Question for Rest

  1. New Member
    drewsky90's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    82
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    86.64%

    Question for Rest


    hey dudes/dudesses, i was contemplating with my workout scheme and i wonder if its ok to gain mass relatively quickly with a M/W/F workout (or inthis case cus of Monday gym closed T/Th/Sat) if it is still ok to workout forearms and abs on my *rest days while still maintaining 4000 cal?

    i dont feel overtrained, but i also feel like im not growing enough either, but it could be that im not eating enough because im burning alot or not a good enough ratio of protien/carbs/fats..

    im going to class atm but if more specifics needed ill bb in like 4-5 hrs.

    awesome in advance, one love!

  2. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,163
    Rep Power
    261079
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    37.92%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post
    hey dudes/dudesses, i was contemplating with my workout scheme and i wonder if its ok to gain mass relatively quickly with a M/W/F workout (or inthis case cus of Monday gym closed T/Th/Sat) if it is still ok to workout forearms and abs on my *rest days while still maintaining 4000 cal?

    i dont feel overtrained, but i also feel like im not growing enough either, but it could be that im not eating enough because im burning alot or not a good enough ratio of protien/carbs/fats..

    im going to class atm but if more specifics needed ill bb in like 4-5 hrs.

    awesome in advance, one love!
    Whether or not you will gain mass on 4,000 calories daily depends on what your Maintenance is, and whether or not you're eating enough - and also somewhat on WHAT and how you're training. You don't need to train forearms and abs four days a week - stick to twice. Have at least ONE day off a week.

    Check out these Gaining Muscle articles re nutrition and training for more information on how to structure them both for gains.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. New Member
    drewsky90's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    82
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    86.64%

    sorry i knew i rushed this thread
    my off days are sat/sunday but i do the 5x5 MWF and T/TH is forearms/core work..

    i suppose though on the calorie intake is common sense if youre not growing then = youre not giving the body its rightful nutrition

    i suppose my ultimate question is doing workouts on T/TH while not concentrating on the major muscles still counts as a rest day for that group?
    •   
       

  4. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,163
    Rep Power
    261079
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    37.92%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post
    sorry i knew i rushed this thread
    my off days are sat/sunday but i do the 5x5 MWF and T/TH is forearms/core work..

    i suppose though on the calorie intake is common sense if youre not growing then = youre not giving the body its rightful nutrition

    i suppose my ultimate question is doing workouts on T/TH while not concentrating on the major muscles still counts as a rest day for that group?
    No, any day that you perform resistance training (or intense/anaerobic training) is NOT a "rest day". A rest day is either a day COMPLETELY OFF from ALL training, or if training, only doing some short and light/easy cardio.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. New Member
    drewsky90's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    82
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    86.64%

    **** lol, im a college baseball player so i need to incorporate the major muscles (mostly legs anyway) and def forearms and 100% on the core...

    and im trying to bulk, i can nail the diet down but im also sort of an ectomorph and i usually gain lean mass rather than mass..

    so can i still gain weight (15 lbs in 3-4 months?) doing this regimen doing/using 7-8 meals a day including whey/scivation xtend/creatine/mega vitamins? or am i just not resting enough to grow?
  6. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,163
    Rep Power
    261079
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    37.92%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by drewsky90 View Post
    **** lol, im a college baseball player so i need to incorporate the major muscles (mostly legs anyway) and def forearms and 100% on the core...

    and im trying to bulk, i can nail the diet down but im also sort of an ectomorph and i usually gain lean mass rather than mass..

    so can i still gain weight (15 lbs in 3-4 months?) doing this regimen doing/using 7-8 meals a day including whey/scivation xtend/creatine/mega vitamins? or am i just not resting enough to grow?
    It doesn't matter what kind of athlete you are - and if you are an athlete, concentrate on making yourself better re sport, if that is the point of you being in the gym. And if your coach is any good, they should already have you on a training programme that will maximize your performance - predominantly sports specifics during in-season, and focus on everything else (such as your lean mass gains) during off-season.

    As far as gaining mass, there is nothing wrong with gaining lean mass, and gaining lean mass is better than gaining mass with a lot of that fat.

    Be realistic about your goals. 15lb of weight gain can easily happen in 3-4 months, but hat weight is NOT going to be 15lb of MUSCLE mass.

    Only you can know whether you are giving your body enough rest to grow. And it's not JUST about the rest and recovery - as I mentioned before, if you're not eating ENOUGH, then you can rest all you like and you won't make progress re gains.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  7. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.15%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

    I'm with rosie on this one.

    Personally, since it is off season, I would take that tues/thursday to work on conditioning and skills. Getting big and strong is pointless if it doesn't translate into a more powerful swing or pitch.
    And further, you should be more focused on developing your hip and shoulder stabilizers than your forearms. How many baseball players do you see out midseason due to hip, hamstring, or rotator cuff injury? Work your external humers rotators, your hip abductors, your glutes, and your scapula fixators.

    Br
  8. New Member
    drewsky90's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    82
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    86.64%

    ye i dont mind gaining lean mass, but the weights going to come if i keep eating so im going to spend more time on my mechanics and throw with my body and not the arm

    thx like always <3 this site
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. days rest....still sore question?
    By lightemup in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 02:50 PM
  2. Question about Routines and Rest
    By kck in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 01:28 AM
  3. Rest Pause Question
    By lvtrojan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in