Is there any chance to lessen scoliosis through exercise and stretches?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I have scoliosis and have had it since puberty. I was diagnosed with an 11 degree curve. I have read stories about people not curing they're scoliosis but lessening it. I read about people having a 20 degree curve lessening it to about 10 degrees. I'm hoping I could some how lessen my curve to like a 4 or 5 degree. I know surgery has many risks and at the stage I'm at isn't worth it. I would really like to lessen my scoliosis I get concerned I will have trouble later on lifting heavy weight overhead because of it and frankly I'd like to be 6 foot. My right shoulder actually used to be taller a few years ago, but once I started lifting and eating better my shoulders began to appear leveled, as they do now. I read about alternative treatment clinics using a technique called "C.L.E.A.R" but of course they are no where near close to here and insurance probably wouldn't cover it anyway.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have scoliosis and have had it since puberty. I was diagnosed with an 11 degree curve. I have read stories about people not curing they're scoliosis but lessening it. I read about people having a 20 degree curve lessening it to about 10 degrees. I'm hoping I could some how lessen my curve to like a 4 or 5 degree. I know surgery has many risks and at the stage I'm at isn't worth it. I would really like to lessen my scoliosis I get concerned I will have trouble later on lifting heavy weight overhead because of it and frankly I'd like to be 6 foot. My right shoulder actually used to be taller a few years ago, but once I started lifting and eating better my shoulders began to appear leveled, as they do now. I read about alternative treatment clinics using a technique called "C.L.E.A.R" but of course they are no where near close to here and insurance probably wouldn't cover it anyway.
I don't know about lessening it, but you can definitely manage it and prevent it from causing too much 'inconvenience' in your life. I have a scoliosis in my cervical vertebrae, and one of my lecturers when I was doing my degree made the comment that my training - re muscle and strength gains - was what had stopped it causing me health and other issues. Building up and strengthening the muscle in your back, especially around the rhomboids or area where the scoliosis is will make a huge difference.

~Team APPNUT

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I don't know about lessening it, but you can definitely manage it and prevent it from causing too much 'inconvenience' in your life. I have a scoliosis in my cervical vertebrae, and one of my lecturers when I was doing my degree made the comment that my training - re muscle and strength gains - was what had stopped it causing me health and other issues. Building up and strengthening the muscle in your back, especially around the rhomboids or area where the scoliosis is will make a huge difference.

~Team APPNUT
Should I worry about it impairing my ability to lift heavy overhead? I want to get strong to where I can lift people up.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Should I worry about it impairing my ability to lift heavy overhead? I want to get strong to where I can lift people up.
If you've been resistance training for many years - ideally since you first knew about it, then no, it shouldn't affect your ability to lift overhead.

~Team APPNUT

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My girlfriend has scoliosis. She started lifting weights and dieted. She lost about 20lbs. At her yearly, her doc measured her and she was 1 inch taller. Dont know if the diet and exercise made this difference but she is happy. She has less pain in her back also. Squats hurt her back so we just do lifts that she can do, like machine lifts. I've seen other stories about people lifting weights to straighten their back. my $.02.