New workout routine

ronaldino

Awards
Hey guys,
Just started lifting again after a long break (almost a year). I am starting to get back into it but am looking for a good workout routine to start off with. For the past 2 years before the break, I have always stuck with something like a 4 day split routine. I would do something like this:

Mon: Back Bis
Tues: Chest, Tris, Abs
Wed: Shoulders, Legs
Thursday: Abs, Forearms, Cardio
Friday:Rest
Saturday:Rest
Sunday:Start all over

I am looking to see if there are any other suggestions though. My main focus hasn't been on compound movements (more isolation) and I regret that now. I have heard a lot about 5x5 routines but I just can't wrap my head around training only 3 times a week. I have always trained about 5 out of the 7 days of the week. If anyone has any suggestions for a program let me know. Also if there any good books out there to read (for training programs and nutrition) let me know as I have easy access to most books available and would enjoy a good read. By the way my goals are mainly to gain size and strength. I am carrying some extra fat but I feel like that will slim down slowly along with the training anyways. Thanks

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
You need to answer this question for yourself: Do you want to train for the sake of training or do you want to train the best way to get the best possible results in the fastest time possible?
The reason you only train 3x/week on a 5x5 program is that you are pushing yourself pretty hard with big, heavy movements (SQ, DL, BP, overhead press, etc...) and you can't recover if you train more often than that. A good 5x5 set-up has been proven over years and years to be effective, while what you are doing probably doesn't have that same track record.
I don't like your set-up for a few reasons. 1)You are doing 3 hard training days in a row then have an easy day followed by 2 rest days. You would be better off spreading out the heavy work. 2) You are throwing in your leg work like an afterthought. You have an entire day for chest and triceps, yet you are putting legs with something else even though there is a ton more muscle mass in the lower body than in the chest and triceps. 3) You use your abs heavily in most lower body movements (i.e. squats) yet you work them the day before your leg day. You would be better served doing ab work on the days you work your lower body and certainly not the day immediately prior. 4) You do your shoulder work the day after your chest and triceps. All pressing movements use both the shoulders and triceps and you are trying to do heavy pressing on back to back days.
Here are some options if you are serious about getting big and strong:
- 5x5 type of program; this could be Starting Strength (if you are still a beginner), Texas method, or some 5x5 program written by Bill Starr; any of these would be better than what you are doing now
- 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler; You can buy this in e-book or hard copy form for ~$20 and will tell you exactly how to set up a program that will yield results in the long-term; I would suggest the boring but big assistance work template to start with if you go this route

ronaldino

Awards
You need to answer this question for yourself: Do you want to train for the sake of training or do you want to train the best way to get the best possible results in the fastest time possible?
The reason you only train 3x/week on a 5x5 program is that you are pushing yourself pretty hard with big, heavy movements (SQ, DL, BP, overhead press, etc...) and you can't recover if you train more often than that. A good 5x5 set-up has been proven over years and years to be effective, while what you are doing probably doesn't have that same track record.
I don't like your set-up for a few reasons. 1)You are doing 3 hard training days in a row then have an easy day followed by 2 rest days. You would be better off spreading out the heavy work. 2) You are throwing in your leg work like an afterthought. You have an entire day for chest and triceps, yet you are putting legs with something else even though there is a ton more muscle mass in the lower body than in the chest and triceps. 3) You use your abs heavily in most lower body movements (i.e. squats) yet you work them the day before your leg day. You would be better served doing ab work on the days you work your lower body and certainly not the day immediately prior. 4) You do your shoulder work the day after your chest and triceps. All pressing movements use both the shoulders and triceps and you are trying to do heavy pressing on back to back days.
Here are some options if you are serious about getting big and strong:
- 5x5 type of program; this could be Starting Strength (if you are still a beginner), Texas method, or some 5x5 program written by Bill Starr; any of these would be better than what you are doing now
- 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler; You can buy this in e-book or hard copy form for ~$20 and will tell you exactly how to set up a program that will yield results in the long-term; I would suggest the boring but big assistance work template to start with if you go this route
Thank You, I appreciate the constructive criticism. I'm here to learn not boast or pretend I am more knowledgeable in this subject then I really am. I did not notice the flaws you mentioned actually until you brought them up. I guess I "feel" like there are days wasted with only working out 3 days a week. But I do know that it has been a tried and tested routine with a lot of success. I will definitely look into the ones you recommended. Thanks again.

And I'm all ears for any other suggestions and/or constructive criticism

ronaldino

Awards
bump... suggestions whether bill starr's 5x5 routines or rippetoes starting strength routine would be better for both strength and size? (with caloric surplus of course)

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
If you are just starting back after a long layoff, Starting Strength will be best as it will alllow for the fastest linear gains in strength and size (provided you eat enough). Once you have stalled and reset a few times, then move on to something like the Texas method. Just make sure if you do the program start at the correct weight and progress exactly like the program says (i.e. don't start too heavy and don't try to make bigger weight jumps than are called for).

ronaldino

Awards
If you are just starting back after a long layoff, Starting Strength will be best as it will alllow for the fastest linear gains in strength and size (provided you eat enough). Once you have stalled and reset a few times, then move on to something like the Texas method. Just make sure if you do the program start at the correct weight and progress exactly like the program says (i.e. don't start too heavy and don't try to make bigger weight jumps than are called for).
Thanks, that was what I was thinking of doing but I've read a lot that there are not much size gains on a strength program like this so I was wondering if a 5x5 program offer more hypertrophy (due to more volume) then a program like starting strength which is for the most part 3x5 (from my understanding)

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Starting Strength will put plenty of size on anyone who does it correctly. Remember that you will be squatting three times a week with weights that are challenging (after the first couple weeks) as well as some heavy pressing and some deadlifts thrown in once a week as well. This is more than enough to gain size with a caloric surplus. Remember that Rippetoe routinely puts 30-50 lbs. on skinny teenagers in six months or less. Granted that is with those who are willing to gain some fat, but even if you cut those numbers in half by trying not to gain as much fat, it's still a pretty impressive weight gain.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I agree w/ SRS.

Depending on how much youve lifted before you can / could try 5x5 as well. Both are pretty similar just doing the basic compound lifts. They have HUGE carry over strength and will be the bread and butter for any training regime in the future.