Recomp sets/reps range?

B

Broly

Awards
  • Established
As I've asked in other post, I finally found what was the type of training that I should aim for and it's a recomp kind of training. I've also read Unreal's thread about recomp (http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/154753-but-i-want.html) and a bunch of questions come to my mind. As I found I should lift as heavy as for a bulk (I guess he talks about a strength focused reps/sets range) but cardio like a cut. So, at least theoricaly, I should do the heavy lift to get the muscular development needed but the cardio to burn all the fat, but can't I achieve the same goal by increasing the reps/sets range to still get the muscle stimulus needed to achive the muscular development needed but to reduce the amount of cardio, thus geting the same caloric expendure to get as lean as I wish and still having the muscular look?
If I'm thinking right, what should be the sets/reps range that I'll need? If I'm not what is the normal/right range of reps/sets for a recomp?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Well, that's a question for you to find the answer to by experimenting, and seeing what works for you.

Nothing beats cardio. Yes you can burn fat through weight training, buts its not the same as doing cardio.

Everyone is different, everyone responds differently. Pick a regiment, see how it works for you. If your not getting the desired results within a couple of weeks, change it up.

Recomps are tough. Its difficult to increase muscular development on a caloric defecit, and its difficult to burn fat on a caloric surplus.

Even sticking a needle in your ass does no good if you don't find a diet and training style that works for YOU. Screw what everyone else does.

S

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
A recomp is mostly about diet anyway so just do something that should stimulate muscular growth and get your diet dialed in. There's not anything magic about cardio that will help you recomp, it's just a way to burn some more calories (and the obvious overall health benefits of course). Some modest cardio is a relatively easy way to burn a few calories and shouldn't affect muscular growth provided you don't take it to extremes, so I would suggest including some in your training. Outside of beginners, recomposition is exceedingly difficult to pull off to any significant degree so you will constantly have to monitor and adjust things.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Yes u could do a cycle of say superdrone for example and it all comes down to diet whether u recomp or bulk

As above u will have to play around with routines but lift heavy do ur cardio and key will be to get the diet dialed in

B

Broly

Awards
  • Established
Hum, I see. So training comes second on a recomp, being diet the main concern that I should look. As far as training I should just simply find the work program that works for me, ad some cardio here and there to keep calories under control and let the time pass is that it?
Edwitt, as far as hormones I wouldn't touch there, the further that I might go is adding some ECA but that's only during festive times, as christmas and such where managing calories is hard, but you mentioned something about lift heavy, what would be in your opinion the best heavy lifting program that might work here?

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Hum, I see. So training comes second on a recomp, being diet the main concern that I should look. As far as training I should just simply find the work program that works for me, ad some cardio here and there to keep calories under control and let the time pass is that it?
Edwitt, as far as hormones I wouldn't touch there, the further that I might go is adding some ECA but that's only during festive times, as christmas and such where managing calories is hard, but you mentioned something about lift heavy, what would be in your opinion the best heavy lifting program that might work here?
Heres my log

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/150971-operation-get-swole.html

waist today -4.4", weight same 225lb, bench + 154lbs new PR today 375 x 7 :)

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
I can't see where you talk specifically about your workout regimen (sets x reps range), but nice result though:D
I'll tell u what worked for me but its not that much different from when I wad Bulking major did is diet and additional cardio

On my phone right now and its 5am so going back to.sleep :) if u post in my thread and.ask I def won't forhet, I answer all questions

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
IMO if you already have some good gains under your belt then 'recomping' without anabolics will probably be a waste of time. You are just going to maintain the status quo because by that is the signal that you are giving your body by eating at maintenance levels.

B

Broly

Awards
  • Established
Nitrox, sorry I haven't understand what you've said, could you explain in a simpler english?

