Throwing up on leg day...

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Alright, so I have been lifting a little over a year and I haven't thrown up yet(I get so close on every single leg day, but not quite yet). Today I have been sitting here for an hour and the feeling is starting to go away. The woozy stomach, light head, etc... the basic signs of puking.

I don't plan on dropping the intensity any time soon, so what do you guys do to prevent upchucking? I have never had to sit for a whole freaking hour, drinking water, not able to move because I feel I'm going to puke if I do so much as get up(I actually had to to grab more water and a Cliff bar...which I still can't eat because it makes the stomach worse just smelling it).

Could it have anything to do with when I eat before legs? I ate about an hour and 15-30 mins before the WO today.

And yes, I know puking after your workout is more hardcore and crap, but lets get serious.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
Alright, so I have been lifting a little over a year and I haven't thrown up yet(I get so close on every single leg day, but not quite yet). Today I have been sitting here for an hour and the feeling is starting to go away. The woozy stomach, light head, etc... the basic signs of puking.

I don't plan on dropping the intensity any time soon, so what do you guys do to prevent upchucking? I have never had to sit for a whole freaking hour, drinking water, not able to move because I feel I'm going to puke if I do so much as get up(I actually had to to grab more water and a Cliff bar...which I still can't eat because it makes the stomach worse just smelling it).

Could it have anything to do with when I eat before legs? I ate about an hour and 15-30 mins before the WO today.

And yes, I know puking after your workout is more hardcore and crap, but lets get serious.
lol, i just did this on monday, i did legs in the morning, went had chipotle and puked it up in the parking lot, symptoms were dizzyness, cold sweats, hot flashes, and watery mouth. I did drink down a ABB quick recovery right before eating, so what gives. Its one of two things, either hypo or hyper glycemic.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Has happened to me more than once, throwing up after i get out of the gym. Usually just because my stomach is unsettled from food/preworkout/postworkout mixed with high intensity training.

Anyways, i think Universial/Animal makes shirts with the slogan "squat til you puke"

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
yeah i'd vote you went hypo and had no glycogen left to generate glucose so it took forever. i'd ensure you carb up pre and have a good post-wo shake immediately after.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Bleh, alrighty ladies. Thanks for the input/info.

I had 2 pieces of wheat bread and chicken strips(grilled strips > grilled breast). I guess I'll be eating Raman or something to maybe help out next time. I couldn't even drink my shake today because I figured the milk would screw me up even more. Ah well, was a great leg day.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In my experience, nausea during training has two sources:

1. nutritional/supplemental - I.e. you stimmed yourself out or your pre-workout meal was somehow off.

2. Sub-par anaerobic conditioning - There's a reason most guys hate leg day. Squats, DLs, Leg Press, etc. are big hard movements, with large demands on the cns and circulatory system. If you're under-conditioned, it isn't hard to nauseate yourself with a heavy set.

A couple months of supersetting breathing squats with db pullovers, and db swinging twice a week too, should take care of that for yah.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
In my experience, nausea during training has two sources:

1. nutritional/supplemental - I.e. you stimmed yourself out or your pre-workout meal was somehow off.

2. Sub-par anaerobic conditioning - There's a reason most guys hate leg day. Squats, DLs, Leg Press, etc. are big hard movements, with large demands on the cns and circulatory system. If you're under-conditioned, it isn't hard to nauseate yourself with a heavy set.

A couple months of supersetting breathing squats with db pullovers, and db swinging twice a week too, should take care of that for yah.
I agree with 99% of it. Widowmaker sets...are a gamble for me every time though lol.

elgenyo

elgenyo

Awards
  • Established
My nausea stopped when I started carbing up pre workout.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with 99% of it. Widowmaker sets...are a gamble for me every time though lol.
That's why you do them! Nothing builds anaerobic capacity like high-rep, heavy full-body lifts!

Now imagine supersetting a widowmaker with something else and you get an idea of what I'm talking about when I mention conditioning.

I have been able to do that in the past, but I've been focusing on lower rep squats for a bit, so I'd be a bit out of condition for that right now.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
That's why you do them! Nothing builds anaerobic capacity like high-rep, heavy full-body lifts!

