Get Me Army Ready

culversguy

Awards
Hey guys im looking for some advice to get me ready for the Army my goal is to get into the special forces im going to do ROTC for my for years at college then go active for the last 4 years of my contract now the want the best of the best so i have to score a perfect 300 on the PT test. here is some background if been lifting for 1 year so far( lost over 60lb and almost 30% bf) im 18 5'9'' and 155 9%bf i know im going to lose alot of muscle so right now im just lifting to keep what i got now my workout is as follow(everything is 3 set 12 rep i just came off of a 4 month strength 7 reps)

monday(chest/bi)
flat bench
Incline bench
dips 3x fail
forarm
DB fly
curl
hammer curl
reverse curl

wed(back/tris)
close parrel pullups 3xfail
lat pull
high row machine
db row
tbar
overhead db extension
cable pull down
bar pull down

Fri(legs/shoulder)
squat
DL
seated calf rais
toe rais thing(forgot the name)
DB shoulder press
Military press
Delt raise
shrugs

tues/thurs/sat
run 2.2miles on a hilly path

sun-rest

thats what i do now and in order to get 300 on the PT test i have to be able to do
100 pushups in 2min - me 75
100 situps in 2min - me over 100
2 mile run 12 min - me 17:30(took 4 months off cardio for bulk was at a 6min mile)
3 pull ups - me 20(want to be able to do 30

now im going to start adding pushups on my cardio days and pull ups on my lift days but do you guys have any suggestion of what i can do to achieve these goals i have untill next school year to get there thanks for the help if i missed anything just ask

drvinnybombat

Awards
You're gonna need to work on running and endurance. ROTC at any university has good PT. The major at my school had them in good shape. The running is gonna kill you though. You need to do 3 miles in 18:00 to be an exceptional cadet and that's hard as s***. They'll have you in good shape after 4 years, but you'd better get running or freshmen year is going to kill you.

I wouldn't worry about push-ups and pull-ups and that kind of thing...you will get a lot of it in school and basic. The running however is crazy, absolutely crazy.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
You should probably get rid of all those isolation exercises in your lifting routine. You need to focus on a few basics and get better at push-ups and running. You will use up way too much time and energy with all those exercises. The Army isn't after bodybuilders, so don't train like one. Your lifting should be benches, military presses, pull-ups, rows, squats, and deadlifts. Do them once a week and split them up however you want. Do push-ups as your "assistance exercise" after your benches or military presses and use a variety of set and rep schemes. Do sit-ups at least twice a week whenever you want. You should probably also vary your running a bit. If you are doing three days a week do one day of interval training at a pace faster than your 2 mile pace, one day of ~2 miles, and one day of a longer run with a slower pace. The military doesn't care about you being big and strong, they want aerobic fitness and strength endurance.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
i agree.. get rid of the iso exercises.. focus on total body exercises.. higher reps.. calesthenics, cardio, rope climbing, mountain climibng (if you can find a mountain or a treadmill style one), I'd also look into taking up some form of martial arts. I went to a school with a guy in ROTC and we used to roll jiu-jitsu all the time. He said it reallly helped with his endurance and just overall strength.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
You want a 300 on your PT test? Run, do push ups, and sit ups. You don't need a body building routine to get fit according to the army.

Like the army says "Train like you fight". If you know your PT test is pushups, stop wasting your time doing military press. Squats aren't going to help your run.

On the other hand if you want a little bit of an edge in combatives, strength and mass training will come in handy, but sub 160lbs you're gonna get pushed around anyways.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
If you think you want to try the selection course for SF you need to do more than just the pt ****, and you'll probably want to start getting ready now. A full body workout 2-3 times a week would be best. And squats may not help you run, but they sure help you ruck. Being strong will help with everything. But do full body lifts instead of BB isolation exercises like the guys said. May even look at crossfit. SF is everything though, you have to be a great athlete as well as a very intelligent and incredibly mentally tough. Good luck.

