I'm thinking of switching to doing t-bar rows

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I have been doing barbell rows, I am slow to progress on them. I'm only at 100lbs.
I wonder if it is a problem with form or simply that I need to switch exercises for a bit. I do notice when the weight gets heavy I automatically curl my wrists inward . With the t-bar it seems that it would be easier to maintain proper form and it seems like a more enjoyable lift. Would it be good to switch for awhile, alternate, or just stick to doing bb rows?

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I have been doing barbell rows, I am slow to progress on them. I'm only at 100lbs.
I wonder if it is a problem with form or simply that I need to switch exercises for a bit. I do notice when the weight gets heavy I automatically curl my wrists inward . With the t-bar it seems that it would be easier to maintain proper form and it seems like a more enjoyable lift. Would it be good to switch for awhile, alternate, or just stick to doing bb rows?
I either alternate between the two or do both. However, I must keep in mind that after a full workout with either, my back will be taxed so I can't do 100% on the other. I like to hit my back from different angles, and I think switching it up in general helps in the long run. JMO

joedf

Awards
I ruptured a disk about ten years ago, so barbell rows are pretty much out for me. I alternate between t bar rows and dumbells. Works pretty good for me. I would do them for a few weeks and I bet you'll be stronger on the barbell rows when you try them again.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have you tried straps? They help.. I alternate..

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
100lbs on barbell rows? Might be time to try something else brah...

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
100lbs on barbell rows? Might be time to try something else brah...
Yeah I was never good at them, which leads me to believe I might have very bad form on them. Oh let me point out I have the bar so it's not touching the ground between reps. I do great with rear delt rows with the barbell, it's just hard when I move the bar toward my stomach instead of my chest.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
I personally do T-bar and DB rows. Haven't done BB rows for awhile simply because I didn't like them very much. I plan on trading probably DBs for BB rows randomly in the future, but I love me some DB rows and T-bar :)

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I think I hit 275 on rows (maybe less....), after 450 for sets on deads ( I was on m-drol bridged to p-plex) and I believe that wrecked me, LOL. I just started BB rows, too, so I'm sure my form wasn't right. O well, I can still lift and walk, so all must be good!!

Anyways, now I just do as heavy as I can DB rows, weaker side first. I like being able to support myself, and it makes me hate back day that much less. I don't have access to a heavy enough stack to do cable rows.

I blame my old work boots, old mattress, and worn out truck seat, but I'm sure I'm my own cause of back pain I've had since about that same time of BB rowing.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
probably a form issue. make sure to get a medium stance and arch your back and pull the bar in a straight line to your abs. Also alternate every other week with dumbell rows so you dont stagnate on the lift.

bigneum

Awards
i do both tbar and barbell rows as well have been having elbow issues recently so been using straps

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Alright I was doing rows wrong the whole time. A trainer showed me how to use the t-bar with good form. I wasn't arching my back enough on row before, which is probably why I've had a sore lower back. After the t-bar rows I was able to hit the deadlift alittle harder and I didn't get a bad headach like I've been getting the past few weeks deadlifting.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
BB rows rock! Learn the proper form. The only guys doing them in my gym are the big guys... So it prides me to throw on some heavy weight and pound them out while all the pussies use machines/cables

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
BB rows rock! Learn the proper form. The only guys doing them in my gym are the big guys... So it prides me to throw on some heavy weight and pound them out while all the pussies use machines/cables
Hell yeah! I'd rep you but it says I have given too much rep today!:ponder:

Texan281

Awards
You should give them a try. Ive just started doing them and theyre already my new fave back exercise.