Leg workout I need help!

chobbs4

chobbs4

Awards
I have tried just about every leg workout there is. Ive tried low weight with high reps and high weight with low reps. It seems that my legs still will not grow. I have what you may call the classic "chicken legs" is there a good mass gaining leg routine that anybody would like to share with me?

Thanks, Chobbs

mymilkexpired

Awards
Hows about you post some of the routines you've actually done. Much more helpful. Lets hear about your diet as well.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have tried just about every leg workout there is. Ive tried low weight with high reps and high weight with low reps. It seems that my legs still will not grow. I have what you may call the classic "chicken legs" is there a good mass gaining leg routine that anybody would like to share with me?

Thanks, Chobbs
Training is not the most important factor in growth - NUTRITION is, and if you're not eating enough, then you won't grow, period, so make sure that your nutrition is adequate for muscle gains.

As far as training is concerned, stick to variations of squats for muscle growth. Lift heavy. Check out the 10x3 (Derek Charlebois) or 5x5 programmes (Bill Starr) for other ideas if you haven't already re training.

Review these Gaining Muscle articles as well re information on nutrition and training for muscle accretion.

~Team APPNUT

chobbs4

chobbs4

Awards
One of my workouts was

Squats- 6 sets 6-8reps
Leg Extensions 4 sets 6-8reps
Leg Press 4 sets 8-12reps
Dead Lifts 4 sets 6-8reps
Sitting Calf Raises 3 sets 10 reps
Standing Calf Raises 3 sets 10 reps

My diet is actually pretty good. I take In around 3200 calories a day. With about 180g of Protein. My body weight is 155lb. My legs are getting alot stonger but it seems that it is very hard for me to put on any mass

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
IMO that is way to much volume, especially for a hardgainer. If you want a prewritten program Rosies suggestions are spot on or you could also try Wenders 5/3/1 with Boring But Big template.

The main thing here is to make sure you are progressively getting stronger each time you step in the gym. Don't get caught up in the "more is better" mantra. Drop the machines and stick with barbells, dumbbells and kettlebells if you really want to build size/strength.

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
One of my workouts was

Squats- 6 sets 6-8reps
My diet is actually pretty good. I take In around 3200 calories a day. With about 180g of Protein. My body weight is 155lb. My legs are getting alot stonger but it seems that it is very
hard for me to put on any mass
that's alot of calories for your weight.. u should be growing and weigh more. I think you legs could be genetics.. just like me my legs are skinny but strong.. I can legg press over 400..
as long as my legs are getting stronger, I'm happy..

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
One of my workouts was

Squats- 6 sets 6-8reps

My diet is actually pretty good. I take In around 3200 calories a day. With about 180g of Protein. My body weight is 155lb. My legs are getting alot stonger but it seems that it is very hard for me to put on any mass
already said but too much volume, plus squats and deads same day is too much. seperate those. research a simple push/pull/leg split and adjust your volume.
are you sure about 3200 cals? track for sure at fitday.com. up the protein, too.

jerseyboy101

Awards
What i did a couple months ago when i hit kinda a plateau was switch from squats to lunges and superset them with leg extensions as the main excersice for the day then do all the accesories like calves curls etc it worked well and when i went back to squats i broke through.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
A couple months ago i read an article in musclemag about higher reps for legs for growth. It was talking about keeping your sets in the 20 rep range. I have always had good luck getting stronger with my normal sets of 6-12 reps, but my legs never really got any thicker. Over the past couple months, i jacked up most of my sets to 12-20 reps, and my legs are starting to get thicker.

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A couple months ago i read an article in musclemag about higher reps for legs for growth. It was talking about keeping your sets in the 20 rep range. I have always had good luck getting stronger with my normal sets of 6-12 reps, but my legs never really got any thicker. Over the past couple months, i jacked up most of my sets to 12-20 reps, and my legs are starting to get thicker.
how sets we talking about?

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
How many can you handle? lol

Honestly, for me, it depends on what kind of intensity you put into it. A couple warm up sets and 4-5 working sets should be sufficient. I use these reps for everything though, Leg extensions and curls even.

Another thing i've started is Weighted Walking Lunges, which i've heard are great for size too. I know one thing, it's great for a sore ass the next day.

Just this week i've started a new routine that has a focus on drop sets. Because of the total number of reps in a drop set i think i am going to find effective as well.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
already said but too much volume, plus squats and deads same day is too much. seperate those. research a simple push/pull/leg split and adjust your volume.
are you sure about 3200 cals? track for sure at fitday.com. up the protein, too.
perfect!

when you do so much volume youre fatiguing the muscle, yes, but too much. you are probably also burning more calories since the legs are already a large muscle group..

From looking at the workout, I would have to say that it was maybe a 60% effort of what you could actually do if you lowered the volume. Eat more. Im sorry but IMO there's no such thing as a hard gainer. there's either eating right for you, or not eating right for you.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
perfect!

when you do so much volume youre fatiguing the muscle, yes, but too much. you are probably also burning more calories since the legs are already a large muscle group..

From looking at the workout, I would have to say that it was maybe a 60% effort of what you could actually do if you lowered the volume. Eat more. Im sorry but IMO there's no such thing as a hard gainer. there's either eating right for you, or not eating right for you.
There might not be a hard gainer, but my maintenece is easily over 3.5k calories :rasp:

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
There might not be a hard gainer, but my maintenece is easily over 3.5k calories :rasp:
And that's fine.. No one ever said dieting is easy. If you overdo it, you gain fat. If you cut yourself short, well, you cut. It's simple- but not always easy if you know what i mean.

And yeah lately ive been thinking about hitting some real low volume, high intensity high rep workouts just to see how it goes. i mean like 10-12 sets tops, rep ranges 10-18 or so.. higher then what im used to, but hell, im down to experiment and see what makes my wheels grow. i know i eat right my metabolism isnt fast enough to keep up with my appetite

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Try rest pause sets. I attempt to keep my leg workouts to 3-5 quad exercises with 1-2 sets per exercise keeping under 8 reps. I also like walking BB lunges to finish off the quads at the end of a workout where you stop after each step and do 5 reps before taking the next step with the other leg. Do that for a few weeks and tell me you can't grow. :)

BEAST

chobbs4

chobbs4

Awards
Im pretty sure that it is in my genes to have chicken legs. I am also getting stronger it just seems that I havent gained any mass.

Thank you all for you help
-chobbs