Also, how can you do 20 pullups and run the 2 mi in 17 30?lol Doesnt make sense to me

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Here is the thing you don't wana pass the test with a perfect. You want to pass the test AND be able to survive in combat... Am I right? What good is a test if you can't survive in combat. I have told people you need to be an all around warrior and people always respond with well I have a gun. Here is the things guns can jam. You can have the most reliable gun in the world, but at some point in time statistically it can jam. Here is the next point there are times you may not have your gun for what ever reason. That is why you are taught hand to hand. Life is not a clear cut situation. Be ready for anything and be good to go.

Now that I have explained that what good would I be if I didn't tell you how to do get ready for this. First off I said well rounded so we needed to make you well rounded.

Flexability and mobility: These are mainstreams. If you are more mobile and learning to activate the right parts of the body your movement is more fluid and more useful wouldn't you agree. It will also improve flexibility. Flexibility needs to be worked on because you will be put into odd positions for things you need to be sure the body can take it also if you are ever in combat flexibility will be wonderful because it will help you ten fold. You dont want to be stiff.

Balance: you will be thrown into odd positions, you need control of your ground

Max Power: You need to be able to have a max power output. A max power will allow for a good solid hit. The ability to move a heavy object. Those times when quick powerful strength is needed.

Middle range power. This is combination between strength and endurance. Say your Hummer will supplies break downs and you gotta help push it. Say your building a base and your loading up sandbags. Even more important walking with a heavy pack or running with it for a short distance. This a well needed thing.

Endurance: there are all different kinds of endurance. The two you need are sprint endurance and long distance. Sprint endurance because tabata style will improve your long distance and it is also more real world functional. Endurance for the test (and for the long march every so often)

Grip: enough said

If you agree with this I'll give you an idea of how to set this up. As I said its not about passing the test its about being the best all around solider. Would you want a doctor who just passed the test or do you want the doctor who nailed the test so good no one even had a second thought and was able to above and beyond.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
You really just over complicated the **** out of that, steelwolf. But yeah, i agree with you pretty much.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
tues/thurs/sat
run 2.2miles on a hilly path

sun-rest

thats what i do now and in order to get 300 on the PT test i have to be able to do
2 mile run 12 min - me 17:30(took 4 months off cardio for bulk was at a 6min mile)
special forces eh? LOL. best up that to 20 miles/day with an 80lb ruck. forget the PT "standards", get ready for hundreds of push/sit ups....oh dont forget to do this all while starving and being sleep deprived for weeks....and somebody yelling at you. rest? HAHAHA good luck

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
You really just over complicated the **** out of that, steelwolf. But yeah, i agree with you pretty much.
actually not that complex. A lot of do it already in our training just dont think about it. I will cover this as I have spare moments to type it.

Flexibility/mobility: Mobility drills before every workout takes 5 minutes to 7 minutes. Easily found online or look into the DVD Magnificent Mobility. Results start showing fast. You really only need to do them 4-5x a weeks to see massive results. 3x for moderate. I do them twice a day 6-7 days a week and it's amazing how quick it works. 7-8 drills 8-12 reps a piece. Flexibility stretch at the end of every workout. Get a stretch rope or a rope in general to help. Stretch out:
Sholders
Chest
Hip Flexors
Quads
Hamstrings bent over standing ARCHED BACK and lying
Chinese style splits aka V's
Calf stretch

7 minutes or so 20 seconds each

Really simple

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Okay SW, i should of said wordy.

If you think you want to try the selection course for SF you need to do more than just the pt ****, and you'll probably want to start getting ready now. A full body workout 2-3 times a week would be best. And squats may not help you run, but they sure help you ruck. Being strong will help with everything. But do full body lifts instead of BB isolation exercises like the guys said. May even look at crossfit. SF is everything though, you have to be a great athlete as well as a very intelligent and incredibly mentally tough. Good luck.

Also, how can you do 20 pullups and run the 2 mi in 17 30?lol Doesnt make sense to me
I agree with this. Full body workouts with big compound exercises. Bench, Squats, Rows, Deadlifts, Cleanjerks.

