Can't use hand....how could I workout?

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
So I broke my hand 6 months ago, and had surgery 4 months ago. I had my thumb displaced, and part of the thumb joint broke. I had 3 external hands put into my hand to fix the issue. My hand works pretty good, put the pressure off the weight on the actual joint still hurts too much to lift. I looked into using hooks or versa grips, but it looks like the pressure would slide to the bottom palm part of the thumb joint. That is where I broke my thumb.

Besides doing like sit ups and push ups and some plyometrics anyone have any ideas?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Besides doing like sit ups and push ups and some plyometrics anyone have any ideas?
I wish you a speedy recovery man. Did they say you will regain use of your hand in the future?

So you can do push-ups but I imagine that loads heavier than body weight would be too much of a load on that hand?

I think that something you may want to look in to would be the smith machine. Sit-ups and push-ups are fine but despite the problem with your hand, it should still be possible to work your legs. If anything training such a large muscle group like your legs should help to limit the amount of strength that you lose from being able to do most upper body exercises.

You could also try light-weight bench press in the smith (safety,) or on a flat bench if you have a spot. Again, I'm not 100% sure on your ability with that hand. But at least you would be able to get at that muscle fiber in your chest to keep it from shrinking too much while you recover.

One more thing, would a 'hook grip' (primarily using just your 4 fingers to grip the bar,) doing deadlifts aggravate your hand? If not, you could continue to do the big 3 lifts, albeit modified in some cases, and still maintain most of your strength and size while allowing your hand to recover.

If nothing else, I think you could at least do squats in a smith or leg press to maintain most of your strength via legs.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
man, that really sucks. is the pain supposed to slowly fade? what about training real light witha circuit style routine? also, if you were to fold up a samll gym towel to provide some more cushion on the palm, would that help? ...it may just be one of those things you have to give time to heal. you certainly don't want to cause any more damage and set yourself back even further. focus on legs, calves, abs, whatever you can train while the hand heals...hope it comes around quickly...

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
yea it's not fun at all....lol The pain is wierd....like I tried doing db curls yesterday and I was fine, until I came about all the way up and the weight shifts a little to that area. I'm hoping that it's just bone pain that is still healing. The pain from this surgery was ridiculous, far worse then all the other ones I've had. I'm really hoping that I don't have to have another one. I was trying to just workout at my buddies, since he has everything I need to lift, besides like machines. Everything is free weights. I might have to suck it up and get another membership at the gym and see what happens.

Another ****ty fact is that I have a torn miniscus so doing leg lifts also don't work out too well lol. I'm just all ****ed up!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Another ****ty fact is that I have a torn miniscus so doing leg lifts also don't work out too well lol. I'm just all ****ed up!
Wow...now I'm all out of ideas. I'll let some of the educated exercise science folk step in now. Sorry man.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
Wow...now I'm all out of ideas. I'll let some of the educated exercise science folk step in now. Sorry man.
hey it's all good...appreciate the help. I've spent 6 months sitting inside doing nothing. I have absolutely lost my mind. I think the "hook grip" may work for some things, but all in all I might just get pissed off and rage out lol.