Now imagine supersetting a widowmaker with something else and you get an idea of what I'm talking about when I mention conditioning.

I have been able to do that in the past, but I've been focusing on lower rep squats for a bit, so I'd be a bit out of condition for that right now.
Yea...I am not sure I could super set at all on a set of WM's....The 20th rep...is the final one lol...unless twitching is considered a set :laugh:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Two words OP: Puke & Rally
:head:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
When I'm sick and I puke, what's always going through my head is "Dammit, how many calories am I losing?!" Also, typically "Thank GOD the bathroom floor is nice and cool"
I was thinking the EXACT same thing last time I puked. ahhahahaha

I always feel 100x better after I do the deed though. Just get it over with and get back to work...while downing a shake or something for the lost calories of course.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Ya, I was actually tempted to after 10 mins of it not going away... I think next time I will just do it. I wasted 50 minutes of my life sitting in a chair watching judge shows. I'll never get that time back.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established

If you feel like your about to puke, calm down for a few secs, take some deep breaths.. Force yourself to burp out some air in your stomach..

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
If you feel like your about to puke, calm down for a few secs, take some deep breaths.. Force yourself to burp out some air in your stomach..
I actually did try. It didn't help at all. I was taking deep breaths, then when that didn't work I was thinking hydration, so I drank a lot of water... didn't help. Tried to eat and the smell made everything get worse(Cliff bar). I was inside for the full time(I'm 5 mins from the YMCA), temp is on 73 I believe. Would lying down have helped more than sitting?

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I actually did try. It didn't help at all. I was taking deep breaths, then when that didn't work I was thinking hydration, so I drank a lot of water... didn't help. Tried to eat and the smell made everything get worse(Cliff bar). I was inside for the full time(I'm 5 mins from the YMCA), temp is on 73 I believe. Would lying down have helped more than sitting?
BURP!!

Eating and drinking is a no no lol

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Ah screw it, I'm just gonna puke at the locker room at the Y. Maybe I can piss off one of the thirty naked 59 year olds that walk around bumping into each other as they walk by.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ah screw it, I'm just gonna puke at the locker room at the Y. Maybe I can piss off one of the thirty naked 59 year olds that walk around bumping into each other as they walk by.
lol, you'll feel better at least... Puke!! Just remember, if you do puke, you wont stop until your empty :D...

After the 400m sprint I did a couple years back, I wallked off the track, said I was good and puked once.. Then twice, three times, then 4 times :p

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
lol, you'll feel better at least... Puke!! Just remember, if you do puke, you wont stop until your empty :D...

After the 400m sprint I did a couple years back, I wallked off the track, said I was good and puked once.. Then twice, three times, then 4 times :p

Haha, nice. You didn't feel the wooziness before it all came up?

Last time I puked I had pneumonia and was told I would have died if I hadn't gone to a second doc o_O He said I woulda been toast in 2-3 days, lol. I puked atleast 60 times over the whole thing(about two weeks from start to finish) :/ I lost 20 lbs from eating nothing for so long(gatorade and bread at times). I was about a week from finishing my Hdrol.

So, puking scares me kinda. Guess I'll man up next time

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
What the hell. Today was chest/tries, and all I did was 4 working sets of flat DB presses and 3 working sets of incline flys and I starting feeling horrible again. It wasn't as bad as yesterday by any means but I left before it could get worse.

Maybe I'm coming down with something? I've been going to sleep around 1 something, waking up around 9:30(till the semester starts atleast), then hitting the gym around 11:40(I eat right when I wakeup, leaves me about an hour of digestion before ASGT).

I'm just going to take tomorrow off and make sure I eat plenty, then we'll see how the next day goes(shoulders/traps).

EDIT: Also, no way this one was from hypo glycemic... I ate about 14 oz of chicken, 2 pieces of wheat bread, and a bagel for breakfast. I'm just going to switch back to oatmeal...chicken sucks for breakfast, lol.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have yet to puke even on leg days. And anyone that has seen my logs knows I dont mess around when it comes to legs. All this talk about puke is making me hungry though.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Try to eat about 2 hours prior to training on leg day. Check your rest periods as well. Perhaps try to increase rest periods by 30 sec. on the big lifts.