If you are in top notch shape, the PT test will be a breeze. Like i said earlier, train like you fight. Nothing except running with a heavy backpack will get your ready for "Ruck marches". I think the more appropriate name to ruck marches is "Ruck Runs".

special forces eh? LOL. best up that to 20 miles/day with an 80lb ruck. forget the PT "standards", get ready for hundreds of push/sit ups....oh dont forget to do this all while starving and being sleep deprived for weeks....and somebody yelling at you. rest? HAHAHA good luck
The standard Ruck Weight is 35lbs. Special forces is a whole different deal though, so there is no telling.

That being said, people who are airborne for 20 years, consistently go on death marches, jump out of trucks/helicopters etc. all **** their bodies up in the long run.

Last deployment i competed in an theater wide competition hosted by the rangers. The hardest part was 11.5 mile ruck run, but all the preparation for that event was enough to beat my body up. It happened to be 127 degrees that day in Tallil.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Okay SW, i should of said wordy.

I agree with this. Full body workouts with big compound exercises. Bench, Squats, Rows, Deadlifts, Cleanjerks.

If you are in top notch shape, the PT test will be a breeze. Like i said earlier, train like you fight. Nothing except running with a heavy backpack will get your ready for "Ruck marches". I think the more appropriate name to ruck marches is "Ruck Runs".

The standard Ruck Weight is 35lbs. Special forces is a whole different deal though, so there is no telling.

That being said, people who are airborne for 20 years, consistently go on death marches, jump out of trucks/helicopters etc. all **** their bodies up in the long run.

Last deployment i competed in an theater wide competition hosted by the rangers. The hardest part was 11.5 mile ruck run, but all the preparation for that event was enough to beat my body up. It happened to be 127 degrees that day in Tallil.
First off thank your service.

We pretty much do agree in full after looking at what your saying. I just put as you said a more wordy spin on things. I am very very anal when it comes to diet and training programs. Ill put up the next idea on what I was saying after I train and please let me know if you like what you read. I have helped guys prepare for police training but never for SF military.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
First off thank your service.

We pretty much do agree in full after looking at what your saying. I just put as you said a more wordy spin on things. I am very very anal when it comes to diet and training programs. Ill put up the next idea on what I was saying after I train and please let me know if you like what you read. I have helped guys prepare for police training but never for SF military.
I didn't mean to come off as a douche. It's aparent you know what you're talking about. If OP is smart he will come to you for advice, since he wanted help breaking it down.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I didn't mean to come off as a douche. It's aparent you know what you're talking about. If OP is smart he will come to you for advice, since he wanted help breaking it down.
No worries man, didn't take it negatively at all.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Ok sorry this takes a while, but with schooling and work I don't get tons of time to write this up I hope to have all this written by the end of the weekend.

Grip is very simple for military. There are two kinds normal holding for anything chinup related which will be trained with regular lifting and obviously chin ups and dynamic power. If you wanna grab someone you want to be bone crushing. For this you want to get a mini bag of steel shot. Ironmind sells one. You want to start at 10 over hand graps (downward drop) 10 forward grabs like grabbing a shirt fist style and 10 grabs forward style knuckles up. Over 6 months building to 50 a day each style. That will be a death grabbing power. 3 non consecutive days a week. Get a 2.5inch dumbell (about the size of an average persons wrist in circumference. Drop and catch 20 times each hand. That is your grip training very simple

Max strength reps 1-3. Don't worry about over training it. There are only some many movements a body can do. Vertical pull, vertical push horizontal pull, horizontal push, vertical push hip dominant leg, quad dominant leg. Here are your movements: Chin up with weight, Barbell row (pendly style parallel back none of this 45 degree ****), a floor press, a military press, a romanian DL, and an olympic squat with a pause. Those are your best strength moves for your goal.

I will cover the rest in a bit I gotta go do my own training right now. Now as you will my journal is not set up this way, but what I am training for is in no way close to your goal

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Max strength reps 1-3. Don't worry about over training it. There are only some many movements a body can do. Vertical pull, vertical push horizontal pull, horizontal push, vertical push hip dominant leg, quad dominant leg. Here are your movements: Chin up with weight, Barbell row (pendly style parallel back none of this 45 degree ****), a floor press, a military press, a romanian DL, and an olympic squat with a pause. Those are your best strength moves for your goal.
Need to be very careful not to injure yourself if you're rep range is 1-3.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Need to be very careful not to injure yourself if you're rep range is 1-3.
Agreed. I'll get more into it with program design, but I never like going higher than 90% on 1 reps and 85% for 3 reps. Really not needed much more. You can gradually add and be fine.

