Need a Tough Mudder routine

LaXBro

Awards
I have made the decision about 2 months ago to turn my life around from partying to a more important goal. I'm current a college student, 19, and I have decided to do the PA Tough Mudder on my birthday, April 10th, next year (2011). The problem is I have gotten a bit out of shape, like a lot. The Tough Mudder would be a lot of motivation if I could complete it, so that's my goal right now.

Currently I'm at the following stats(At least I'm being honest):
Height: 6'0"
Weight: ~150.
BF%: ~13% est., slight abs is what I'm basing that off of.
Max Pullups: 14
Max Bench Press (10RM): 155lbs
Max Bench (1RM): 195lbs
*Max Squat (10RM): 155lbs
Max Squat (1RM): ?
Mile Average: 7mins. (Although I can no longer run far at all)
Max Distance Run: 1.5 miles

*I do controlled down, explode up, don't stop at top, usually don't lockout, saw it in a Ronnie Coleman video he said it worked better for him, harder, and I feel it better but not sure if it's good or not.

Not sure what other stats would help. Food wise I'm going for max calories and all macro-nutrients. Food isn't an issue, I have a lot of whatever i need, all good foods. Supplements include:

BCAA
Fish Oil
Flaxseed Oil
Whey Protein
Creatine
Glycergrow (Found a full tub in my closet haha)
Multi-Vitamin (nothing special)
USP Labs Jack3d

I need something that is going to give me explosiveness, speed, endurance and strength. The Tough Mudder is pretty popular, and I'm sure on a site like this you guys are probably familiar with it. I'm going to start a log once I gather all of the info I need to begin my training.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have made the decision about 2 months ago to turn my life around from partying to a more important goal. I'm current a college student, 19, and I have decided to do the PA Tough Mudder on my birthday, April 10th, next year (2011). The problem is I have gotten a bit out of shape, like a lot. The Tough Mudder would be a lot of motivation if I could complete it, so that's my goal right now.

Currently I'm at the following stats(At least I'm being honest):
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 160lbs.
BF%: ~13% est., slight abs is what I'm basing that off of.
Max Pullups: 14
Max Bench Press (10RM): 155lbs
Max Bench (1RM): 195lbs
*Max Squat (10RM): 155lbs
Max Squat (1RM): ?
Mile Average: 7mins. (Although I can no longer run far at all)
Max Distance Run: 1.5 miles

*I do controlled down, explode up, don't stop at top, usually don't lockout, saw it in a Ronnie Coleman video he said it worked better for him, harder, and I feel it better but not sure if it's good or not.

Not sure what other stats would help. Food wise I'm going for max calories and all macro-nutrients. Food isn't an issue, I have a lot of whatever i need, all good foods. Supplements include:

BCAA
Fish Oil
Flaxseed Oil
Whey Protein
Creatine
Glycergrow (Found a full tub in my closet haha)
Multi-Vitamin (nothing special)
USP Labs Jack3d

I need something that is going to give me explosiveness, speed, endurance and strength. The Tough Mudder is pretty popular, and I'm sure on a site like this you guys are probably familiar with it. I'm going to start a log once I gather all of the info I need to begin my training.
Good luck and stay motivated. I'm not an expert by any means, but you'd be best served to follow a sports conditioning program, which is quite different than the typical bodybuilding format. HIIT training coupled with high rep resistance training (bands as an example) that utilize fast twitch muscle fibers, help in terms of enhancing explosiveness, speed and output. I incorporate all of these methods into my training, if you look at how a boxer trains, or any athlete you'd see that they train not only for power, but for raw explosiveness, a good start...legs...legs...legs and core training.

LaXBro

Awards
Just an update. Ive been eating around 4-5k calories consistently now. A bit dirty at times, but mostly chicken, Italian foods and stuff. My cheat meals were 2 visits to taco bell for 1,500 calories each visit.

Ive been mixing it up every day workout wise.

Lots of squats and dead-lifts, lots of back and biceps. Ive been doing weighted push-ups, dips and others too. Cardio has been low intensity for the most part, as my friend and I both realized how bad our cardio is. Hill sprints once a week and every other day I jog/run/or bike ride.

Starting weight: ~148
Current weight: 155

Going to benchmark myself soon

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I just did the Rugged Maniac in Mass a week ago. Similar race, but this one looks even more banshee.

You're going to need a good conditioning program, like southpaw said.

Work your way up in intensity and volume, but when you reach a decent level of fitness (such as being able to run 3 miles at a 7 mi mile) and being able to squat body weight for 3-4 reps, you'll need a good conditioning program.

I'd suggest (when the time comes) 2 days a week of weights, 1 day of impact HIIT (such as shuttle running), 1 day of low impact HIIT training (intervals on a bike or elyptical), 1 aerobic interval days (such as 3 or 4 1200's at a 7min mile pace with equal work to rest ratios), and 1 long slow distance run (such as a light 4 mile jog).

Put it together:

day 1: Weights and long slow run
day 2: low impact HIIT
day 3: aerobic intervals
day 4: rest
day 5: weights
day 6: high impact HIIT
day 7: rest

Br