Throwing up on leg day...

  1. Advanced Member
    ShadowFury's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    412
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

    Throwing up on leg day...


    Alright, so I have been lifting a little over a year and I haven't thrown up yet(I get so close on every single leg day, but not quite yet). Today I have been sitting here for an hour and the feeling is starting to go away. The woozy stomach, light head, etc... the basic signs of puking.

    I don't plan on dropping the intensity any time soon, so what do you guys do to prevent upchucking? I have never had to sit for a whole freaking hour, drinking water, not able to move because I feel I'm going to puke if I do so much as get up(I actually had to to grab more water and a Cliff bar...which I still can't eat because it makes the stomach worse just smelling it).


    Could it have anything to do with when I eat before legs? I ate about an hour and 15-30 mins before the WO today.

    And yes, I know puking after your workout is more hardcore and crap, but lets get serious.

  2. Senior Member
    lyfespan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,124
    Rep Power
    791
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    92.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    Alright, so I have been lifting a little over a year and I haven't thrown up yet(I get so close on every single leg day, but not quite yet). Today I have been sitting here for an hour and the feeling is starting to go away. The woozy stomach, light head, etc... the basic signs of puking.

    I don't plan on dropping the intensity any time soon, so what do you guys do to prevent upchucking? I have never had to sit for a whole freaking hour, drinking water, not able to move because I feel I'm going to puke if I do so much as get up(I actually had to to grab more water and a Cliff bar...which I still can't eat because it makes the stomach worse just smelling it).


    Could it have anything to do with when I eat before legs? I ate about an hour and 15-30 mins before the WO today.

    And yes, I know puking after your workout is more hardcore and crap, but lets get serious.
    lol, i just did this on monday, i did legs in the morning, went had chipotle and puked it up in the parking lot, symptoms were dizzyness, cold sweats, hot flashes, and watery mouth. I did drink down a ABB quick recovery right before eating, so what gives. Its one of two things, either hypo or hyper glycemic.
  3. Senior Member
    Killerkanadia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,861
    Rep Power
    9479
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.71%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Has happened to me more than once, throwing up after i get out of the gym. Usually just because my stomach is unsettled from food/preworkout/postworkout mixed with high intensity training.

    Anyways, i think Universial/Animal makes shirts with the slogan "squat til you puke"
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    urbanski's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,195
    Rep Power
    1510
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    5.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    yeah i'd vote you went hypo and had no glycogen left to generate glucose so it took forever. i'd ensure you carb up pre and have a good post-wo shake immediately after.
  5. Advanced Member
    ShadowFury's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    412
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

    Bleh, alrighty ladies. Thanks for the input/info.

    I had 2 pieces of wheat bread and chicken strips(grilled strips > grilled breast). I guess I'll be eating Raman or something to maybe help out next time. I couldn't even drink my shake today because I figured the milk would screw me up even more. Ah well, was a great leg day.
  6. Senior Member
    Killerkanadia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,861
    Rep Power
    9479
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.71%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    ladies.




  7. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    In my experience, nausea during training has two sources:

    1. nutritional/supplemental - I.e. you stimmed yourself out or your pre-workout meal was somehow off.

    2. Sub-par anaerobic conditioning - There's a reason most guys hate leg day. Squats, DLs, Leg Press, etc. are big hard movements, with large demands on the cns and circulatory system. If you're under-conditioned, it isn't hard to nauseate yourself with a heavy set.

    A couple months of supersetting breathing squats with db pullovers, and db swinging twice a week too, should take care of that for yah.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  8. Advanced Member
    TheLastRonin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    959
    Rep Power
    594
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    9.54%

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    In my experience, nausea during training has two sources:

    1. nutritional/supplemental - I.e. you stimmed yourself out or your pre-workout meal was somehow off.

    2. Sub-par anaerobic conditioning - There's a reason most guys hate leg day. Squats, DLs, Leg Press, etc. are big hard movements, with large demands on the cns and circulatory system. If you're under-conditioned, it isn't hard to nauseate yourself with a heavy set.

    A couple months of supersetting breathing squats with db pullovers, and db swinging twice a week too, should take care of that for yah.
    I agree with 99% of it. Widowmaker sets...are a gamble for me every time though lol.
  9. New Member
    elgenyo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    270
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    10.32%

    My nausea stopped when I started carbing up pre workout.
  10. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    I agree with 99% of it. Widowmaker sets...are a gamble for me every time though lol.
    That's why you do them! Nothing builds anaerobic capacity like high-rep, heavy full-body lifts!

    Now imagine supersetting a widowmaker with something else and you get an idea of what I'm talking about when I mention conditioning.

    I have been able to do that in the past, but I've been focusing on lower rep squats for a bit, so I'd be a bit out of condition for that right now.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  11. Advanced Member
    TheLastRonin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    959
    Rep Power
    594
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    9.54%

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    That's why you do them! Nothing builds anaerobic capacity like high-rep, heavy full-body lifts!

    Now imagine supersetting a widowmaker with something else and you get an idea of what I'm talking about when I mention conditioning.

