HELP WITH A 4 DAY SPLIT???

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I am slightly over trained and want to go on a 4 day split for a month and see what happens. I have been digging through and can't seem to decide what is really what? Any help??? I can't wrap my head around a 4 day??
Currently I am on a version of this lift

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Layne_Norton'
s_Power/Hypertrophy_Routine

and most of my lifts are stalling and I feel pretty jacked up most of the time.
I have been trying to actually run a few times a week and stress from outside sources are hindering me from a lot things OR I am overtraining and its causing me stress??
I have lost motivation and really want to be lazy about my diet...
Any advice would help!!!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
good plateau breaking routine is the 5x5. if u want a 4 day, this is something i do.

Monday - Shoulders, Traps
Shoulder BB Press, Let Raises, Reverse Fly
Shrugs, Barbell Pullup

Tuesday - Legs
Squat, Deadlifts, Leg Press

Wed - OFF

Thursday - Chest and Triceps

Friday - Back and Bis

Weekend OFF

if u are eating right, u shouldnt really plateau a whole bunch. also, its important to change routine constantly to avoid this situation

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I was considering the good old Bill Starrs 5X5 but even that beats me down fairly quick and I think I should wait on that one. I would like to keep my dead lifts and squats to different days my lower back seems to like that better. What I am thinking is
Chest and tri's
Back and bi's
off
Shoulders and traps
Legs
Off
Off
I guess what I am asking is more about sets and reps?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i wont suggest a push pull cause i personally hate it. but if it works for u then awesome. rep wise? for me, this works best. but i will mod for ur workout routine

Monday - Chest Tris
Flat BB - 3 sets: 5, 5, 3
Incline DB - 3 sets: 10, 8, 6
Flys(cable, flat DB. either) 3 sets: 15 to 20 reps

Tricep: Close Grip Bench - 3 sets 6 to 10 reps
EZ bar Skull Crusher - 3 sets - 10 to 12 reps
Rope Pushdown - 2 sets BURN 15 to 20 reps

Tuesday: Back and Bis
Deadlift: 3 sets: 3 to 5 reps
Lat Pulldown: 3 sets 6 to 10 reps
BB or DB Row: 3 sets 10 to 12 reps

BB Curl - 3 sets 8 to 12 reps
DB Incline - 3 sets 6 to 10 reps
21s

....etc basically, low reps on compound movements, medium reps on basic movements and high reps on the last exercise

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
That's the basic workout I have done 5 to 6 days a week for YEARS!!! No wonder I have stayed jacked up all the time!! The first workouts came from what I learned in gym class 22 years ago and stuck with most of them. I have always thought that the harder you work the more you get but I guess everything doesn't work like that.

What about leg day?

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
Here's a couple of ideas in regards to spliting up your core exercises.

Mon. - ME/DE
Squat

Wed. - ME
Bench

Fri. - DE/ME
Deads

Sat. - DE
Bench

Or

Mon
Military

Tues
Squat

Thur
Bench

Fri
Deads

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's the basic workout I have done 5 to 6 days a week for YEARS!!! No wonder I have stayed jacked up all the time!! The first workouts came from what I learned in gym class 22 years ago and stuck with most of them. I have always thought that the harder you work the more you get but I guess everything doesn't work like that.

What about leg day?
you need to constantly change your routine up!!! thats just one routine i shuffle through.

Leg Day

Squats - 4 sets: Reps 4 to 8
Leg Press - 3 sets: Reps 7 to 10
Leg extension - 3 sets: Re[s 12 to 15

U can also do deads on this day or variations of squats like box squats, front squats...etc

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I am going to try a 4 day week one 6 day week two etc. split and see how that works going heavy on the 4 day and lighter on the 6 and see how that works for me and when my ankle feels better in a few weeks switch over to a 5x5 for an 8 week run.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am going to try a 4 day week one 6 day week two etc. split and see how that works going heavy on the 4 day and lighter on the 6 and see how that works for me and when my ankle feels better in a few weeks switch over to a 5x5 for an 8 week run.
over training can be worse than not training at all. when u do ur 6 day split, get some good rest at night and be eating AALLLOOOT :burger:

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for keeping up!! The 6 day part will basically be taking singles from the 4 day and splitting them in half so it would be same volume just spread out over 2 workouts. I have my diet squared away for the most part it's just really understanding what worked for me 10 years ago doesn't work for me now and it's hard to make the changes as mother nature has her way with me....