when to train legs

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I knmow this might seem lik ea wierd question but i got a flag football game tomorrow but also one on tuesday so i was wondeirng if it would be better to train my legs tomorrow before the game or on monday and then risk being very sore for the game on tuesday. I guess it comes down to is it better to have tired legs from lifitng the day off or sore legs from lifting the day before? Thanks!

brad1224

brad1224

Awards
  • Established
why dont you just push it back till after your tuesday game?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I knmow this might seem lik ea wierd question but i got a flag football game tomorrow but also one on tuesday so i was wondeirng if it would be better to train my legs tomorrow before the game or on monday and then risk being very sore for the game on tuesday. I guess it comes down to is it better to have tired legs from lifitng the day off or sore legs from lifting the day before? Thanks!
Honestly, don't train your legs before your games. Use common sense - you want to be fresh for your games, and FOOTBALL training should be the focus right now. Wait until Wednesday for your Legs' session.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks guys i think i might just do back then with maybe sum light legs....cu its been a while since i hit legs and im doin arms today so i dont wanna do chest monday cuz that woudl be bad for the tris correct?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks guys i think i might just do back then with maybe sum light legs....cu its been a while since i hit legs and im doin arms today so i dont wanna do chest monday cuz that woudl be bad for the tris correct?
Why don't you just focus on your FOOTBALL training - as I mentioned before - especially if these games are important. And while you work your triceps doing chest exercises, it's not "bad" for them. Sounds like you don't have a plan re training - you need to get one!

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Rosie. Be fresh before football games by NOT lifting before them. Just take whatever day your games are off. If your games are on Fridays, then lift on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. That way you can take a break on Friday and Saturdays.

I wouldn't recommend doing "legs" on their own day. You'll find a much better endocrine system response by doing a full body routine. When doing squats before other exercises (or deadlifts or cleans), you'll find that you perform upper body movements better and they're easier to grow.

I'd do box squats on Sunday and Thursday and do front squats on Tuesday personally. Do deadlifts on the same day that you front squat.

Try this... or something similar

Sunday
Box Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Bent Over Row 3x10
Incline Press 3x10
Weighted Pullups 3x10
Abs 3x15

Tuesday
Front Squat 5x5
OH Press 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Weighted Dips 3x10
Weighted Pullups 3x10
Abs 3x15

Thursday
Box Squat 8x2 (explosive)
Bench Press 3x10
Power Clean 5x3
Face Pull 3x10
Weighted Pullups 3x10
Abs 3x15

Pharoe

Pharoe

Awards
Depending on the training im cycling through depends on when Im going to work my legs. I take into consideration what I have going on outside of the gym.

You for instance have these football games. If I were doing a fully focused leg routine in my splits then I would do legs the day after the game. But if I had another game withing two days then I would either do a light leg routine or non at all. Since I dont belive in "light" routines then I would let them rest until I have a chance to give them 48 hours of rest.

Pharoe

Pharoe

Awards
Try this... or something similar

Sunday
Box Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Bent Over Row 3x10
Incline Press 3x10
Weighted Pullups 3x10
Abs 3x15

Tuesday
Front Squat 5x5
OH Press 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Weighted Dips 3x10
Weighted Pullups 3x10
Abs 3x15

Thursday
Box Squat 8x2 (explosive)
Bench Press 3x10
Power Clean 5x3
Face Pull 3x10
Weighted Pullups 3x10
Abs 3x15[/QUOTE]

This is all strenth, size and money routine right here. This split will get you right!!! I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike it

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks alot .... i like that routine i liek how it involves alot of explosive trianing which i am trying to fit into my split right now..... my split right now is as follows...usually....

day 1 - chest
day 2 - back
day 3 - Off
day 4 - arms
day 5 - legs
day 6 - shoulders/traps
day 7 - off

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
You're not listening... stop "splitting". Your body was designed to work as a unit. You're not just working back on back day, you're also working biceps, legs, shoulders, etc. and the same with every other day.

By working your body as a whole you're further stimulating a higher anabolic endocrine system response and you're allowing further and faster development of muscles. I gave you a routine above to follow.

If you insist on splitting, then try an upper/lower split.

Pharoe

Pharoe

Awards
You're not listening... stop "splitting". Your body was designed to work as a unit. You're not just working back on back day, you're also working biceps, legs, shoulders, etc. and the same with every other day.

By working your body as a whole you're further stimulating a higher anabolic endocrine system response and you're allowing further and faster development of muscles. I gave you a routine above to follow.

If you insist on splitting, then try an upper/lower split.
Amen!

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
alright, thanks.....any way i could break that up into a 4 day split? then maybe do like plyos on off days or sumthin?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established