Can i workout my arms twice a week?

robe84

Awards
I know,i know if u workout yur chest n back u workout your arms too,but on my chest or back workout days i was thinkin of doin jus 5 or 6 sets for my small muscle group ( like mon. chest n light tri.,tues back n light bis n then on friday i do arms heavy) Im jus curious if im gona overtrain?

bigneum

Awards
alot of people say not to do it you get enough from your compound lifts, however my arms respond to having thier own day.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Training arm exercises on working days are perfectly fine, but for the most part barbell rowing, pullups, bench pressing, and some weighted dips are plenty enough stimulus for arm growth depended upon level of experience.

Most people far too often put entire focus on training and do not see arm growth in 2-3 months and immediately think they need more arm exercises when in reality they have not come to terms with the fact that calories spark growth. It's a general rule of thumb for every 15lbs you add an inch to your arms.

Putting attention on those big compound lifts adds 15lbs a lot quicker than preacher curls and skull crushers.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know,i know if u workout yur chest n back u workout your arms too,but on my chest or back workout days i was thinkin of doin jus 5 or 6 sets for my small muscle group ( like mon. chest n light tri.,tues back n light bis n then on friday i do arms heavy) Im jus curious if im gona overtrain?
Overtraining is relative to the individual. You''re right in that your arms are going to get worked on your Chest and Back days, but I see nothing wrong with training them on a separate day. What you do really depends on your GOALS and needs, though - if you want muscle mass in your arms, doing a few arms compounds (bicep curls, dips, etc.) will help; otherwise, if you're just training for fitness or health, then adding in arms is fine.

~Team APPNUT

dropshot001

Awards
it all depends on your personal recovery abilities and how much volume you are training them with

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Recovery has very little to do with it. "Recovery" is usually termed with the conditioning of the CNS (Central Nervous System) and isolated work to the arms has a very small affect on a persons CNS.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Try it if you feel like your overtraining then just drop it to once a week hopefully you can gauge your body well enough to decide if your overtraining or not. But in the end its what ever packs the muscle onto your body best switch it up every couple months or weeks.