Spot or No Spot?

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
so, I'm curious how many of you guys workout with a partner / spotter?

personally, i workout with no spot and i can honestly say i've only dropped the bench once or twice in 3 years. however i have worked out with one or two buddies in the past but i always find that we end up standing around talking more then lifting...

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
I don't work out with a partner as I like to move pretty quickly through a workout.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Unless you're working out with someone to help them out, it's best to not have a partner unless their goals are the same as yours. If you can find someone who's going after the same things that's about the same level as you, it may be beneficial to workout with them. But if you're a lot stronger or weaker, it would cause problems with having to switch weights all the time. Also if they're not as serious as you it would cause problems.

As far as spotting goes, you should always use a spotter if you're handling really heavy weight. It's usually not a big deal to ask someone to spot you if you think you need it, just make sure the person spotting you knows what they're doing. If you're unsure of their experience, walk them through it real quick before you begin. Better to be safe than put faith in a spotter who may not know what he or she is doing.

Peace

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
No partner, But there are a few guys i will ask for a spot if needed..

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I go solo by choice and cuz I hate lifting w/ people.

Ill try to get a spot but if I cant I leave the clips off and get ready to bail on bench. never had to yet

w/ squats i set the bars n just go. never had to bail on that either.

sink or swim!!!!

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I work out alone in my basement, and had more than one "O-F" experience, but so far no broken ribs so no biggie :D

Nick3d

Awards
I personally work out alone and don't really use a spotter either, might have to change that up after spraining muscles in my back/chest the other day during a workout.

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
I go solo by choice and cuz I hate lifting w/ people.

Ill try to get a spot but if I cant I leave the clips off and get ready to bail on bench. never had to yet

w/ squats i set the bars n just go. never had to bail on that either.

sink or swim!!!!
thats what i do, no clips. and i lift consistantly enough that i know what i can handle and whats to much. once and a while (on bench only) if i'm feeling really jacked that day i may throw an extra 20lb on and ask for a spot but thats really the only time.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I'm surprised at how many of us don't use spotters O_O It just seems ironic how at most(of the ones I've been to) gyms say to please use a spotter :p

I don't use one either, but I know of a few guys that I have/could ask to spot for me whenever I need it. I mainly do DBs instead of BB because I have no spotter and am too much of a pansy to go higher weight(for me) without a spot >_>

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've always trained alone. However, sometimes I will need someone to help lift the DB into position re shoulder press and bench press (since I can't swing DB >45lb up by myself, even though I'm fine doing the exercise spotter-free once I get them into the starting position), and if I ever need a spotter when going extra heavy on any exercise, there are almost always few guys in the gym that I can ask to do it.

~Team APPNUT

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
I always train alone and don't use a weight or exercise in which I need a spotter.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
A spotter will help you get that extra one or two last reps where as you might not have been able to on your own. The growth zone. This is a good thing.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I'll occasionally use a spotter (Bench, Seated Military, Walking Lunges...wat?:blink:) but I tell them not to touch the bar. The only time I want them touching it is if I start to fail on a rep so that I don't crush my neck/ribs/etc.

I can't stand the over-zealous spotter. I wanted to yell at one yesterday but I needed to complete my set first.

On the other hand I can't stand the spotters that I see just sitting down behind the guy, or talking on their phone.

colbran

Awards
i also work out alone in garage. i add more weight every month or so . dont really do max weight work outs . just add 5 or 10 lbs in steps. i dont like talking while i work out. took my wife a while to understand this. lol

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
:laugh:
I'll occasionally use a spotter (Bench, Seated Military, Walking Lunges...wat?:blink:) but I tell them not to touch the bar. The only time I want them touching it is if I start to fail on a rep so that I don't crush my neck/ribs/etc.

I can't stand the over-zealous spotter. I wanted to yell at one yesterday but I needed to complete my set first.

