lifting wrist straps

austinfrench5

Awards
Hey guys,
I have been using lifting wrist straps in the gym during my shoulders/traps, and for my back on my back/bis day. So the only time i use these straps are for traps, back, and a couple lifts for shoulders. I have heard that even using these straps for a few excercises like this can really shrink you forearms. I feel like my forearms have been shrinking lately but it could also just be me being selfconcious about it. Any idea if the lifting straps actually have that much of a difference in forearm size/strength?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They may slow them as far as growth goes, but you have a choice of working maximal weight for a large muscle like back to get it to grow, or limiting back growth because of weak grip/forearms. If you are that worried add some separate grip + forearm exercises. even just reverse curls and grippers

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i do deads and rack pulls w/o straps so my grip is no issue
i use straps for heavy rows and shrugs when i'd like to concentrate more on the target muscle.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
They may slow them as far as growth goes, but you have a choice of working maximal weight for a large muscle like back to get it to grow, or limiting back growth because of weak grip/forearms. If you are that worried add some separate grip + forearm exercises. even just reverse curls and grippers
x 2 couldn't have said it any better myself.

I'd rather get the most out of my compound lifts then worry about losing strength in my fore arms. since i started using versagripps i do grip work a couple times a week

Tex44

Awards
I made the mistake for over the years of training with straps also. I put them to rest a few years back and wish I never even messed with them. Once you start to develop strong hands and a strong grip not only will your weight go up but it's real strength. Straps are definitely over rated. I have a total of over 20 years in and also owner of my own gym. Powerlifting, athletes, bodybuilders, at my gym do not wear straps. They are for guys who are weak handed. Do some extra grip work plate holds, get a pair of the Grip4orce to add, and watch you weight go up plus your forearms start to really grow.
I know this is a hard subject to debate, but the guys who do use straps have not taken the time to see what the hands can do. I have and spent years at doing both, and I can truly tell you you are only as strong as your weakest link. Lose the straps

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
I made the mistake for over the years of training with straps also. I put them to rest a few years back and wish I never even messed with them. Once you start to develop strong hands and a strong grip not only will your weight go up but it's real strength. Straps are definitely over rated. I have a total of over 20 years in and also owner of my own gym. Powerlifting, athletes, bodybuilders, at my gym do not wear straps. They are for guys who are weak handed. Do some extra grip work plate holds, get a pair of the Grip4orce to add, and watch you weight go up plus your forearms start to really grow.
I know this is a hard subject to debate, but the guys who do use straps have not taken the time to see what the hands can do. I have and spent years at doing both, and I can truly tell you you are only as strong as your weakest link. Lose the straps
I call SHENANIGANS.

Ronnie Coleman - enough said.

BEAST

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I can deadlift almost 200 more pounds with straps......take a guess at what I would do...

I do try to do heavy warm-ups with out them, but I'll use them regularly.

Somewhere is a thread about fatgripz or something that helps build up your forearms and grip strength, if its really that much of a prob.

Tex44

Awards
I can deadlift almost 200 more pounds with straps......take a guess at what I would do...

I do try to do heavy warm-ups with out them, but I'll use them regularly.

Somewhere is a thread about fatgripz or something that helps build up your forearms and grip strength, if its really that much of a prob.
if you can dead 200lbs with your straps then you definitely have some soft hands. And by the way a real dead lift is performed without straps. One question how many times can you shrug 225lbs with out straps. Get back with me on that awesome one.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Well, 325 with out, 500 with.....Thats a 1 RM, BTW. REp wise is about 115 more w/o, but 200 sounds better :D

justinc

Awards
I don't use straps. I use chalk on deadlifts and BB shrugs. I think it helps my grip strength since Im not using straps. To each his own though.

Sweekaters

Awards
There is no reason to use straps unless you are a bodybuilder and do not want to involve the forearms. If you use chalk and dump the straps, your grip will grow quickly and you will never have a problem with it again.