Bad Knee - Missing Cartilage (Help w/ exercise ideas)

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.54%

Bad Knee - Missing Cartilage (Help w/ exercise ideas)

Excuse my possible misuse of the technical terms, but essentially I had surgery to repair the tendons that hold my patella in place. One was screwed in tight, and on the other side the tendon was loosened in order for both sides to have equal pull. The problem is after several dislocations a good amount of the cartilage under the knee cap got scraped off in the process of the dislocation.

The surgeon recommended I never do full squats again, because the repetitions will continue to slowly rub away what little cartilage is left under the knee cap. I have tried doing half squats and I just don't feel like anything is getting accomplished, and I read the other day that they are actually terrible on your knee. I am about to start bulking again, and am desperate for some kind of leg routine that I feel is actually working my quads and hamstrings with some kind of intensity. Any suggestions?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.89%

Honestly the remaining cartilage will likely be worn away no matter what you do, so you might as well find a way to get your legs stronger. Here is what I would recommend:
    1) Get a pair of good neoprene knee sleeves like rehbands and wear them every time you train legs.
    2) Learn to SQ with your shins completely vertical (i.e. no forward movement of the knees at all) to just below parallel. This will likely require a slight wider stance than most people use and you may need to start with a box SQ to get used to sitting back. This will develop the leg muscles while minimizing stress on the knee.
    3) Get a sled or prowler you can load with heavy weights. You can push or pull this and get some leg work in without having to load the knee significantly.
    4) You could also do conventional deadlifts as your primary lower body exercise and do just enough squatting with moderate weights to get some work in.
    5) Any hamstring exercise should be fine, unless you find something causes you great pain.
    6) Get foam roller or PVC pipe and roll your quads, hamstrings, and IT bands every day.

With all that said you will probably have to experiment a bit to see what you can tolerate. With all you have going on with that knee, I would also ice it after every lower body training day just to minimize any potential inflammation.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.72%

Yikes, knee injuries are NO FUN!

I've been through two ACL reconstructions with other work done as well. For the longest time I could not squat, or do leg extensions AT ALL...way too much pain behind my knee cap. When I moved back here to Iowa, my new gym had a Hammer Strength V-Squat machine. I gave it a try, and found out I could do pretty much pain free squatting. It does just what SRS2000 suggested in that it allows you to keep your shins straight up and down, and bend just at the knee. It really helped me put on some leg mass...and eventaully start squatting again. Now I am almost 100% squatting, and only use the machine every couple of weeks, as it does seem to help keep my knees in good shape.

A quick google search will show you what the machine looks like
    "hammer strength v squat"
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.54%

Thanks a lot guys. When I get some more time on my hands I'll do some research into the suggestions and post back if I have any additional questions.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Honestly the remaining cartilage will likely be worn away no matter what you do, so you might as well find a way to get your legs stronger. Here is what I would recommend:
    1) Get a pair of good neoprene knee sleeves like rehbands and wear them every time you train legs.
    2) Learn to SQ with your shins completely vertical (i.e. no forward movement of the knees at all) to just below parallel. This will likely require a slight wider stance than most people use and you may need to start with a box SQ to get used to sitting back. This will develop the leg muscles while minimizing stress on the knee.
    3) Get a sled or prowler you can load with heavy weights. You can push or pull this and get some leg work in without having to load the knee significantly.
    4) You could also do conventional deadlifts as your primary lower body exercise and do just enough squatting with moderate weights to get some work in.
    5) Any hamstring exercise should be fine, unless you find something causes you great pain.
    6) Get foam roller or PVC pipe and roll your quads, hamstrings, and IT bands every day.

With all that said you will probably have to experiment a bit to see what you can tolerate. With all you have going on with that knee, I would also ice it after every lower body training day just to minimize any potential inflammation.
    Foam rollers have got to be my favorite item! i have ITBS and i feel great rollin it out daily! couldnt agree more!
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0%

I feel your pain. Literally.

Had 4 knee operations in my 20's. in the days when cartilage wasnt repaired it was removed. Only thing left for me is a replacement. I am one of those people that has to learn the hard way via pain and here is what I have learned:

1) No lunges, never, under any circumstances not even with light weight. I forget about this once a year and do them and it hurts for weeks

2) I never squat to the floor any more. Box or bench that allows thighs close to parallel to the floor.

3) Leg press machines OK

4) for me ok to do extension machine with lighter weight
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.33%

Yes. As previously mentioned, sled pulling is probably the best you can do for strength and mass without further damage to your knees. Very effective. Good luck

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need more bodyweight only exercise ideas
    By MP591 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 11:32 PM
  2. Now shark cartilage, worth it?
    By Flay in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 07:25 PM
  3. cartilage growth?
    By FitModel in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3