Pick the next motivation contest

Which pull exercise should we choose for Sept/Oct motivational challenge?

• DB Rows

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • T-Bar Rows

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Rack Chins

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am putting this poll up to help us select which of these 3 exercises we would like to use for a contest / bragging rights thread. No real prize other than improvements and bragging rights. But the comraderie and support in the last one really helped a lot of us make some strides in the chosen lift.

This next month we are going to do pulling movements. Pick from these 3 exercises and remember that ROM on all should be such that your elbow must break the plane of the back for a rep to count.

Bent over DB Rows, Rack Chins, T-Bar rows.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
great poll my brother!!!! Love these!

MATTYO1977

Awards
  • Established
I'm in for DB Rows. A purely selfish vote.
A close second is T-bag, I mean T-Bar. Kinda homo.

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
TBar gets my vote

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I hope gamer doesn't want to play if it's T-bars, i know pound for pound he can probably beat me haha.

stupid test-e.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
I don't think he showed up at all in the last contest... we're always up for new faces though :D

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When this one starts I will put a spot in the second post like this last one but will update it regularly by copying and pasting the Screen name body weight and weight/reps lifted. That way it is easy to keep track of it. I didn't keep track on the last one like I should have. I also don't think one of my gyms has a TBar row so if picked I will probably have to jam a barbell in a corner and do them there.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
I am putting this poll up to help us select which of these 3 exercises we would like to use for a contest / bragging rights thread. No real prize other than improvements and bragging rights. But the comraderie and support in the last one really helped a lot of us make some strides in the chosen lift.

This next month we are going to do pulling movements. Pick from these 3 exercises and remember that ROM on all should be such that your elbow must break the plane of the back for a rep to count.

Bent over DB Rows, Rack Chins, T-Bar rows.
Love me dumb bell rows

Im all over this my back my and chest is where its at :) WTF are rack chins ? Ok googled them, nahhhh

One arm Tbar rows :) ill load that fugger up

How many reps? i like 6-8 lets get heavy and nasty

These are a staple in my back routine, i want to recast my vote :)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I voted DB i wanna change to T Bar
I have no idea how to change it. Your STUCK. LOL

I think the reasoning some people liked the db rows more was that it tends to limit body English by posting your arm on the bench, giving a little more consistent form across everyone.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
I have no idea how to change it. Your STUCK. LOL

I think the reasoning some people liked the db rows more was that it tends to limit body English by posting your arm on the bench, giving a little more consistent form across everyone.
thats why i like the one arm T Bar u rest other arm in your knee

Not only hits ur lats but also the entire lower back :) YUM

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Voted DB Rows because they are part of my Warrior Workouts at the moment!

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
I remember us talking about one-arm T bars in the other thread, but I thought this was talking about two? If it's one then I guess it's win-win no matter which wins :D (DB rows/T bar)

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
When this one starts I will put a spot in the second post like this last one but will update it regularly by copying and pasting the Screen name body weight and weight/reps lifted. That way it is easy to keep track of it. I didn't keep track on the last one like I should have. I also don't think one of my gyms has a TBar row so if picked I will probably have to jam a barbell in a corner and do them there.
Heh which is exactly why I picked DB row !

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
T-Bar. Working on these myself. STAYING with this contest. Kleen. Ill get that pick up on sept.!st of this big ol' dude in womens underwear.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
100% correct. And my vote is cast for the 1 Arm DB Rows. Love those suckahs!!!:werd::afro:

I personally feel that it's harder to cheat on 1 arm db rows as opposed to T-Bar Rows.
Like Ronnie Coleman........

I like Ronnie, but this form is just pure crud.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what aboutthe tbar row supported. At my gym they have a bar with a straight piece then 2 handles to do them either way. I like them, no effen around there!!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
TG and Kleen make good points about the Body British of the T-bars. The Body British on T-bars when going astronomically heavy depends heavily on your quads, glutes and lower back, especially the lower back. The stronger your lower back, the more force you can produce on an upward sway Body British (quads also help create upward momentum, keep you from collapsing, to maintain the knee bend and the glutes are least taxed (mostly because they're so inherently strong), but also assist with the body British) so we have two arguments here.

Db Rows = more isolated lat/mid back strength; though some lower back body British can still be exerted. The only "PERFECT" One arm Db row form I've EVER seen are from women who only pull 15-20lbs and the body remains 100% still. I hardly see men pulling truly heavy weight without some form of body jerking to some minute extent, so I'd give the one arm Db rows a 3-5% Body British margin.

T-Rows = Could be seen as more of an overall strength exercise, liken to the dead lift, but to a much lesser extent, due to the many muscle groups involved to "successfully" execute Body British. I'd give T-Bars a 25-35% Body British Margin. You can practically T-row with your quads if you generate enough upward momentum. So, although you can cheat the hell out of the T-bars, technically, you need to be strong enough to effectively cheat. You can't cheat T-bars like you can BB curls, you can't create THAT much momentum and hyper-extend your torso parallel to the ground (like freaking Arnold).

