1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Leg Extension Machine

Anyone know of a good leg extension machine, that isn't over $300? I've seen some only. I'd like one that adjusts for someones height. The extension attachment I have on my bench I can't use because it's built for someone who is 5' 9" and I'm 6'.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.58%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I have an old Marcy fitness "station" that has a pec deck, pull down station, and leg extension you speak of, and the seat adjusts to 3 different heights. I'm 6'3 and can do extensions on it.

I bought it at ****'s sporting goods a few years back on sale for a bit under $200.

Only thing that sucks is I hafta put DB's on the weight stack since it only has 100 pounds, which is good for awhile!
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.55%

There are a dozen different pieces of equipment I would invest in before buying a leg extension machine. I'm not going to say its a useless apparatus, because it does serve a purpose, but for the development of the quads nothing is going to give you better results than some version of the squat - olympic squats and front squats possibly the most quad involvement. You're better off building a sissy-squat apparatus, to replace the leg extension.

Br
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    There are a dozen different pieces of equipment I would invest in before buying a leg extension machine. I'm not going to say its a useless apparatus, because it does serve a purpose, but for the development of the quads nothing is going to give you better results than some version of the squat - olympic squats and front squats possibly the most quad involvement. You're better off building a sissy-squat apparatus, to replace the leg extension.

Br
    I'm already doing front squats now and deadlifts, along with stiff leg deadlifts. On different days of course. I would like to be able to do leg extensions at home though. I'm going to by a pullup station first, then over the course of the next few months I'm going to buy a trap bar(for shrugs), a make shift tbar and then a leg extension machine and maybe a pulldown machine. I'm turning the garage of my new house into a personal gym. It'll be atleast a month or so before I go back to back squats though.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.22%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I think you should be able to find something in that price range, I'd hit up the Sunday paper, cr@igslist, garage sales, etc
    PrimeNutrition.com > 20% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    10% Off Coupon Code = theneck
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.14%

Yep, check Craigslist and ebay. You should find something suitable. Also, there's no difference in leg development with front or rear squats. It just comes down to which is more comfortable not which hits the quads harder. They both hit 'em the same.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.55%

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    Yep, check Craigslist and ebay. You should find something suitable. Also, there's no difference in leg development with front or rear squats. It just comes down to which is more comfortable not which hits the quads harder. They both hit 'em the same.
    Not nessessarily. Back squats using a powerlifter bar placement, low on the traps across the rear delts, will place more emphasis on the glutes and hamstrings. Using an olympic grip on the back squat is comparable to the front squat, in that the bar is higher and thus the torso must stay more upright.

Br
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.14%

Is there any study showing the difference? Because the one I saw didn't differentiate between the styles (olympic vs. powerlifter) of squats. It just concluded that the leg muscles get hit the same regardless of front or rear bar placement.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.55%

I can't say I've seen one where EMG's were done, I can take a look later this week.

My rationale is based off the biomechanics of the change in bar positioning changing the center of gravity and torso lean. A lower bar allows for a greater torso lean, thus recruiting more hamstrings. A higher bar, when performed correctly, means a more upright posture, placing more emphasis on the glutes and the quads.

Br
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.14%

Gotcha. Thanks.
  11. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Derick, i'd say given some of your other joint + flexibility issues, you may want to avoid leg extensions. They place a rather different strain on your knees and i'm thinking it may not work that well for you long term. I've got knee arthritis, and I do them (and fairly freakin heavy, was doing single leg ones for 110lbs) but as was said you'd be better off investing in something squat related.

something like this perhaps

And honestly, given the timing, you may want to put off buying it for a couple months. craigslist is basically flooded with exercise equipment from february thru march, as all the new years resolutioners realize they haven't touched the damn thing since buying it for themselves for christmas. So prices are most negotiable then
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Derick, i'd say given some of your other joint + flexibility issues, you may want to avoid leg extensions. They place a rather different strain on your knees and i'm thinking it may not work that well for you long term. I've got knee arthritis, and I do them (and fairly freakin heavy, was doing single leg ones for 110lbs) but as was said you'd be better off investing in something squat related.

something like this perhaps

And honestly, given the timing, you may want to put off buying it for a couple months. craigslist is basically flooded with exercise equipment from february thru march, as all the new years resolutioners realize they haven't touched the damn thing since buying it for themselves for christmas. So prices are most negotiable then
    I guess I'm almost all set then if I don't get a leg extension machine. All I need is a trap bar. I've been doing calf raises with the bar in the front squat position until I can do back squats. I'm wondering if these stretches will help with my back squat and overhead press
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-improv...acic-mobility/
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.55%

Will help a little with over head presses.
    You should also strengthen your mid trap fibers, lower trap fibers, rhomboids, and external rotators.

See if you can find a similar article about improving hip flexibility and function, namely, releasing the hip flexors and activating the glutes.

Br
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.13%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Will help a little with over head presses.
    You should also strengthen your mid trap fibers, lower trap fibers, rhomboids, and external rotators.

See if you can find a similar article about improving hip flexibility and function, namely, releasing the hip flexors and activating the glutes.

Br
    I did, it helped alot. I can actually front squat good now.

Similar Forum Threads

1. cycle extension help pls
    By DJDEANER in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 09:37 PM
  2. Life Extension
    By radaruckus in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 03:00 PM
  3. Life extension
    By Yagman in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 15