bench press 5x5
    Dips 5x just short of failure
    Close grip bench 3x8-12
    Calf raises 5x5

Cleans 5x5
    Bent over rows 5x5
    Chins 5x just short of failure
    Barbell curls 3-5x5-12

Overhead press 5x5
    Upright rows 5x5
    Skull crushers 3x8-12
    Calf raises 5x5

90 seconds rest between each set.

What do you guys think of this workout? Will it be enough volume to keep putting on mass?
    I'm with JudoJosh here. Resistance training seven days a week is too MUCH - if you do NOT give yourself RECOVERY time, you won't grow, because it's IN your recovery time that gains are made.

I also agree with him that aiming for a RECOMP is far better than two weeks cutting and two weeks bulking, since you'll probably end up with similar results, and going from one extreme to the other over such short periods of time is NOT going to be conducive to either goal. Use a calorie cycling method to achieve a recomp.

The training sessions themselves are fine and are definitely enough to make gains. You only need to do each session ONCE a WEEK - you're also hitting each bodypart TWICE a week by doing these sessions only once as it is.

Do something more like:

Monday - #1
    Tuesday - Off (if you want to do something, do ~20 minutes of cardio)
    Wednesday - #2
    Thursday - Off (if you want to do something, do ~20 minutes of cardio)
    Friday - #3
    Saturday - #4
    Sunday - DAY OFF

This will give you a day off between resistance sessions and allow for adequate recovery.

~Rosie~
    The Primordial Woman
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.17%

For the 2 weeks bulk, 2 weeks cut thing, go to google and search "bulldozer bodybuilding bulking system", then click the link for the muscleandbrawn website.

In my research I found that it's worked well for some, not so much for others. I'm going to give it a whurl because I gain weight VERY easily and I really did gain some real muscle in my first 1 1/2 weeks bulking. It's not about recomping. It's still bulking, as of course it's darn near impossible in 2 weeks to lose the fat I'll gain during my 2 weeks of bulking.

(sorry if I'm breaking any rules by posting this.)

me=fail. I should have mentioned in the first place that each workout will be done once a week.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.17%

Now that I've cleared all that up, any other thoughts? I've always used bodypart splits. This will be my first foray into focussing on compound lifts since I played high school football, and our trainers really didn't know what they were doing. (I think that's why I like working legs so much. When we did it back in the day the focus was weight. No one taught me form, so I was always in pain. It's so much easier now that I have good form and am not trying to just set pr's.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.62%
    Achievements Posting Pro

imo the 2 wk bulk/2 wk cut thing is too little time to do either of those. your not going to get anywhere doing this. You may be able to gain a lb or two but it will be water. i dont think this is an efficient program to follow. i would say do one or the other. maybe bulk for 6 months and then cut for 6 months. your body will be just starting to get used to the amount of food you consume while on your 2 wk bulk and then it will change. this isnt enough time in an anabolic environment to see gains imo.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.17%

Quote Originally Posted by drinkyboy View Post
    imo the 2 wk bulk/2 wk cut thing is too little time to do either of those. your not going to get anywhere doing this. You may be able to gain a lb or two but it will be water. i dont think this is an efficient program to follow. i would say do one or the other. maybe bulk for 6 months and then cut for 6 months. your body will be just starting to get used to the amount of food you consume while on your 2 wk bulk and then it will change. this isnt enough time in an anabolic environment to see gains imo.
    I think keeping your body from getting used to it is actually part of the point. The article I talk about in post #5 sites three studies where weight gained by subjects switching from a caloric deficit to a surplus was mostly muscle for the first 2 weeks, even though the subjects didn't do any resistance training. After 2 weeks the weight gain shifted mostly to fat. The same is true for switching to a deficit. The losses are mostly fat while the metabolism is still running strong.

Also, I've only been bulking for less then 2 weeks and I've already gained 10+lbs. I'm sure it's mostly water, but my muscles have shown noticable growth with very little fat gain. Right now, at 215, I have far more vascularity and less fat then I did before I originally cut from 215 to 205. (I should probably take some pics, huh?)

I suppose my question would be how is this this different from carb cycling, inasmuch as we can take advantage of our bodies natural tendencies by changing what we do on a day to day or week to week basis?

At this point I think I'm going to give it a go, as an experiment, over the next 6 weeks, atleast.

I'm most curious to see how my body will react to the 5x5 program, which is why I posted, to see how others have done when changing to/from a higher volume bodypart split to a 5x5 type routine.
  9. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%

I think keeping your body from getting used to it is actually part of the point. The article I talk about in post #5 sites three studies where weight gained by subjects switching from a caloric deficit to a surplus was mostly muscle for the first 2 weeks, even though the subjects didn't do any resistance training. After 2 weeks the weight gain shifted mostly to fat. The same is true for switching to a deficit. The losses are mostly fat while the metabolism is still running strong.

Also, I've only been bulking for less then 2 weeks and I've already gained 10+lbs. I'm sure it's mostly water, but my muscles have shown noticable growth with very little fat gain. Right now, at 215, I have far more vascularity and less fat then I did before I originally cut from 215 to 205. (I should probably take some pics, huh?)

I suppose my question would be how is this this different from carb cycling, inasmuch as we can take advantage of our bodies natural tendencies by changing what we do on a day to day or week to week basis?

At this point I think I'm going to give it a go, as an experiment, over the next 6 weeks, atleast.

I'm most curious to see how my body will react to the 5x5 program, which is why I posted, to see how others have done when changing to/from a higher volume bodypart split to a 5x5 type routine.
    Are you going to be logging this? I would be interested in seeing how this turns out
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.17%

I wasn't planning on it, since I just started here, but I definitely can do that!
  11. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%

Post a link when start the log thread I'll subb along
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.17%

I started a log over in the bulking section. can't post the link though, not enough posts.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.07%

DONOT TRAIN EVERY DAY!!!
    rest is when you grow NOT when your working out. i rec EOD so 3-4 times a week and only one body part worked out each week ads in one time a week chest then rest it till the nest week and do somthing for the other workouts like arms ect.
    and never workout more then 2 days in a row without a day off.
  14. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.48%

I started a log over in the bulking section. can't post the link though, not enough posts.
    Here ya go Tate's 2 week bulk/2 week cut plus 5x5 log and welcome to the boards
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

Similar Forum Threads

1. My full-body routine, based on my stats, need some input guys
    By StellaArtois in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 02:09 PM
  2. My cut routine - Input?
    By JDK5386 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 06:57 AM
  3. Need some help/input on my routine
    By Gutterpump in forum Exercise Science