One rep max calculation question....

tshaw024

Awards
I currently bench 225 anywhere between 20-25 reps. I have a distal fracture in the end of my clavicle and that is the heaviest weight I can lift without aggravating my shoulder. Is there any way to calculate a one rep max with repititions of more than 10?

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
weight / (1.0278-(.0278* reps) at 225 20 reps= 477
weight*(reps x .033+1) at 225 20 reps =374

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I would say no, the weights become extremely distorted the higher number of reps and the formula seems to break down.

I can do 225 about 20 times and there is no way I could max 370-480...

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
This is what I found when I googled it...

315 8-14
365 18-22
405 25-30
455 32-38
495 40-45

tshaw024

Awards
Yah I seem to think closer to 30 reps at 225 would be roughly a 400 lb bench max

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
I can do 32reps at 225 and I maxed bench at 405 for whatever thats worth

I also did a fair amount of high rep training while boxing, so I got used to doing sets of 100 pushups and what not

Not to mention the technique of combine benching is different then max benching. Breathing is more important in max and pace is crucial in combine.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would say they all have a good margin of inaccuracy. It is a generalized equation not taking into account different types of muscle fiber domination in different people. Also CNS training for higher rep training. One can not train in the 6-12 range building mass then expect to pick up 225 and get max reps right then and there. Would take 2-3 weeks of that type of training to retain CNS for that type of lifting to find muscular ability to lift max reps. Otherwise it is all depending on CNS condition and ATP efficiency. However once doing this there is no way your CNS would be ready to move the max effort weight at the top. So the type of training you are doing for a period of time can totally skew that equation. However for estimation of one rep max for most programs it is more than likely accurate enough for a person to use to find weights to use in the program.