Ok back to training lol Phone updates me of all new posts.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
Everything looks good to go but start bumping up the running to at least 7 miles...the selection is a nutkicker.....you'll run even more after selection and go to an SF company or there ODA.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Drop the weights, start running more and doing plyometrics. I wouldn't run with weight at the moment as it is most likely to lead to an injury. They'll build you up to that i guess. It's circuit training you really want to focus on. Endurance,power, speed and stamina.

Have a look at my log, i'm training for the Royal Marines at the moment, might give you some idea of what kinda exercises to do.

Smith402

Awards
Honestly the army PT standards are a joke..., Just build up your muscular endurance do a ****on of situps and pushups and run 2-4 mile runs and increase your pace everytime till your under the 13:00 min on your 2 mile

culversguy

Awards
srry for no response my computer decided to die out and i finally got it back. thank you for all the posts that i got i really appreciate it. the reason why i was going for the army PT standard is since ill be fresh meat i want to stand out from the start and i figured score 300 on the PT would be a great way to do it and i do realize that SP will be a hole different story. so do you guys think i should start training for SP since it is so much harder then the PT i Should be able to get the 300 just by training for SP right? im also confused about weights should i drop my lifting totally or switch to more body weight or what?

I want to thank Steel and killer for all their posts

As for steel you said that you would help me set some of this up im willing to do anything that it takes and put my full effort into it if you help it seems like you know what you guys are talking about so i am yours to mold into a soldier

any help is welcomed and since the comp is running ill be able to respond atleast once each day

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Just to throw this out there, i never do pushups, yet i can still max it out easy. Any powerlifting or bodybuilding routine you will get enough muscular endurance to do 70-some pushups. Obviously doing situps enough, you will be able to pretty easily be able to do the Army standard of around 80 as well.

The only thing that won't come naturally if you're working out, is the running. I don't like doing cardio as i am a bonafide ecto, so normally i run about a 14 minute 2 mile. A little bit of work and i could get 13 minute 2 mile pretty easily.

I guess it depends on your goals. If you just want to stand out on the PT test, train for the PT test with body weight exercises.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Sorry bro hectic weekend and this slipped my mind

Balance: you will be thrown into odd positions, you need control of your ground

this is a 10 minute thing max. A lot of people say blah blah but since doing hung gar training I dont move.

Standing on one foot for time. Bring that knee into the chest and hold hands at your side like you see martial artists do for a horse stance.

Get into a deep lunge and stay there tightening up the legs for time.

I dont normally advise bosu balls but I will for this. No movements just trying to keep your ground.

Planks fall into this also if you can get a foot ab wheel those make it even better and any exercise with majorly help with balance. If you want to really good get at balance take 6 months of tai ch. Barely any school will teach chi activation anymore but you'll get sick grounding. To the point of how well my grounding is: I dropped into a bow stance (kind of lunge) and my professor at school was trying to push me around it and I didn't budge one inch.

culversguy

Awards
just hoping on for a little before i head off to class i plan to write up a new routine with all your guys input and have it up to night and see if im starting to get on the right track

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Middle range strength is compound movements for a higher rep range 20 or so- you want to be working for around a minute to 3 minutes straight within the planes of motion.

Vertical press/hip dominant pull -clean and press
Vertical pull- chinups with a band
Horizontal pull- DB rows or bodyweight rows
Horizontal push- pushup /w weight (life line cables makes a great added resistance band for these)
Quad push- olympic squats, front squats, car push (which is both but eh)

Endurance long term is 2 kinds
tabata training and long endurance 15 minutes minimum.

Tabata training is 20 on 10 off -15ish minutes. I advice bodweight stuff all squats, all pushups, all situps or one round of each. If you finish it all without needing to skip a round your not going hard enough. Then the running time that is where you do your endurance running and then you add weight as you go. Dont just into weight.

