Fitness vs. bodybuilding training

  1. Advanced Member
    Broly's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    6579
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    29.69%

    Fitness vs. bodybuilding training


    I've been training for the last 3 years, but more and more I found much more interest in getting a body type like the ones on the fitness magazines covers (I guess you could call it the model type of body) than the ones that cover bodybuilding magazines (the bodybuilder/ mass focused type of body).
    So, since all I've been reading for the last few years about training is bodybuilding and/or strength related and I'm looking for a change into a more fintess focused type of training, what are the main diferences and basics of a fitness training?

    (I hope I'm not using an incorrect expression when I say "fitness", but here where I live we have two very distinct expressions to each kind of body ("corpo de culturista" for the bodybuilder body and "corpo de modelo" for a fitness body))

  2. Elite Member
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,262
    Rep Power
    234821
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    92.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    not sure what youre getting at, like an A&F model?

    I am a power lifter n I look better than them.

    Just focus on body building I guess but Idk if youre just trying to get a beach body or a skinny ethopian look going on?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  3. Advanced Member
    Broly's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    6579
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    29.69%

    I'm talking about a Men'sFitness cover kind of body and not a Flex cover kind of body, i.e., a muscular and lean body, but not much focused in a big volume of muscle mass or huge strength gains get it?

    Sorry for my lack of hability to express myself
    •   
       

  4. crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,430
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Broly View Post
    I've been training for the last 3 years, but more and more I found much more interest in getting a body type like the ones on the fitness magazines covers (I guess you could call it the model type of body) than the ones that cover bodybuilding magazines (the bodybuilder/ mass focused type of body).
    So, since all I've been reading for the last few years about training is bodybuilding and/or strength related and I'm looking for a change into a more fintess focused type of training, what are the main diferences and basics of a fitness training?

    (I hope I'm not using an incorrect expression when I say "fitness", but here where I live we have two very distinct expressions to each kind of body ("corpo de culturista" for the bodybuilder body and "corpo de modelo" for a fitness body))
    basically athletic look vs bodybuilder look.
  5. Elite Member
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,262
    Rep Power
    234821
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    92.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    ok i gotcha, i just googled it.

    well just keep focusing on body building, you wont look like someone on the cover of flex without AAS
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  6. Professional Member
    chocolatemilk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,804
    Rep Power
    9976
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    63.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    You're going down the wrong path IMO lol but I'll help you...

    You are 6'6 191 pounds... what is your bodyfat?
  7. Professional Member
    chocolatemilk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,804
    Rep Power
    9976
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    63.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    ok i gotcha, i just googled it.

    well just keep focusing on body building, you wont look like someone on the cover of flex without AAS
    True dat lol...
  8. Advanced Member
    Broly's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    6579
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    29.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemilk View Post
    You're going down the wrong path IMO lol but I'll help you...

    You are 6'6 191 pounds... what is your bodyfat?
    10% I've went till 205lbs this Winter, then cutted for summer as my bulk was pretty dirty. And that's one, among other things, what I feel like I'm not willing to repeat, bulking and cutting cycles. Plus this last bulking phase that I've done I was trying to see how heavy can I get since I have a pretty fast metabolism, and 205lbs was my maximum weight staying that weight from December to February and I was eating 8 times a day roughly 900kcals per meal - just to damn much work and pushing down food than the benefits.
  9. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Broly View Post
    I'm talking about a Men'sFitness cover kind of body and not a Flex cover kind of body, i.e., a muscular and lean body, but not much focused in a big volume of muscle mass or huge strength gains get it?