    I have been able to do that in the past, but I've been focusing on lower rep squats for a bit, so I'd be a bit out of condition for that right now.
    Yea...I am not sure I could super set at all on a set of WM's....The 20th rep...is the final one lol...unless twitching is considered a set
  12. Elite Member
    SilentBob187's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7,851
    Rep Power
    11116
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    25.8%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Two words OP: Puke & Rally
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  13. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    Two words OP: Puke & Rally
    When I'm sick and I puke, what's always going through my head is "Dammit, how many calories am I losing?!" Also, typically "Thank GOD the bathroom floor is nice and cool"
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  14. Elite Member
    SilentBob187's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7,851
    Rep Power
    11116
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    25.8%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    When I'm sick and I puke, what's always going through my head is "Dammit, how many calories am I losing?!" Also, typically "Thank GOD the bathroom floor is nice and cool"
    I was thinking the EXACT same thing last time I puked. ahhahahaha

    I always feel 100x better after I do the deed though. Just get it over with and get back to work...while downing a shake or something for the lost calories of course.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  15. Advanced Member
    ShadowFury's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    412
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

    Ya, I was actually tempted to after 10 mins of it not going away... I think next time I will just do it. I wasted 50 minutes of my life sitting in a chair watching judge shows. I'll never get that time back.
  16. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    Alright, so I have been lifting a little over a year and I haven't thrown up yet(I get so close on every single leg day, but not quite yet). Today I have been sitting here for an hour and the feeling is starting to go away. The woozy stomach, light head, etc... the basic signs of puking.

    I don't plan on dropping the intensity any time soon, so what do you guys do to prevent upchucking? I have never had to sit for a whole freaking hour, drinking water, not able to move because I feel I'm going to puke if I do so much as get up(I actually had to to grab more water and a Cliff bar...which I still can't eat because it makes the stomach worse just smelling it).


    Could it have anything to do with when I eat before legs? I ate about an hour and 15-30 mins before the WO today.

    And yes, I know puking after your workout is more hardcore and crap, but lets get serious.

    If you feel like your about to puke, calm down for a few secs, take some deep breaths.. Force yourself to burp out some air in your stomach..
  17. Advanced Member
    ShadowFury's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    412
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    If you feel like your about to puke, calm down for a few secs, take some deep breaths.. Force yourself to burp out some air in your stomach..
    I actually did try. It didn't help at all. I was taking deep breaths, then when that didn't work I was thinking hydration, so I drank a lot of water... didn't help. Tried to eat and the smell made everything get worse(Cliff bar). I was inside for the full time(I'm 5 mins from the YMCA), temp is on 73 I believe. Would lying down have helped more than sitting?
  18. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    I actually did try. It didn't help at all. I was taking deep breaths, then when that didn't work I was thinking hydration, so I drank a lot of water... didn't help. Tried to eat and the smell made everything get worse(Cliff bar). I was inside for the full time(I'm 5 mins from the YMCA), temp is on 73 I believe. Would lying down have helped more than sitting?
    BURP!!

    Eating and drinking is a no no lol
  19. Advanced Member
    ShadowFury's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    412
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

    Ah screw it, I'm just gonna puke at the locker room at the Y. Maybe I can piss off one of the thirty naked 59 year olds that walk around bumping into each other as they walk by.
  20. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFury View Post
    Ah screw it, I'm just gonna puke at the locker room at the Y. Maybe I can piss off one of the thirty naked 59 year olds that walk around bumping into each other as they walk by.
    lol, you'll feel better at least... Puke!! Just remember, if you do puke, you wont stop until your empty ...

    After the 400m sprint I did a couple years back, I wallked off the track, said I was good and puked once.. Then twice, three times, then 4 times
  21. Advanced Member
    ShadowFury's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    412
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    lol, you'll feel better at least... Puke!! Just remember, if you do puke, you wont stop until your empty ...

    After the 400m sprint I did a couple years back, I wallked off the track, said I was good and puked once.. Then twice, three times, then 4 times

    Haha, nice. You didn't feel the wooziness before it all came up?


    Last time I puked I had pneumonia and was told I would have died if I hadn't gone to a second doc O_o He said I woulda been toast in 2-3 days, lol. I puked atleast 60 times over the whole thing(about two weeks from start to finish) :/ I lost 20 lbs from eating nothing for so long(gatorade and bread at times). I was about a week from finishing my Hdrol.

    So, puking scares me kinda. Guess I'll man up next time
  22. New Member
    GSMachinist's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    109
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    34.48%

    Wtf lol
  23. Advanced Member
    ShadowFury's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    412
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    16.75%

    What the hell. Today was chest/tries, and all I did was 4 working sets of flat DB presses and 3 working sets of incline flys and I starting feeling horrible again. It wasn't as bad as yesterday by any means but I left before it could get worse.

    Maybe I'm coming down with something? I've been going to sleep around 1 something, waking up around 9:30(till the semester starts atleast), then hitting the gym around 11:40(I eat right when I wakeup, leaves me about an hour of digestion before ASGT).

    I'm just going to take tomorrow off and make sure I eat plenty, then we'll see how the next day goes(shoulders/traps).

    EDIT: Also, no way this one was from hypo glycemic... I ate about 14 oz of chicken, 2 pieces of wheat bread, and a bagel for breakfast. I'm just going to switch back to oatmeal...chicken sucks for breakfast, lol.
  24. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Yeah, taking it easy sounds like a good idea.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  25. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629267
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    36.94%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I have yet to puke even on leg days. And anyone that has seen my logs knows I dont mess around when it comes to legs. All this talk about puke is making me hungry though.
  26. New Member
    MongoSS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    960
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    77.19%

    Try to eat about 2 hours prior to training on leg day. Check your rest periods as well. Perhaps try to increase rest periods by 30 sec. on the big lifts.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Throwing Up on Dbol help?!?!?!
    By SWOLL in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
  2. help with bulking for throwing
    By Shane0Mac in forum Bulking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 09:36 AM
  3. throwing up during and after a workout???
    By d00fy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 07:17 PM
  4. TST/TRN/ZOL...just throwing it out there.
    By PumpingIron in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 06:05 PM
  5. Throwing Some Ideas Around
    By RRAdam in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 10:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in