Deadlifting every week

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering how many of you deadlift every week? I have heard many people say to only deadlift once every two weeks. Is it really a big deal to be deadlifting every week?

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
I personally do it every week. I would go by how you feel

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doing a 1RM every week is a bad idea, but you should do some form of deadlift every week.

nerdalert

Awards
I deadlift at some point in every back workout..love 'em

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift 1-3x a week, sometimes as many as 5x. Varied reps, rarely max.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
depends on your goal. But as a powerlifter and using the westside methods. I dont do deads off the floor but one time every 3 weeks+. And usually when i pull from the floor I do bands from the bottom or reversed to change the lift a little. You can also use chain as well. If you are lifting to gain muscle, pulling once a week is a good idea.

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
depends on your goal. But as a powerlifter and using the westside methods. I dont do deads off the floor but one time every 3 weeks+. And usually when i pull from the floor I do bands from the bottom or reversed to change the lift a little. You can also use chain as well. If you are lifting to gain muscle, pulling once a week is a good idea.

+1

I would go as far as saying it's a must. Squats and deads are the ultimate compound movements & should be done once a week, reguardless of what kind of training your doing i.e. BBing, PLing......

Sweekaters

Awards
The advice to only deadlift every few weeks usually comes from powerlifters. Most powerlifters squat so much, up to 3x a week or even 4x a week, that deadlifting every week on top of that is a terrible idea. Unless you are training the big three for a meet, deadlift all you want.

sharperunner

Awards
I usually base it off of how I feel. I've went 3 or 4 weeks straight doing deads. I've also done 1 on/1 off when I just didn't feel ready for it. I seldom go under 8 reps anymore though thanks to my genetic disposition for hernia's.

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input guys! I think ill keep them in at once a week. I have been making progress with them at one a week, but had a couple of guys at my gym say i should only be doing them every other week. Wasnt really planning on dropping them as long as i was making gains, but still, i wanted to run it by the AM community and see what people here said.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you're going all out and really heavy, just listen to your body. If you feel fresh and strong then that's a good sign. If you continue to get more and more fatigued as the weeks go on and if you see your progress regressing, then you'd want to change something. If you're seeing contant improvement (or at least maintaining rather than regressing) then you're okay.

I like deadlifting once a week but I generally don't go extremely heavy. Usually three sets of something like 8/5/3 works well. Pretty heavy, but not like powerlifting training or anything. I can do this once per week and it works fine.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
personally i Think you should switch between heavy deads and heavy squats every cycle meaning 8-10 weeks... Then your second movement should be focused on getting the other lift stronger.. For example right now i want my deadlift higher so im using a max effort off the box movements then doing deadlifts after.. After i feel my deadlift is stalling im going to do Squats full ROM and do rack pulls, good mornings deficit deads etc.. 2nd so that my squat going up will be my first priority....

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I do 'em every other week. No point in burning myself out doing them every week and making it so I don't like to do them.