dead on leg or back day

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
This is probably one of the most basic questions but still would like opinions.

What day is the best to dead on? Back or leg day

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive been doing legs every other week(got me some big ol legs) So the weeks I do legs I do stiff leg deads then. The weeks I dont do legs I do Deads. Today was my back day, I did legs friday. I tried rack pulls, and think they were a bit much after stiff legs on friday. Super low back pumps, almost unbearable.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I used to do deadlifts on back day just because i consdidered it a "back" workout. One day i switched it up to leg day, and i realized i could lift better numbers, even after intense leg workouts, and total back soreness was down(my back is always sore after deads).

So leg day is my personal preference.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
so then dead after squats would be legit? and then no lower back on back day

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
That's how i roll, not saying it's the right way. Give it a try and see what you like better or what works better for your body.

Also, i do the push/pull/leg split, working out every other day.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, im still playing with the deads. Mixing it up. Seeing what would BENEFIT me the most.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
i actually did dead on squat day last week and my hamms have never been hit harder

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
Deads are seen primarily as a back workout, so I always do them on back day. They give me an awesome and incomparable lower back pump...

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i have seperate days based on my lifts but Id either do it 1st on back day or following squats. depends how much volume youre doing iMO

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Back day for sure.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
People have done it both ways and been successful. There are advantages to both approaches, so you just have to decide which way you are more comfortable with. Honestly I think your results are likely to be similar with each approach, so there's no real right or wrong answer.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
I do my deads right after squats on leg day. As someone else said, it really hits your hams well. I used to do deads on back day and hated the lower back pain (like someone else also said).

My weights didn't change much by switching days, but the back pain is wayyyy down when I switched the deads over to leg day.

crush22

Awards
Have toyed with both versions. Really prefer to do them first on back days.

In fact, I pulled a PR today of 500 for 4 reps. Pretty psyched about that.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
so then dead after squats would be legit? and then no lower back on back day
I recently just switched to a two day on, one day off split that consists of an upper A/B day and a lower A/B day. Looks like this...

Upper A - Bench, Power Clean, BB Rows, BB Shrugs, Bi & Tri exercise, DB Press

Lower A - Front Squat, Dead, 1 quad exercise, 2 hamstring exercise, 1 calve exercise

Off

Upper B - Bench, Clean and Press, Military Press, Lat Pull, DB Shrug, Bi + Tri exercise

Lower B - Back Squat, SLDL, Leg Press, BB Hack Squat, 1 or 2 hamstring exercise, 1 calve exercise

Off

Repeat

Lots of ways you can set it up. If i'm doing 7 exercises I do 3 working sets...if i'm doing 6 exercises i'm doing 4 working sets.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i've done it both ways, my DL day on my push/pull split went:

DL
Curls
Pull ups
SLDL
RP @ knees

and under 5/3/1 I do DLs on typical "back day"
DL
BOR
Yates row
shrugs
chins
calves

so you decide! whatever works for you.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I usually perform deads on their own day. I'll do about 4-5 sets. first three to four will be full deads. The last one too two sets will be done as partials.

I keep my reps very low (1-3) so by the time I'm done, my CNS is taxed.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
sounds good guys looks like everyone has their own set up

MEPSE

MEPSE

Awards
I like stiff-leg deadlifts on leg day. I usually do squats, hack squats, and stiff-leg deadlifts, in that order. I would use standard deads on back day, but I don't do standard any more.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Man i read urbanski's post and i was trying to figure out what the heck a Single Leg Dead Lift was :lol:

i don't know why stiff leg didn't occur to me :think:

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I think the way to do it is to change a 3 day split to a 4....

Back
Legs
Chest
Deads/Squats.....

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I like to keep them separate, because I go all out on whichever one I am doing. I want maximum rest before I do either. I imagine my numbers would be drastically lower if I did both in the same day.

RedneckDB

Awards
I do regular deadlifts on back day and Romanian deadlifts on leg day, I usually have to keep about 4 days between back and leg day so I can squat/dead 'fresh'

RedneckDB

Awards
I do regular deadlifts on back day and Romanian deadlifts on leg day, I usually have to keep about 4 days between back and leg day so I can squat/dead 'fresh'

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I originally did them on leg day- but I switched it to back day after speaking with a friend/ trainer (who actually knows his stuff not just someone with certifications)

I have added 60 lbs to my dead lift (repping it out 8 times) in about 4 months

Not saying its cause i switched it to back day- i just find my body likes it more

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Keep em separate and grow strong. SLDL are aight on leg day IMO though.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Too much cns overload if you do them both in the same day. Depending on the type of deadlift it can become mostly a leg or mostly a back exercise. You could always do a split, quad and squats with deadlift and hams being on a diff day.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
I would do it on back day. It already works a lot of back and you can concentrate on lifting as much as possible. Your strength will be limited on leg day.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I disagree, i don't think leg strength will be the limiting factor on deadlifts.