Forearm pain??? To lift or not to lift?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.33%

Forearm pain??? To lift or not to lift?

Hey guys so I'm kind of new to this forum as well as the whole forums in general. I've search countlessly through out the web and can not really find anything that is exactly like my injury. So the pain that I have been getting is in the middle of my forearm on the pinky side. When I run my finger along the bone I can feel a bump, which is not visible unless I run my finger along the side of my forearm. Just this month I started getting pain along my arms and it got so bad that I could not lift properly. So last week I decided I would take one week off to see if it gets any better. So far I still get this pain in the middle of my forearm but not as bad as I had It one week ago. I will also mention to this day it hurts to throw or any jerking movement with my left arm (my injured arm) . I do plan on seeing a doctor soon but I was just wondering if anyone here has had anything similar to what I have had so that I know it's not severe. I desperately want to head back to the gym as I am beggining to feel weaker as the days go by. Does any one know of any workouts that would ease the pain off my forearm while still getting a good bicep/tricep workout. Many thanks for all your help

-Michael

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I don't know if ScottyDoc is on, but he might be able to give you some answers.

I'd say, lay off it, and get it checked out.

I'll throw a thread bump for ya.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.33%

Scottydoc?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.23%

I have had something like that. Usually curling with a straight bar would aggrivate it. It would feel like my forarm bone was breaking. Something like a shin splint in the lower arm. If what you have is similar, I suggest first ice the arm, drop intensity on curling or other lifts that aggrivate the injury. Also try a little message on the forarms to loosen up.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.33%

Yea I'm definitely gonna drop the weight on curling when I go back. Since I have gone a whole week without lifting I think I might go back this Monday I will try that out. Did it eventually go away for good for you? Or do you still get it?
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.23%

It went away. I have had it flare up a few times usually when I do too much curling especially straight bar stuff. It seems to cause a lot of stress on the long bones of my forarms if I lift too heavy too long. Mostly, I switched to more dumbell work, and limited use of straight bar to every other week on this seemed to help a lot. Also wave volume and intensity on the bis.
    example:
    week 1
    high volume moderate intensity
    12-20 sets of 12-15 reps
    Week 2
    Low volume high intensity
    10-14 sets 8-10
    Week 3
    High volume low intnsity
    9-12 sets 20+ reps
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.85%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Sorry it took me so long to respond, been snoozing on the job I guess. First off, it sounds to me like you have something that is putting pressure on your ulnar nerve. It runs along the medial aspect of your forearm down into your wrist/hand on the pinky side. Not 100% sure what to tell you about the palpable bump other than that might be what is putting pressure on the nerve. The other symptom hurting to throw something sounds kind of like tenosynovitis of the elbow which on the medial side (golfers elbow) can hurt when throwing something, which also can include but is not limited to the ulnar nerve.

Give me some more details and I'll do the best I can to tell you what tests you can perform to see if we can narrow a few things down, just so you know, without actually seeing you, performing tests personally and palpating the area personally I can't give you a precise diagnosis only help you to self diagnose.
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Possibility of a cyst on that arm?
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.33%

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was also beginning to think it was something along the lines with what you said (Scotty). I thought it might have been something pinching a nerve. I was going to go in to get it checked out, but it went away completely after about month - month and a 1/2. I just avoided touching it, which for some reason made the pain come back intense. I also avoided doing exercises that would aggravate the pain in my mid arm such as EZ Bar curls and Skull Crushers. This led me to believe that it is very possible that I might have strained something in my arm which caused the swelling which then resulted in one of the nerves/tendon in my arm to become pinched, hence the bump and the excruciating pain. Thanks again for all of your guys responses/replies my arm is much better now and the pain is completely gone. Although I can still kind of feel the bump but i hate touching it... I'm really paranoid about the pain coming back lol.

-MikeGun
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.85%

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegun View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I was also beginning to think it was something along the lines with what you said (Scotty). I thought it might have been something pinching a nerve. I was going to go in to get it checked out, but it went away completely after about month - month and a 1/2. I just avoided touching it, which for some reason made the pain come back intense. I also avoided doing exercises that would aggravate the pain in my mid arm such as EZ Bar curls and Skull Crushers. This led me to believe that it is very possible that I might have strained something in my arm which caused the swelling which then resulted in one of the nerves/tendon in my arm to become pinched, hence the bump and the excruciating pain. Thanks again for all of your guys responses/replies my arm is much better now and the pain is completely gone. Although I can still kind of feel the bump but i hate touching it... I'm really paranoid about the pain coming back lol.

-MikeGun
    Hey again, sorry for taking so damn long getting back to you, I don't know how I kept overlooking it. Can you describe that bump you are referring to? Is it hard, does it feel like bone, or is it a knot of some sort, possible scar tissue, or muscle adhesions? I mean, based on its location I'm not in anyway thinking it is cancer, but it can still be a bone growth or some other type of benign growth which if not removed, will continue to press on your ulnar nerve and give you future problems. Or it could be something very simple like scar tissue or muscle adhesion of some sort, either of those could be taken care of with a little painful, but necessary massage therapy (deeeep tissue). Anyway, when you get the chance, describe the bump to me with as much detail as possible, exact location, approximate size, depth, any and all details.

AL - ScottyDoc
    www.finaflex.com
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.33%

Cancerous? Thats a scary thought. So when I run my fingers along the side of my forearearm with my palm positioned down gripping my forearm from the top. So I press firmly along the underside of the bone and run my fingers across and thats how I feel the bump. The bump is only felt this way or when I would roll my forearm on a flat surface. Since the last post I felt it more closely and it has decreased in its size significantly, almost non-existent. When compared to my other arm (right) there is a difference, my right arm has a different feel; I cant really find the bump. I am left handed which could possibly account for the difference. The feel is like muscle? And I found that pulling my pinky finger and its adjacent finger back would relieve the pain some what. It got pretty bad to the point where picking up anything would feel uncomfortable. To me, from doing my own research online seems as if I had an inflamed periosteum. I found a gynamstics forum (google) where the OP had very similar pain/symptoms/duration and what not which said they had an inflamed periosteum.

-MikeGun
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.85%

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegun View Post
    Cancerous? Thats a scary thought.
    Nahh, Bro, I was saying chances are very, very slim it would be cancer based on it's location and description. I just wanted you to rest assure because when people start talking or thinking about a bump or mass, a lot of times the fear of cancer comes to mind, and I wanted to relieve you of that fear! It sounds like a muscle adhesion, fancy word for knot in the muscle. Sounds like it is pretty much on its way out, if it persists, I would recommend going to a good massage therapist and let them torture you for a while, I say that because typically it will hurt, but man when they are done, it is like a miracle cure!
    www.finaflex.com

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 10:18 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 10:58 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 01:24 PM
  4. Lift's AX HX2/MFX/R2 log
    By liftitbig85 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 05:06 PM
  5. CEX by LIFT