Shoulder injury, what could it be?

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
About 6 or 7 months ago I hurt my shoulder doing heavy dips (i think). The pain is around the anterior and medial delt, and it only hurts when I flat bench or dip. I can shoulder press, behind the neck press, leteral raise, incline bench, any other delt exercise with no pain at all.

I'm thinking it's a ligament issue. No insurance, so no Dr right now. I went through a bottle of cissus and it seemed to get better, might have to get another bottle.

Any other opinions on what it might be?

int3grat

int3grat

Awards
incorrect form on your bench and dip probably,..
could lead to a rotator injury.

pinch those shoulders together, and dont lean over so much when dipping.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like an AC impingement along with a tight biceps tendon.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
incorrect form on your bench and dip probably,..
could lead to a rotator injury.

pinch those shoulders together, and dont lean over so much when dipping.
I pinch the shoulders when I bench and I don't flare out the elbows. I've dipped the same way for years, even heavier than when I hurt it. I angle myself inbetween tricep dip and chest dip.

It was probably from how the plates flared out at the bottom while strapped on the weight belt chain. Had 3 on there, and I couldn't lock them inbetween my knees too well. Guess it threw me off balance.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Also, I have no pain during the day or loss of motion. Everything is fine until I get on flat bench.

Rodja, I found this on AC impingements. "Pain, weakness and loss of motion are the most common symptoms reported. Pain is exacerbated by overhead or above-the-shoulder activities. A frequent complaint is night pain, often disturbing sleep, particularly when the patient lies on the affected shoulder."

None of those are an issue for me. Is there more info on impingements or does that sum it up?

int3grat

int3grat

Awards
maybe steer clear from the flat bench for awhile, n let it rest for a bit, keep up the fish oil and rub anti flams.. see how u r in two weeks

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dont do dips or flat bench..for a few months..i like animal flex and i do rotator cuff exercises at the end of my workouts twice per week...very light weight..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, I have no pain during the day or loss of motion. Everything is fine until I get on flat bench.

Rodja, I found this on AC impingements. "Pain, weakness and loss of motion are the most common symptoms reported. Pain is exacerbated by overhead or above-the-shoulder activities. A frequent complaint is night pain, often disturbing sleep, particularly when the patient lies on the affected shoulder."

None of those are an issue for me. Is there more info on impingements or does that sum it up?
Do you have internally rotated shoulders?

Is the pain where the clavicle and humerus meet?

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Do you have internally rotated shoulders?

Is the pain where the clavicle and humerus meet?
It's about where the medial and anterior delt meet at the bottom, between the bicep and tricep.

Presa

Presa

Awards
  • Established
I had this same issue two years ago. I thought it was my shoulder but it was a small muscle with a tendon tear under my pec that tied into the front of my shoulder. Took an MRI to find it.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
^ Ouch, that sucks. Cissus is really helping so far. Guess I could use this time to bring up my lacking upper chest.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
try to do Thumbless grip fat bar floor press invest in the fat gripz... And benching of the floor will take stress of your shoulders, because you wont go past 90 degrees and fat gripz easy the pain in the shoulders too and so does not using your thumb.. I cant give the scientific reasonings behind it but ive learned to work around injuries from powerlifting. and This by far keeps the pain low.

akrit02

Awards
Hey guys im 15 years old and ive being hitting gym had for about a year ... i have seen significant results and feeling good but is there a way to get bulky without the fat on ur stomuch cause i really never have dieted down before and would liek to know the essentials of bulking and dieing down ?? please let meknow

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
try to do Thumbless grip fat bar floor press invest in the fat gripz... And benching of the floor will take stress of your shoulders, because you wont go past 90 degrees and fat gripz easy the pain in the shoulders too and so does not using your thumb.. I cant give the scientific reasonings behind it but ive learned to work around injuries from powerlifting. and This by far keeps the pain low.
The pain starts immediately as the bar starts the descend. I've always used a thumb grip and it does take a lot of stress off the shoulders, but I'm not comfortable with a thumbless grip. The bars at the gym are pretty skinny.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
The pain starts immediately as the bar starts the descend. I've always used a thumb grip and it does take a lot of stress off the shoulders, but I'm not comfortable with a thumbless grip. The bars at the gym are pretty skinny.
im not comfortable either but doing them off the ground will give u room if u get stuck just let it fall and it wont crush u lol