So, due to the Body British brought up by TG and Kleen, I'm a bit conflicted about my original vote [t-bars], but I could logistically justify either one, body British and all.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
TG and Kleen make good points about the Body British of the T-bars. The Body British on T-bars when going astronomically heavy depends heavily on your quads, glutes and lower back, especially the lower back. The stronger your lower back, the more force you can produce on an upward sway Body British (quads also help create upward momentum, keep you from collapsing, to maintain the knee bend and the glutes are least taxed (mostly because they're so inherently strong), but also assist with the body British) so we have two arguments here.

Db Rows = more isolated lat/mid back strength; though some lower back body British can still be exerted. The only "PERFECT" One arm Db row form I've EVER seen are from women who only pull 15-20lbs and the body remains 100% still. I hardly see men pulling truly heavy weight without some form of body jerking to some minute extent, so I'd give the one arm Db rows a 3-5% Body British margin.

T-Rows = Could be seen as more of an overall strength exercise, liken to the dead lift, but to a much lesser extent, due to the many muscle groups involved to "successfully" execute Body British. I'd give T-Bars a 25-35% Body British Margin. You can practically T-row with your quads if you generate enough upward momentum. So, although you can cheat the hell out of the T-bars, technically, you need to be strong enough to effectively cheat. You can't cheat T-bars like you can BB curls, you can't create THAT much momentum and hyper-extend your torso parallel to the ground (like freaking Arnold).

So, due to the Body British brought up by TG and Kleen, I'm a bit conflicted about my original vote [t-bars], but I could logistically justify either one, body British and all.
T Bars. For the reason u say mate, engages entire back. The strain on lower back as u lower that bar :) Yyyy FTFW

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Just to keep things equal it should probably be DB's. Everybody has DB's. Not all t-bars are created equal.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Is your avi Sylar from Heroes?
Yes Sir! I love that show...unfortunately the show has been canceled. There was talk about NBC doing a 2 hour special so the writers can tie up all the loose ends from last season. *fingers crossed*

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love me some t-bar rows or the close grib rows like Ronnie is doing in the video TG posted. I suck with DBs so I am not super excited about that BUT it would be a good chance for me to get better at them.
1) T-bar rows
2) DB Rows

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DBs at my gym only go to 110
See......that's the problem a lot of guys are gonna have with the DB Rows. A lot of gyms don't have the big manly DB's. :grumpy:

I can make my DB's go over 200 lbs. each, so I have no problem with this choice.

And that was a funny comment about not all T-Bars being equal. What does that mean??!! :think: :chairfall:

I don't think there would be that much variance with the weight of the T-Bar apparatus itself. To keep it even remotely close to fair, we should just count the weight of the plates on the apparatus. :bigok:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Db's in my gym only go 120, but I've suggested what I do to get around that, which is Smith Barbell, One Arm Rows. You kneel your elbow over your knee with one arm and pull with the other.

Opening set 135, closing 225.

Last edited:
MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
my gym has 200lb db's...overheard we are getting 250 lbers in. this big marine guy works out there and like everyworker is on his nuts. like he is god or something.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
my gym has 200lb db's...overheard we are getting 250 lbers in. this big marine guy works out there and like everyworker is on his nuts. like he is god or something.
I'm repping you on behalf of your gyms awesome Db selection scale.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I voted T Bars... I know pound for pound a lot of you guys can outlift me, no biggie. It'll be fun to watch those numbers fly

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Db's in my gym only go 120, but I've suggested what I do to get around that, which is Smith Barbell, One Arm Rows. You kneel your elbow over your knee with one arm and pull with the other.

See, this is what I'm talking about. I know you're strong as all get-out Volcom, but do you think you could do the same reps @225 with a DB?
I'm fairly sure that most of us have more access to DB's than a Smith-Machine. I wish I did have one though.:ponder:

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

DAYUUM!!!!! Thats beast bro!!!

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
See, this is what I'm talking about. I know you're strong as all get-out Volcom, but do you think you could do the same reps @225 with a DB?
I'm fairly sure that most of us have more access to DB's than a Smith-Machine. I wish I did have one though.:ponder:
My gym has a 2 smiths. straight and slanted. I sometimes squat on the smith, or do some heavy ass shrugs. Now I wanna try one armed rows on it haha

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
whats the rep range here ?

Stuck at Planet Fitness for a week and no bar :(

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Nice I like that. I have to admit I am uber strict on my form with rows which honestly keeps my weights down a bit. The T-Bar I have is supported which really takes the Body British as you said out of it if you keep your chest on the pad. If I add in a tiny bit of body english on these it is a huge jump in weight. I will HAVE to do close grip on TBars with my shoulder being a little tweaked.
That is beast mode!
whats the rep range here ?

Stuck at Planet Fitness for a week and no bar :(
This one won't start until the 1st so you will be back at home then. Mr 585 DL the other day Fugging Beast!

Hmmm a rep range, how about 8 reps good for both strength and mass. I don't want to be responsible for people going way to heavy messing up form and hurting themselves especially while Tbars are in the lead. Some guys may not be familiar with this move or capable of handling that weight.

MrBig, How about we reserve Dead Lifts for the Winter. While we are all beast mode and in a bulk. That and my shoulder may be able to handle max weight by then I hope. I really want to be able to be involved in that one. I have a great desire to improve that lift. Since I changed over to power lifting style my weight started increasing but I haven't been able to do them with my shoulder and elbow screwed up recently.