Triceps just don't grow

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Is it genetics ?

I know some pro bodybuilders like Gunter and Markus Ruhl lack triceps too but they do all kinda stuff like IGF1 and ... ! IGF1 makes new muscle cells so how come their triceps don't grow ?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Genetics places an important roll in building muscle, but it is not the only thing. Often training methods are flawed and people try to train like the pros when they are only beginners or amateurs at best with horrible diets and in turn they blame genetics. It just really depends on a variety of factors when it comes to arms.

The most important factor I see overlooked in arm size is weight gain. People are forgetting you must gain weight to add inches to your arms. The 2nd most overlooked factor is progressive overload.

If someone is having trouble with triceps, I would question the following:

1- Are you gaining weight regularly? At least 1lb per week?
2- Are you progressing regularly in your bench press, parallel dips, or tricep extensions?
3- How frequently do you train your tricep muscles?

Usually, it's a good general rule of thumb that for every 15lbs you gain you add an inch to your arm circumference, provided that you're regularly adding weight to your exercises and weight has been gained steadily (majority being LBM).

This means on average, a person could expect to gain 1 inch to their arms about every 16-20 weeks. Of course, eventually you would need to cut weight and lose inches in your arms, but if you do it properly you would gain leanness.

HalfLiter

Awards
Is it genetics ?

I know some pro bodybuilders like Gunter and Markus Ruhl lack triceps too but they do all kinda stuff like IGF1 and ... ! IGF1 makes new muscle cells so how come their triceps don't grow ?
The best results that i have ever got out of my triceps is just ensuring i hit all of the tricep muscles with dips, closegrip pushdowns widegrip pushdowns, and then palms up pushdowns.( This might be common knowledge to you but it wasnt to me at the time and i saw good results from it)

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Reply to KingKong

to be honest man, I don't believe in that rule ! I sometimes see guys with huge arms, like their arms are bigger than rest of their bodies.... I have also seen some big guys like big chest and shoulders but their arms are not that big

Small guy big arms = Mike the Situation
Big guy small triceps = Markus Ruhl ( thanks to his huge biceps that forgive his triceps )

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Reply to KingKong
Small guy big arms = Mike the Situation
Big guy small triceps = Markus Ruhl ( thanks to his huge biceps that forgive his triceps )
I said genetics play a roll in overall muscular development. No one said you couldn't be considered small with big arms in ratio, but you're still required to gain weight in order to build ANY muscle.

diezel

Awards
  • Established
What are you doing right now for your triceps? Things that have worked for me are rest pause sets and tri-sets. For singular exercises I like weighted dips and close reverse grip BP.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Heavy compounds make mine grow, especially heavy clean + press, with lockout. Makes them pop, along with deltoids + traps.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If someone is having trouble with triceps, I would question the following:

1- Are you gaining weight regularly? At least 1lb per week?
Very few people on this planet can answer a true "yes" to this question.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
compound movements to try:

close grip bench off 2-3 board
Bench Dips
JM Presses

Isolation

Lying DB ext

Overhead DB ext

overhand and or reverse grip cable ext.

Also pay attention to the volume you are using, If you are only doing 8 sets of tris try 10-12 or go lower rep 6-8 on compounds and high rep 15+ on isolation movements. Try to rotate sets and reps weekly even if its only a few reps difference. You must also drop volume according to intensity.

purebred

In a nutshell, OP, move heavier weights, sleep better and eat more.

EDizzle

Awards
A lot of it has to do with muscle insertion points too bro. If you look at Arnold, Flex Wheeler, or Brian Dawkins of the NFL if u know who he is, sh** actually most pro bodybuilders, their triceps insert all the way down into the elbow. If you have a higher insertion point and long tendons, it'll be difficult because the actual belly of the muscle is relatively much shorter and you'll have a rough time gettin em huge. We all have our freaky bodyparts that grow like a weed no matter what you do, and our bodyparts that lag behind no matter what...all strengths and weaknesses are due in large part to bone structure and musc. insertion points... that said of course we can all back off on our strongest sh** and work the hell out of our weak points... my point is just know that maybe you gotta accept that your tris will never be your showcase bodypart, but never blame genetics, ever, just work your balls off with all that good advice all these dudes gave u above. PS Familiar with Franco Columbu? His insertion points sucked on his arms, it was damn near impossible for him to catch his arms up to his ridiculous torso n legs but he proved for those of us who got the sh** end of the stick on that, that you can still get strong as a bull, get "big arms" as compared to the rest of humanity and get a sick ass biceps peak ... oh yea and he won the Mr. Olympia twice. Train on bro

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Man it's sometimes Genetics !!! Markus Ruhl has very bad triceps, doesn't mean he sucks at training them !!

Do u guys think I should jump on IGF1 only on triceps ?

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lol..... Sorry my arms get big easy, especially my tris and bis.... I need me some huge delt to make em look right cause my tris get so big its hard to see the nice cut on the bottom of the delts n have a nice capped round look to the top of my arms....

Really heavy bench and heavy rope pull downs would be my suggestion....

Also working weaker body parts with more advanced posts is something I've been told helps, I now train delts(shoulders period) WITH tris and still only do very little direct exercises for them triceratops during that workout.... Gotta figure that they get trained indirectly with chest too and in shoulder presses, but you could obviously change it do you user more direct exercises so you can get your tris done 2 times a week

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
21, but I can do IGF1, I went from 155 to 200 in a year and half lol

Do you suggest me doing IGF1 only on tris ?
You missed my point completely. You're only 21; give it time before you result to using peptides.

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
compound movements to try:

close grip bench off 2-3 board
Bench Dips
JM Presses

Isolation

Lying DB ext

Overhead DB ext

overhand and or reverse grip cable ext.

Also pay attention to the volume you are using, If you are only doing 8 sets of tris try 10-12 or go lower rep 6-8 on compounds and high rep 15+ on isolation movements. Try to rotate sets and reps weekly even if its only a few reps difference. You must also drop volume according to intensity.

Spot on!

"Heavy" close grip board presses are are the way to go. And "Heavy" weighted dips would be a close 2nd.