Why do people space plates 2-3 inches from each other on leg press or hack squat?

LiLShAnK357

Awards
I seen a few videos on jay cutler back in 2005ish doing a hack squat and he spaced the plates on the bar about 2-3 inches away from each other... I have also seen a few people doing this on the leg sled/press at a few gyms

What does this accomplish? Does it make the lift harder or ?

Thanks

JohnBrinks

JohnBrinks

Awards
  • Established
They are afraid and double minded about what theyre doing and so they do it half heartedly. Thats what I think anyway. If you were confident and sure about what you were doing then you would do it firmly and properly.

Although it may make it unstable and therefore make it a stability excersise, but not on a bloody machine, its hard enough to activate Core and stabalising muscles on bloody unstable core exercises with unstable equipment, usually people send the force into the joints. :stupid::nono2:

In my experience the noise of rattling plates can motivate you when youre on your own.

But still I give it a definite :261:
JB

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
they want to look cool. It makes it look like your using more weight than there really is. I think that it is pointless but to each there own.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
I'm not really positive either. If it were free weights then maybe stability(like the other dude said), but no idea of why they would space them so much :/

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is no positive ergogenic reason for it, so its either some lame broscience, or sloppiness

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I would guess more leverage to push against but really can't see how that would work, either.

TheOne310

Awards
epicness. youll look up to see wtf that noise is and see a dude who resembles a rhino

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Half of all people are below average, lol.

JohnBrinks

JohnBrinks

Awards
  • Established
JohnBrinks

JohnBrinks

Awards
  • Established
I just realised if you speced them out a little so they rattle, what you could do is strain harder, enough to stop them rattling -> this will mean that your stabalisers are working all out to stop it it rattling and keep it still and doing as much stabalising as possible, and so making your joints more stable and your lifting more solid. :D