HYPERTROPHY

anoopbal

Awards
If you can go up in strength, you will put on some massive muscle too. It is hard to measure changes in muscle , but easy to keep track of your strength.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
My current routine is posted above. I've been doing it for only two weeks and lost about a quarter in in arms. I measured today on a tricep workout day and was 16 3/4in and measured last week on a rest day and was just barely touching 17

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My current routine is posted above. I've been doing it for only two weeks and lost about a quarter in in arms. I measured today on a tricep workout day and was 16 3/4in and measured last week on a rest day and was just barely touching 17
Those are some big arms.. Pic please...

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
That's the point. They're NOT big I want atleast 18in and I went down rather than up

Sweekaters

Awards
Dogcrapp training if you're advanced enough for it. It's basically a blend of strength / size training, and it's one of the best routines to put on mass.

anoopbal

Awards
Doggcrap philosophy is basically get stronger and you will get bigger.

Hence the emphasis on weight increase every workout.

Enantato

Awards
Simple hypertrophy routine:
3/4 day split, 4 sets per exercise, hypertrophy range is 7-12 reps, rest period 60-90 seconds between sets. nothing fancy, but thats what they teach me at the university and you don't have to purchase this advice.
If you give more detail on your workouts then we can go from there

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's the point. They're NOT big I want atleast 18in and I went down rather than up
17 inch arms are big, IDk what your talking about man.. Big for your size for sure..

Jasen in here is about 258 and his arms havent hit 17 I believe..

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
17 inch arms are big, IDk what your talking about man.. Big for your size for sure..

Jasen in here is about 258 and his arms havent hit 17 I believe..
thanks gamer. i know your not talking to me here but i got 17inchers and never thought of them as big

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
DC is one of the best programs you can do. Hypertrophy is mainly depended upon calories, but DC allows you the benefits of both high repetition work and heavy work.

There's huge debate on heavy reps vs. high reps. Both work pretty phenomenally for hypertrophy when the calories are right, but everyone argues which one is better. DC allows you to take advantage of both. It stimulates all the muscle fibers by the rest/pause, but it also allows you to lift heavy with the low volume.

You get both benefits with it. And you get the full body routine. You can't go wrong with DC, but remember that's for advanced trainees.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
DC training is complicated as helllllll
yes it is the first time around but once you get the program set up and your weights figured out it gets easier. my 1st blast went ok but i learned a lot and every blast after that has been smooth sailing

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
DC is one of the best programs you can do. Hypertrophy is mainly depended upon calories, but DC allows you the benefits of both high repetition work and heavy work.

There's huge debate on heavy reps vs. high reps. Both work pretty phenomenally for hypertrophy when the calories are right, but everyone argues which one is better. DC allows you to take advantage of both. It stimulates all the muscle fibers by the rest/pause, but it also allows you to lift heavy with the low volume.

You get both benefits with it. And you get the full body routine. You can't go wrong with DC, but remember that's for advanced trainees.
I've never used DC before, but I've read it over but it seemed too complicated and I was too lazy to decipher it all... Have any of you guys used Power/Rep Range/Shock? That seems to follow a heavy reps/high reps routine with different rest/pause ratios. Any thoughts on P/RR/S?

Sweekaters

Awards
DC training is NOT complicated. It gives you a split, you pick a bang for your buck exercise for each body part, and you do one rest pause set. Undulation is an optional part of the routine, and it's better not to do it if you're natural. Simple.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is such a loaded question, especially since we all know there is no one magic routine.

First, I think you need to define what type of hypertrophy you are looking to accomplish: sarcoplasmic or myofibril.

Second, it is much easier to increase one aspect while maintaining the other versus attempting to increase both at once. This is why periodization, especially non-linear periodization is so productive.

Third, a battery of tests can be done to see which mechanism of hypertrophy an individual may respond best to.

In general, sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (the increasing of intracellular organelles, the merging of satellite cells with the myofiber, and an increase in sarcoplasm) generally results from higher rep ranges with lower rest periods.
Myofibrillar hypertrophy (the increasing in number and density of contractile proteins), on the other hand, generally occurs with lower rep ranges and longer rest periods.

Personally, I have had the best results utilizing a 6 week mesocycle with 2 week microcycles. Week 1-2: increase sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, maintain myofibril and strength/power. Week 3-4: increase myofibril while maintaining sarcoplasmic and strength/power. Week 5-6: increase strength and power while maintaining hypertrophy gains. Week 7 deload.

If you want to get more specific, you can focus on increasing different aspects in different body parts of movements; but this can be complicated for most amatuer trainees.

Br

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I really wanna do DC myself, but with no local gym and just my bench w/ squat towers I can't do so safelly.

So I just do a simple Push/Pull/Legs, 3 sets, 6-10 reps, upping reps then upping the weight. I start w/ compounds, then after all my isloations I'll add more weight to my 1st compound (bench, squat, military press, etc) then do a few reps w/ slow negatives. Deads I'll drop the weight after then do I higher rep range.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I take the asteroid stack and normally have really firm biceps. But yesterday I had a really hard bicep day at the gym and really really worked it til exhaustion. Is it normal for them to not be as firm? And they're sore as hell ;)