On the other hand I can't stand the spotters that I see just sitting down behind the guy, or talking on their phone.
x2 on that ^

i actually watched a guy drop the bar (with only 145 on it...:laugh:) and his buddy who was suppose to be spotting him was starring off into space... :grumpy:

i always try to keep an eye out for anyone who looks to be putting a little to much on the bar just incase they don't make it. ive had to run over more then once and help someone out who couldn't quite get that last one up.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
ON steroids, NO SPOT. Off Steroids, I'll take what I can get ;)

mjr5214

Awards
I use a spotter for a few reasons. First, I believe it allows me to go for weights on a bench press or military press that would be dangerous if they were to come down. Second, the use of a knowledgeable spotter enables me to do heavy negatives to completely destroy my chest at the end of a workout. Lastly, for certain exercises such as db shoulder presses, I cant get the weight up to my shoulders but can press it easily.

On the other hand, it does slow me down and I will only use a spotter on certain days. Just my opinions...

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established

personally, i workout with no spot and i can honestly say i've only dropped the bench once or twice in 3 years. however i have worked out with one or two buddies in the past but i always find that we end up standing around talking more then lifting...
I tend to lift more with a spotter. He motivates me, slaps me around to get me aggressive, and I can lift more weight, knowing if I fail, I wont be crushed :D..

Its a big mental game for me..

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use a spotter for a few reasons. First, I believe it allows me to go for weights on a bench press or military press that would be dangerous if they were to come down. Second, the use of a knowledgeable spotter enables me to do heavy negatives to completely destroy my chest at the end of a workout. Lastly, for certain exercises such as db shoulder presses, I cant get the weight up to my shoulders but can press it easily.

On the other hand, it does slow me down and I will only use a spotter on certain days. Just my opinions...
x2 for the heavy ass shoulder presses!

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
I train alone so I've learned to workout without a spotter, ie when to go for that extra rep and when not too. I would actually prefer a spotter just to be able to go for it but I've had too many horrible experiences with spotters who I didn't know personally, see my post here Douchebags at the gym, for a more ranting like explanation about bad spotting.

TheOne310

Awards
i use the power rack for benching and shoulder BB press if I need that safety net, otherwise i just dont use the clamps to keep the weights on. if i have a mistake and drop the bench i just tilt it to one side and the weights slide off

CobbledPath

Awards
I generally train alone, but really do like a spotter on chest/shoulder day! x3 on seated shoulders!

kmcart

Awards
I'm about to lose my lifting partner and was trying to decide how I was gonna do it. I like having a spotter to push for that last rep I might not get but I guess the power rack will be there or I could always slide the weight off. I agree with gamer though on the mental part of it though that's big for me too.

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think th whole spotter or no spotter thing really depends on your training style. I favor extreme intensity over volume. So I Push harder than 99.9 percent of guys in the gym. Every set I go to the point of if it was life or death situation I could not get the bar up. Because of this extreme intensity I only do 4-5 sets per body part max even while on cycle. Leaning so dramatically towards intensity requires a spotter to not kill myself. If I don't got one I use DB usually.

Now someone like my brother for instance uses Lyle mcdonalds training program as he favors volume and frequency. When doing 6-9 sets on body parts you are not suppossed to go to absolute failure. In fact Lyle wants you to have one full rep in the tank in order for you to not over train at this volume. This style of training does not need a spotter.

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Btw I love having a workout partner for chest and back since my bench and especially dead lifts get pushed harder with moral support.

dropshot001

Awards
i workout alone in general. the only person i trust to spot me is my girlfriend

TeddyNorcross

Awards
I'd use a spotter (wouldn't be scared to go for the one last rep) but I can't find someone in the same strength range that wants to workout on the same schedule and doesn't want to talk for 5 minutes in between sets.

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
I'd use a spotter (wouldn't be scared to go for the one last rep) but I can't find someone in the same strength range that wants to workout on the same schedule and doesn't want to talk for 5 minutes in between sets.
Ditto. My problem also is that despite the fact that I complain alot and seem to dislike almost everybody, I can't help but be friendly when someone is being friendly to me. So if someone asks me something or talks to me I will engage them despite my real desire not too, in fact I was late to work from the gym because someone was asking me questions. This is why if I see someone I know marginally well at the gym, I just avoid them to save the 5 minutes.