E

Enantato

Awards
He's saying that unless you increase your calories, your weight will stay the same.
When you increase calories, you grow. When you decrease, you shrink. When you eat the same amount that you expend, you stay the same.
"Recomp" only really works noticeably for beginners. For people who have been working out for a while, it is more of a maintenance routine. It is possible to make muscular gains and decrease body fat on a "recomp" routine but this is achieved over an extended period of time, like a year.
If you want a recomp routine, you can incorporate compound sets with minimal rest periods so that you keep your heart rate elevated. You should also decrease your cardio if you do this.
IMO you should run a bulk. With a 6'6, 191 lb frame, it's obvious you dont have to worry about gaining excess fat.

B

Broly

Awards
  • Established
Thanks alot Enantato!:D
Yes I'm planning duing a recomp for long period, about a year, but that's much more like a small lean bulk and then really recomp. This past year I've attained 207lbs (from the skinny 160lb I've started 3 years ago), dirty 207lbs not lean ones, then I cutted untill this weight, so now I'm planning going to 195/200lbs and work them lean 'till about 8% bf, and keep them. I don't look for much muscle volume, as I've some pretty hard time keeping gains, so I look much more for a stable and easy keeping muscular frame on my body thus going on small steps:)
When you say compound sets you meant like 4 sets for compound exercises? So mainly focus on compound moviments but with little rest between sets?

S

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Given your height and weight, I'm going to be brutally honest here. At 6'6" and weighing 190-200 lbs. you aren't going to carry much muscle mass no matter how lean you get at that weight. I'm 5 inches shorter than you and I looked skinny at 205 with reasonably low bodyfat. In my opinion you need to focus on gaining muscle mass without getting excessively fat. Once you get some decent size, you can drop a little fat and you'll actually have some muscle mass left over. Focus on getting stronger at a few main compound movements in the 5 rep range and throw in a few higher rep isolation exercises as "finishers" and you'll be good to go. Just manipulate your diet so you add some muscle mass without adding too much excess fat.

E

Enantato

Awards
When you say compound sets you meant like 4 sets for compound exercises? So mainly focus on compound moviments but with little rest between sets?
By compound sets I mean taking two different lifts that work opposing muscle groups (such as bench press and bent over rows) and doing them back to back without rest. like this:
Set 1: Bench Press 10 reps (maybe 10-15 second rest to get to other lift)
Set 1a: Bent Over Rows 10 reps (maybe 10-15 second rest to get to other lift)
Set 2: Bench Press 10 reps (maybe 10-15 second rest to get to other lift)
Set 2a: Bent Over Rows 10 reps (maybe 10-15 second rest to get to other lift)
Set 3: Bench Press 10 reps (maybe 10-15 second rest to get to other lift)
Set 3a: Bent Over Rows 10 reps (maybe 10-15 second rest to get to other lift)
Set 4: Bench Press 10 reps (maybe 10-15 second rest to get to other lift)
Set 4a: Bent Over Rows 10 reps (maybe 10-15 second rest to get to other lift)

By eliminating rest periods you keep your heart rate up and burn more calories during the workout.

B

Broly

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Enantato, that's an extremely explanatory exemple and seems a pretty intense training, I'll try that for sure I'll post here the results;)
SRS2000, I apreciate alot the advice but I'm just looking to improve a little what I'm now, not saying that I'll have a bodybuilder type of physique at 195/200lbs with 8% of bf but I do know that I'll be as muscular as I want and look as good as I want.
One of the things that made me stop last year for 4 months was the idea of constantly bulking and cutting cycles to achive the goal I've marked in my mind, but since I've found this new goal I feel more motivated to the BB-like lifestyle, perhaps when I reach this goal I might want to get bigger but prefer go on small babysteps than doing hits and misses bulking/cutting trainings;) (sorry for the off topic and hope I didn't sound like I don't care about you've said, because, as I've said, I'll come to see this and other posts to learn and re-read what you guys have adviced me;)) Other thing that I start to think is that I may not be doing the right conversion between meters and feets, as in my country we use meters in stead of feets, so I go by the cellphone conversor to put my stats, so in case of doubt I'm 1,97m tall, check your cell phone's convesors to see if I'm right on my stats (for weight I do have weighted myself in a scale with lbs and kg;))