Running advice

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.44%

Running advice

I am trying to get back into running after a LONG break. I hate to run but it seems to work best for fat loss for me. A few running questions for this non runner:

I am 5 6" with short 28 inch inseam. I have been running in te past at 6.5 on the treadmill, but can only hold 6-6.2 for any length of time now. Are these far from what I should be shooting for?
    Also, my shin splints have returned wwith a vengance. They are painful, as is the front of the leg muscluature.

And advice for me> My main goal is building muscle, but I really need to drop some fat, I do rotate from recumbant, elliptical, and track so as to not make my shin splints too bad.

Thanks for pointers.

2. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh3c View Post
    I am trying to get back into running after a LONG break. I hate to run but it seems to work best for fat loss for me. A few running questions for this non runner:

I am 5 6" with short 28 inch inseam. I have been running in te past at 6.5 on the treadmill, but can only hold 6-6.2 for any length of time now. Are these far from what I should be shooting for?
    Also, my shin splints have returned wwith a vengance. They are painful, as is the front of the leg muscluature.

And advice for me
    > My main goal is building muscle, but I really need to drop some fat, I do rotate from recumbant, elliptical, and track so as to not make my shin splints too bad.

Thanks for pointers.
    1. If you're going to run, run outside - forget the treadmill; it's completely different to running outdoors or crosscountry or anything.

2. As far as the pace you're running at, don't compare yourself to anyone else. No one can tell you whether or not they're "good" paces - you should know from your past running history.

3. "Shin splints" is actually an UMBRELLA term used by those who don't know any better to cover ALL and ANY injury to the LOWER LEG. I recommend actually finding out WHAT the injury is, or whether you're just feeling the impact from running again, and do something about it.

4. Running is a very catabolic exercise - almost one of the most, if not the most, catabolic activities that you can do. Therefore, if you're trying to lose fat but gain muscle, then running may not be the best option for you.

5. Recomping (i.e. losing fat, but building muscle) is VERY difficult to do, and NUTRITION MANIPULATION is the KEY factor in it. My recommendation to you would be to forget running and concentrate on your NUTRITION - calorie/carbohydrate cycle (do some personal research on it) - and make sure your RESISTANCE training is set up for muscle gain, and if you're going to do cardio, make sure it's short and intense HIIT 2-3 times a week, using modes of exercise that do NOT stress your lower legs.

~Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.08%

Take a few days off running and gradually start back. You can find a good peaking program in runners world.

Rotating is good for diet. But focus should be on your diet.

And if you can run at that pace, I am assuming you are not close to being overweight. Focus on some heavy lifts and your diet, and then do some cardio.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.23%

Above all, make sure you have some quality running shoes. Bad or wrong shoes can cause shin splints. Best thing to do is find a store that specializes in that department. They will check you feet and fit you in the proper shoe. I go to a store called Tri-running.

Secondly, increasing you speed, stride, and distance of your run too quickly can cause shin splints. Start slowly and increase 5% a week.

After you run, if your shins hurt, sit in a tub of cold water for about 20 minutes. As for right now though, take 2 weeks off from running and let your shins heal.

Similar Forum Threads

1. ADVICE ON RUNNING THREE PH CYCLES IN A ROW
    By kevomick5 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-22-2011, 02:15 PM
  2. First time running DS products. Running ActX/LeanX. Dosing?
    By XJDesertFox in forum Driven Sports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
  3. Need Advice: Running Routine for a Bodybuilder (Long)
    By methusaleh in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 10:53 AM
  4. Running 4ad with SD
    By DuiLee in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 05:55 PM