Deadlifting every week

1. Registered User
    Answers

Deadlifting every week

I was wondering how many of you deadlift every week? I have heard many people say to only deadlift once every two weeks. Is it really a big deal to be deadlifting every week?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  211 lbs.
    Answers

I personally do it every week. I would go by how you feel
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Doing a 1RM every week is a bad idea, but you should do some form of deadlift every week.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

I deadlift at some point in every back workout..love 'em
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Deadlift 1-3x a week, sometimes as many as 5x. Varied reps, rarely max.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Answers

depends on your goal. But as a powerlifter and using the westside methods. I dont do deads off the floor but one time every 3 weeks+. And usually when i pull from the floor I do bands from the bottom or reversed to change the lift a little. You can also use chain as well. If you are lifting to gain muscle, pulling once a week is a good idea.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MongoSS View Post
    depends on your goal. But as a powerlifter and using the westside methods. I dont do deads off the floor but one time every 3 weeks+. And usually when i pull from the floor I do bands from the bottom or reversed to change the lift a little. You can also use chain as well. If you are lifting to gain muscle, pulling once a week is a good idea.

+1

I would go as far as saying it's a must. Squats and deads are the ultimate compound movements & should be done once a week, reguardless of what kind of training your doing i.e. BBing, PLing......
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Answers

wendler's 5/3/1 has them every week, but with one week out of a 4 week cycle being deload.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Answers

The advice to only deadlift every few weeks usually comes from powerlifters. Most powerlifters squat so much, up to 3x a week or even 4x a week, that deadlifting every week on top of that is a terrible idea. Unless you are training the big three for a meet, deadlift all you want.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Answers

I usually base it off of how I feel. I've went 3 or 4 weeks straight doing deads. I've also done 1 on/1 off when I just didn't feel ready for it. I seldom go under 8 reps anymore though thanks to my genetic disposition for hernia's.
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Thanks for the input guys! I think ill keep them in at once a week. I have been making progress with them at one a week, but had a couple of guys at my gym say i should only be doing them every other week. Wasnt really planning on dropping them as long as i was making gains, but still, i wanted to run it by the AM community and see what people here said.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Answers

If you're going all out and really heavy, just listen to your body. If you feel fresh and strong then that's a good sign. If you continue to get more and more fatigued as the weeks go on and if you see your progress regressing, then you'd want to change something. If you're seeing contant improvement (or at least maintaining rather than regressing) then you're okay.

I like deadlifting once a week but I generally don't go extremely heavy. Usually three sets of something like 8/5/3 works well. Pretty heavy, but not like powerlifting training or anything. I can do this once per week and it works fine.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

personally i Think you should switch between heavy deads and heavy squats every cycle meaning 8-10 weeks... Then your second movement should be focused on getting the other lift stronger.. For example right now i want my deadlift higher so im using a max effort off the box movements then doing deadlifts after.. After i feel my deadlift is stalling im going to do Squats full ROM and do rack pulls, good mornings deficit deads etc.. 2nd so that my squat going up will be my first priority....
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

I do 'em every other week. No point in burning myself out doing them every week and making it so I don't like to do them.
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Me deadlifting
    By Tomi18 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 09:53 AM
  2. Want To Improve Your Deadlifting ? Here Is How...
    By dragonfly in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 02:26 PM
  3. Deadlifting gear
    By pavb10 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 10:58 AM
  4. Should I stop deadlifting?
    By JohnnyBGood in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 01:00 AM
  5. Why a nosebleed when deadlifting?