    Sorry for my lack of hability to express myself
    Dude, fitness models bodybuild.. How big you get depends on your diet, not what type of training style you use..
  10. Advanced Member
    Broly's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    6579
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    29.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    ok i gotcha, i just googled it.

    well just keep focusing on body building, you wont look like someone on the cover of flex without AAS
    So basicaly there's no change in the kind of training needed to achieve either kind of body is that it?
    And yes, I do know the roids part
  11. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    14.4%

    Quote Originally Posted by GeekPoop View Post
    ok i gotcha, i just googled it.

    well just keep focusing on body building, you wont look like someone on the cover of flex without AAS
    This is right. You're not going to accidentally look like anyone on the cover of FLEX by simply training like a bodybuilder. Train in a way that is most optimal to gain muscle and you can always go into maintenance mode if you get to a point where you are satisfied.
  12. Advanced Member
    Broly's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    6579
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    29.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    Dude, fitness models bodybuild.. How big you get depends on your diet, not what type of training style you use..
    I know what you mean and agree with you to some extent, but you've also to agree that diferent kinds of training will also define the body you'll get. See for exemple when we're doing our cutting or bulking phases, we change reps, sets and resting times between sets to achieve a certain objective don't we?
  13. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Broly View Post
    I know what you mean and agree with you to some extent, but you've also to agree that diferent kinds of training will also define the body you'll get. See for exemple when we're doing our cutting or bulking phases, we change reps, sets and resting times between sets to achieve a certain objective don't we?
    No, the different rep ranges and supersets dictate how many calories are to be burnt.. You could be on a cut, have a hypertrophy routine and just cardio everyday to meet your caloric goal on a cut.. You understand? I could have a powerlifting routine, which is for strength, but could also grow depending on my diet..

    Diet is the key to everything.
  14. Advanced Member
    Broly's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    6579
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    29.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    This is right. You're not going to accidentally look like anyone on the cover of FLEX by simply training like a bodybuilder. Train in a way that is most optimal to gain muscle and you can always go into maintenance mode if you get to a point where you are satisfied.
    SRS2000, I've finally found the words for what I meant to say right from the begining!
    What I'm trying to say is that basicaly I'm happy with my current body weight but I'd like to keep it in maintenance mode but in the lean side, in other words, I would like to change it from 190lb with 10% of bf to 190lb with 7% of bf What's the training that I should look for?
  15. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Broly View Post
    SRS2000, I've finally found the words for what I meant to say right from the begining!
    What I'm trying to say is that basicaly I'm happy with my current body weight but I'd like to keep it in maintenance mode but in the lean side, in other words, I would like to change it from 190lb with 10% of bf to 190lb with 7% of bf What's the training that I should look for?
    Not training goddamnt, diet!! Thats called a focking recomp lol.... Unreal has a guide for that.
  16. Advanced Member
    Broly's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    6579
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    29.69%

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    No, the different rep ranges and supersets dictate how many calories are to be burnt.. You could be on a cut, have a hypertrophy routine and just cardio everyday to meet your caloric goal on a cut.. You understand? I could have a powerlifting routine, which is for strength, but could also grow depending on my diet..

    Diet is the key to everything.
    Oh, now I see what you meant with "diet is everyhting". I was writting the post while you were writting this one
    Btw, Unreal's thread about recomp is pretty good
  17. Advanced Member
    Broly's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    6579
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    29.69%

    I've been reading and re-reading Unreal's thread about recomp ("But i want to get big AND ripped!" How to run a RECOMP cycle) and I've been wondering, if I increase reps I may be able to do less cardio to achive the same caloric comsumption, but since all it say is about lifting like bulking, wich I assume that he means lift heavy, so what would be the sweet spot of reps/sets range to achive that "heavy lifting" and not so intensive cardio?
    Plus, he talks about doing all of that while using "hardcore supplements" (anabolics and stims), is it logical to use just the ECA part of the "hardocore supplements"?
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 01:52 PM
  2. exercise/fitness/bodybuilding and/or mma DVDs
    By KLF in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 11:48 AM
  3. Female Fitness and Bodybuilding - Any Woman Can!
    By FemBot in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 10:44 PM
  4. New England Bodybuilding, Figure, Fitness
    By Beowulf in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 12:47 AM
  5. What got you into fitness/bodybuilding??
    By Blazer88 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-13-2002, 05:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in