Lunges

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
I like throwing in barbell lunges on leg day. Is there any negatives to doing them without "walking" that is to do the lunges in place? I'd like to do walking lunges but there isn't a great place for that at my gym.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like throwing in barbell lunges on leg day. Is there any negatives to doing them without "walking" that is to do the lunges in place? I'd like to do walking lunges but there isn't a great place for that at my gym.
You can do lunges many ways:
* Alternate Lunges (forward and/or backwards and/or sideways)
* Static Lunges
* Walking Lunges

You don't have to do them "walking" - if you want to do as close as you can to that, then do the alternate forward lunges (i.e. lunge forward with one leg and then go back to standing position, and then complete the exercise with the opposite leg lunging forward).

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
I was having the same issue with not enough room to walk around, but thanks for the input^

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
any negatives to doing static lunges?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
any negatives to doing static lunges?
No - as long as your form is correct, there's generally no negatives to doing any resistance exercise.

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No, as Rosie said there are ones that are static, where you simply lunge but dont take the next progressive step.

An alternative to lunges would be step ups, if you have a bench, or are confined to a small area.