Lets see your program and will go from there.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I think you should get to know the basics of land nav with a map and compus. Go to Airborne school and gett your wings akso...you WILL need your wings for SFAS. I would say that being mentally fit is the biggest challenge for all...thats what they look for in people is someone that can operate at an elite level while faced with sleep deprevation, food deprivation and an ungodly amount of pressure. Alot of people dont fail...they quit themselves. There are also a number of classes you will be required to take so i suggest finding those out and brush up to get a leg up!

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I think you should get to know the basics of land nav with a map and compus. Go to Airborne school and gett your wings akso...you WILL need your wings for SFAS. I would say that being mentally fit is the biggest challenge for all...thats what they look for in people is someone that can operate at an elite level while faced with sleep deprevation, food deprivation and an ungodly amount of pressure. Alot of people dont fail...they quit themselves. There are also a number of classes you will be required to take so i suggest finding those out and brush up to get a leg up!
There's no way i have figured that can prepare anyone for the mental training the military does. You either are the kind of person that will make it, or you're not.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
There's no way i have figured that can prepare anyone for the mental training the military does. You either are the kind of person that will make it, or you're not.
Spend time under a traditional martial arts instructor lol.. (though you will find less than a 100 in America)

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Exactly!! and only the person going into the training can determine that. You will get pushed beyond what you thought was humanly possible and then some. You have to be honest with yourself as to if you really have what it takes or else your wasteing your time. I had the pleasure of working with a few SF guys while in Iraq and they say thats the biggest challenge of them all...many candidates cant hack it mentaly.

culversguy

Awards
im doing four years of rotc in college which is going to start next school year so im going to learn all the fundamentals(nav, map, compus etc) and im going to do the ranger club rifle club for the extra learning. i know that the mental stress is going to be the hardest part and i believe i will be able to do this because im not going into SF because its cool im doing this for me as a personal test to be the best and to serve my country. but any ways should i keep my 3day lifting 3day cardio 1day off plan or should i have more cardio less lifting or visa versa? but its back to class thanks for the advicce

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
hows the training coming along?

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established

------------------------------

This is not correct.

Male Ages 17-21

for a 300 on the APFT:

71 Pushups
78 Situps
13:00 2 mile run.

There are no pullups on the APFT.

If you want to be SF you need to be able to run a lot, and ruck march a lot. Don't even worry about pushups or situps, those will go up if you are rucking and running.

IIRC there is a timed 6 mile run in Selection, then you run a PT test like an hour later.

FYI you will never have to do 100 of anything to get a 300 on the APFT.

And it might be damn near impossible to do 100 situps in 2 minutes anyway...

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established

------------------------------

This is not correct.

Male Ages 17-21

for a 300 on the APFT:

71 Pushups
78 Situps
13:00 2 mile run.

There are no pullups on the APFT.

If you want to be SF you need to be able to run a lot, and ruck march a lot. Don't even worry about pushups or situps, those will go up if you are rucking and running.

IIRC there is a timed 6 mile run in Selection, then you run a PT test like an hour later.

FYI you will never have to do 100 of anything to get a 300 on the APFT.

And it might be damn near impossible to do 100 situps in 2 minutes anyway...
aye a 100 for press ups and sit ups seemed like a lot lol

Bile12345

Awards
If you are trying to just max the APFT just do each day 5 sets 50 pushups, 50 crunches in the morning and the same at night mon-fri. As for running the 2 mile; jog mon, wed, fri 4 miles each and ride a bike tue, thu at least 10 miles each. This will make you easily max the APFT in 2 months. I know this because I got a bunch of fatasses to do this and they maxed the APFT in 2 months.
As for Selection; Ruck Tue, Thu, Sat 6-12 miles vary it with 45-75lb ruck. At the end of the ruck course do 5 sets of 10 ruck squats. This is what my buddy did to pass selection. You also got to be good at land nav and have some heart. Because you will be getting destroyed physically and mentally.
Other than that Army PT is easy to pass. The only bad thing about it is they still do the 19th century tape test that is garbage and Ive seen some big guys fail that even though they are just muscular.