Push/Pull/Legs....when to do shoulder isolations? - AnabolicMinds.com

Push/Pull/Legs....when to do shoulder isolations?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Push/Pull/Legs....when to do shoulder isolations?

So far for shoulders, I do military press on push day, then upright rows on back days, and shrug at the top of deads.

When would front and lateral raises fit the best? When I do my back, since I'm pulling up?

I'm almost thinking of making it a 4 day split and having a seperate shoulder day, but right now I do good to get in 3 days a week.

Thanks!!
    True story:

I give a f**K!!

2. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by waynaferd View Post
    So far for shoulders, I do military press on push day, then upright rows on back days, and shrug at the top of deads.

When would front and lateral raises fit the best? When I do my back, since I'm pulling up?

I'm almost thinking of making it a 4 day split and having a seperate shoulder day, but right now I do good to get in 3 days a week.

Thanks!!
    Back is a "Pull" Exercise - do your Back exercises on "Pull" day.

You do not need to do front raises if you're doing military press- military press is far superior for your anterior deltoids. If you want to add in lateral raises, do them at the end of your Legs session or add in another day, but make it a session of body-parts you want to focus on.

Another thing is to make your Legs session the FIRST session of the week, then Push, Pull, and if you decide to, finally a fourth session of body-parts you want to focus on - the last session can be a lot shorter than the others, even 10-15 minutes, but you can still definitely make it effective.

~Rosie~
    The Primordial Woman
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

If you want to do isolation work for the shoulders, try doing some side or rear delt work after your compound lift. You could even superset side or rear laterals with your overhead pressing movement if you wanted to up the intensity. Supersets are the sh*t!
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Like mentioned above, if your hitting Military's hard/heavy, there's no need for a bunch of iso work.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Well I like to think hard and heavy anyways

I think my outer delts are one of the weaker parts, and wanna give them some extra love LOL

But yeah, I do deads, rows, pull-ups, uprights, curls etc.....all the back exercises on pull day.

Legs seem to be the shortest workout session, so I think I'll try laterals, and maybe front raises on that day at the end.

Thanks for the advice!!
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

If anything, I would do more rear delt/mid-trap work for posture reasons.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I think rodja nailed it on the head.

To expand a little bit, the major problem I see with deltoid development is weak scapular retractors and over developted anterior delts and scap protractors (pec major and minor). As a result, you never fully recruit the lateral deltoid for any pressing movements. Further, it places you at a mechanical disadvantage when doing over head movements.

Stand up and try this. Roll your shoulders as far forward as you can. Now, keeping them like that, keep your arms straight, do a front raise and continue to try to raise them over head. How high did they go?
    Now, do the same thing, except pull your shoulders back and keep them that way. Notice a difference?

I think all the front delt work people do is actually a negative - it results in a further protraction of the scapula. If you are going to do side laterals, keep your shoulder blades pulled back. Your weight will decrease, but your recruitment and development will increase.

Br

Similar Forum Threads

1. Push/Pull/Legs. Advice.
    By Boondoggleyou in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 10:23 AM
  2. push/pull/legs for advanced lifters
    By Mafesto31 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 10:16 PM
  3. Is there any routine truly better than Push/Pull/Legs?
    By chocolatemilk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 03:57 PM
  4. push/pull/legs
    By msucurt in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 09:38 AM
  5. For anyone who follows a push/pull/legs split...
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 01:15 PM