Uneven Bench Solution

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Hey Guys,

I have found lately that it is my right shoulder that is stopping my bench from progressing.

I have started putting flat dumbbell bench presses into my routine to help even out my shoulders.

Is this right?

Cheers :)

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Yes.

With barbells, the more dominant/stronger side with always do most of the work; it is just a natural thing, but with dumbells, each side has to perform equally and move an equal amount of weight requiring more use of the stabilizer muscles.

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Excellent, that's what I thought but thought I'd better check.....

Cheers

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Fix what's wrong with your shoulder, you could have something wrong that's throwing off your balance, weak rotators, scapular retractors, etc. I've also seen LOTS of problems with one side lagging that were caused by uneven leg drive, myself included, so make sure your feet are even with respect to both forward/aft location and width/toe in/out. Pay more attention to your setup and squeeze the bar extra tight with the hand that's lagging behind. Close grip work against bands really helped me even out, but I didn't have a shoulder issue. Good luck and stay positive.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Fix what's wrong with your shoulder, you could have something wrong that's throwing off your balance, weak rotators, scapular retractors, etc. I've also seen LOTS of problems with one side lagging that were caused by uneven leg drive, myself included, so make sure your feet are even with respect to both forward/aft location and width/toe in/out. Pay more attention to your setup and squeeze the bar extra tight with the hand that's lagging behind. Close grip work against bands really helped me even out, but I didn't have a shoulder issue. Good luck and stay positive.
This guy brings up some good points too. And weak scapula retractors and external rotators of the humerus are a common condition that not a lot of people even know exists.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
more than likely its not your shoulder but your triceps that are crapping out on you. I prescribe close grips off boards and or the chest with a little skull crusher action worked it on it.