I'm still having alittle shoulder pain, is it wise to do the overhead press?

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Is it better to keep adding weight to scaptions as I pogress or would it be better if I just increase reps and keep the weight low? I'm already at 20 lbs on the scaptions. Is that enough, or should I increase the weight? I'm able to get 3 sets of out.

2. Okay...I looked at my form on the lateral raise and it was terrible. I had a hard time getting the form so I tired doing it with the weight at my sides. Even at lighter weight my forearms still come up past my elbows. It seems I am unable to fix this problem no matter what I do. It seems anytime I try to do lateral delt work I can't do it, everything feels awkward. Here is my terrible form that probably made my shoulder worse. I have trouble having my arms straight or bringing them higher. Could all this trouble be do to my imbalance, and if so is there any chance I can do any lateral delt work correctly with this imbalance? I still feel a pump in my lateral delts after working them even if I am workign them wrong.
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...t=HPIM1293.mp4
    •   

3. Okay I think I may have solved my own problem. I just simply tilted my hands alittle. How does this look?
    http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...t=HPIM1294.mp4

4. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Is it better to keep adding weight to scaptions as I pogress or would it be better if I just increase reps and keep the weight low? I'm already at 20 lbs on the scaptions. Is that enough, or should I increase the weight? I'm able to get 3 sets of out.
    Shoulder injuries are not usually caused by overhead pressing; they are instead caused by bench pressing without properly balancing pushing and pulling and in turn their internal and external rotators of the scapulae are imbalanced.

Adding weight is the better method of overload.

Imbalances are usually in the rotator cuff muscles.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Shoulder injuries are not usually caused by overhead pressing; they are instead caused by bench pressing without properly balancing pushing and pulling and in turn their internal and external rotators of the scapulae are imbalanced.

Adding weight is the better method of overload.

Imbalances are usually in the rotator cuff muscles.
    I ultimately think that I injured my shoulder by adding too much weight too soon on the upright row, along with improper form, because I never had shoulder pain until I started going heavy on the upright row.

6. Upright rows are just terrible exercises to do all together when it comes to shoulder health and longevity.

After watching your video, i can say a couple things
    1. the weight you are using is too much. You're core and back musculature cannot support it.
    2. After about 45 degrees you want your thumbs to be pointing UP. Keeping them ahead or down brings impingement on the supraspinatus tendon and will further hurt your RC.
    3. I think you need more supraspinatus work. Band lateral raises leading with the pinkey up to 45 degrees will work well for htis.

Br

7. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Upright rows are just terrible exercises to do all together when it comes to shoulder health and longevity.

1. the weight you are using is too much. You're core and back musculature cannot support it.
    2. After about 45 degrees you want your thumbs to be pointing UP. Keeping them ahead or down brings impingement on the supraspinatus tendon and will further hurt your RC.
    3. I think you need more supraspinatus work. Band lateral raises leading with the pinkey up to 45 degrees will work well for htis.

Br
    I couldnt agree more! If something bothers you, dont do it. You said that doing heavy upright rows hurt your shoulder. You answered your own question. Shoulder injuries take a while to rehab, so I would say take it easy and as stated above, do some band work...it goes a looong way!

8. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Upright rows are just terrible exercises to do all together when it comes to shoulder health and longevity.

Br
    I can't just lower the weight and try it? I don't have any bands. It's just really how can I put this, depressing. Weights are the only thing that help me with stress and now with this injury I have stress because of the exercises.

9. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I can't just lower the weight and try it? I don't have any bands. It's just really how can I put this, depressing. Weights are the only thing that help me with stress and now with this injury I have stress because of the exercises.

Two things.

First I totally emphasize with you.
    I'm a doctoral student, and exercise is really my only outlet for stress and anxiety. If I was injured and could not train, I think I would go nuts.

That said, you need to look at this long term. I *assume* you want to continue to workout into old age, and use exercise and weight training as not only a mode to stay strong, healthy and look good, but also as a therapeutic means to reducing stress and anxiety.

If that is the case, then continuing to work through this injury and not rehabing it is like driving with the check engine light on and engine knock. Sure, you can probably squeeze another 5 or 10,000 miles out of the car, but eventually it is going to break down and cost you 5-10x as much and as long to fix.

Unfortunately, you only have one body. So try to imagine how you would feel if you need shoulder surgery and then cannot lift for an extended period of time.

Get yourself some bands. You can buy them for 5 bucks at ocean state job lot or order them online for similar

Br

10. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Two things.

First I totally emphasize with you.
    I'm a doctoral student, and exercise is really my only outlet for stress and anxiety. If I was injured and could not train, I think I would go nuts.

That said, you need to look at this long term. I *assume* you want to continue to workout into old age, and use exercise and weight training as not only a mode to stay strong, healthy and look good, but also as a therapeutic means to reducing stress and anxiety.

If that is the case, then continuing to work through this injury and not rehabing it is like driving with the check engine light on and engine knock. Sure, you can probably squeeze another 5 or 10,000 miles out of the car, but eventually it is going to break down and cost you 5-10x as much and as long to fix.

Unfortunately, you only have one body. So try to imagine how you would feel if you need shoulder surgery and then cannot lift for an extended period of time.

Get yourself some bands. You can buy them for 5 bucks at ocean state job lot or order them online for similar

Br
    Just to point out I had 15 pounds on the dumbbells making them 25 pounds. I could go as low as 10, which feels very light. Whats the difference between bands and light weight dumbbells? I'm not trying to be smart I'm just wondering. Are my shoulders worked slightly different? I can probably go get a pair of bands later today.
    •   

11. Resistance increases as bands are stretched, and you generally have more control over the vector (direction) of the force with bands.

You could use 10 pounds, but I still feel you should be working to strengthen the fixators and stabilizers first before you work on the primary movers.

Br

12. A bit. Don't think you need so much bend in the eblow. Also, dont forget to keep your shoulder blades pinched together.

Similar Forum Threads

1. shoulder & db press
    By Exercise123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
  2. Shoulder press i HATE it.
    By repmks in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 03:08 AM
  3. Shoulder press
    By onimusha in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0